PDA

View Full Version : GMC Jimmy, long cranking problem

Intercooled T
04-17-2007, 09:18 AM
01 Jimmy, has the factory alternator, battery & I'm assuming the starter is factory. Remote starting the car and cranking it manually took 6-10 seconds to get it to turn over. I replaced the battery since it was on its last leg, and I tested the alternator and it is indeed charging fine. When I drove to work this morning, I came to a stop at a light and the rpms dropped to 0 and it stalled out. Put it in park and it fired back up without hesitation. I'm almost positive the starter being bad wouldn't have affect on the idle, so now I'm thinking possibly fuel pump, ignition module, etc

With the battery and alternator ruled out, do you agree I should look to the starter next, or is there something more prone to going bad on these SUVs? Anything ignition-related possibly?

i'd appreciate input from anyone who has owned one of these 4.3 s10/jimmy/bravadas, perhaps you had the same issue.

JSeoul
04-17-2007, 09:34 AM
Does your CEL turn on at all ever? Are you giving it enough time to warm up?

Intercooled T
04-17-2007, 09:41 AM
no SES light, giving it too much time to start lol....its 50/50 if it wants to startup in one shot or take 10 seconds to crank and turn over. :(

Intercooled T
04-17-2007, 09:57 AM
Was just told a leaky/open injector would cause the car to get flooded when the fuel pump turns on, and spray too much fuel in the system. This would also explain how it drops in low rpms with too much fuel. Hmmmph, time to get some injector cleaner.... :(