PDA

View Full Version : Emissions Inspection

StevEvo
07-01-2005, 07:05 AM
Hey People great meet last night at Absolute. Quick question are there any emissions friendly inspection stations in the Levittown area. I have a 2003 Evo with a test pipe and really don't want to put the cat back on for the inspection. Any help would be appreciated. BTW it has the cell fix and doesn't throw any codes.

smp606
07-07-2005, 02:20 AM
Hey People great meet last night at Absolute. Quick question are there any emissions friendly inspection stations in the Levittown area. I have a 2003 Evo with a test pipe and really don't want to put the cat back on for the inspection. Any help would be appreciated. BTW it has the cell fix and doesn't throw any codes.

As long as your car is not throwing a CEL, and all readiness codes are set in the ECU, you should pass.

what exactly is the "CEL Fix" ?

StevEvo
07-07-2005, 02:56 PM
There are either mechanical or electrical fixes that keep the computer from seeing that there is no catalytic converter.

I am using the mechanical fix which just removes the oxygen sensor away from the exhaust stream. Almost two weeks since work was done on car and no SEL yet. Knock on wood.

Chair-Force
07-07-2005, 03:37 PM

As long as your car is not throwing a CEL, and all readiness codes are set in the ECU, you should pass.

You'll pass the emission part but you'll fail the visual inspection part.

Some mechanics are too lazy look or dont care but legally it would fail visual.

sfd
07-07-2005, 06:03 PM

yea i was about to say, you'd fail a visual test. and visual is usually quick and easy...as well as where people get nailed. Consider that other counties don't have emission testing, its only visual. When i bought my car i couldn't get it to pass emissions. no one ever knew there was a problem because where i bought the car they only did visuall.

btw how do you plan to pass emissions without a cat even without it throwing codes? codes or no codes, the emitted exhaust has a higher reading. There are 3 tests and let me tell you, from others I've spoken with our numbers are hella high/hard to pass.

i think you'd have it easier to find a mechanic who isnt too hard up on the numbers rather than a visual test. it's a lot harder to prove your car was illegally passed from an emission test than visual. If you ever got pulled over, what are the chances a cop is going to say let me see your emission testing print out? But he may just look under the car. Then you're screwed and so is the mechanic.

Zeropistonz
07-07-2005, 06:26 PM
I work at a Mitsubishi dealership... PM me for details.

smp606
07-07-2005, 07:40 PM

yea i was about to say, you'd fail a visual test. and visual is usually quick and easy...as well as where people get nailed. Consider that other counties don't have emission testing, its only visual. When i bought my car i couldn't get it to pass emissions. no one ever knew there was a problem because where i bought the car they only did visuall.

btw how do you plan to pass emissions without a cat even without it throwing codes? codes or no codes, the emitted exhaust has a higher reading. There are 3 tests and let me tell you, from others I've spoken with our numbers are hella high/hard to pass.

i think you'd have it easier to find a mechanic who isnt too hard up on the numbers rather than a visual test. it's a lot harder to prove your car was illegally passed from an emission test than visual. If you ever got pulled over, what are the chances a cop is going to say let me see your emission testing print out? But he may just look under the car. Then you're screwed and so is the mechanic.

I have seen a few places only go by the OBDII readiness codes and could care less about a visual...why? Because theoretically if the car was putting out higher than normal exhaust emissions, the ECU would see this on the secoondary o2 and throw a code causing a CEL and failure of your emissions test.

I would say talk to someone who knows of a place that just does the enhanced emissions test without a real visual and give it a shot.

sfd
07-07-2005, 10:02 PM

I have seen a few places only go by the OBDII readiness codes and could care less about a visual...why? Because theoretically if the car was putting out higher than normal exhaust emissions, the ECU would see this on the secoondary o2 and throw a code causing a CEL and failure of your emissions test.

I would say talk to someone who knows of a place that just does the enhanced emissions test without a real visual and give it a shot.

To be honest, I wouldn't want a shop like that touching my car. Unless they are only specific to 1995.5 and up models. Otherwise, that's a load of crap. What about anything running OBD1 or older? What about a car running some type of stand alone or tap in computer system? The computer may not be compensating as expected or reprogrammed for something else (i.e. F/I) and they just basically plugged a sensor to your muffler for $50 of nothing.

smp606
07-07-2005, 11:06 PM

To be honest, I wouldn't want a shop like that touching my car. Unless they are only specific to 1995.5 and up models. Otherwise, that's a load of crap. What about anything running OBD1 or older? What about a car running some type of stand alone or tap in computer system? The computer may not be compensating as expected or reprogrammed for something else (i.e. F/I) and they just basically plugged a sensor to your muffler for $50 of nothing.

This is only done with OBDII vehicles (96 and up) as they have readiness codes for emissions purposes. With older OBDI vehicles, the sniffer test is the primary means of testing emissions. (O2 sensor in the tail pipe)

ZQ8Rado
07-11-2005, 04:23 PM
you can take it to my dads shop pm me if you want details