PDA

View Full Version : My Journal...

TurboDSMJ
04-15-2007, 01:53 AM
Well, it's 12:56, and I am tired, and dreading getting up for work. SO, journal time. It won't be much, just the history of my first two cars, and my current one, which won't be seeing any real modifications anytime soon. Enjoy.

My First Car...

Right before I turned 16, I bought my Brother's black 1997 GSX. I know I know, who the heck buys a 7-bolt DSM? What was I, drunk? Well, no, I wasn't. The car was CLEAN, only one minor rust spot which was taken care of, and it was against the rear glass, hidden by the large 2GB turbo wing. The paint was perfect on the car, it had 93,000 miles on the chassis and motor when I got my hands on it, and there wasn't a dent on it.

My Brother bought the car bone stock, he went through a little ricer stage, and bought CF altezza tailights for it, and a CF interior trim kit, which didn't go too well with the tan leather. Also, he lowered the car on Eibach Pro springs, and left the shocks untouched. He also added clear corners, projector headlights, an air filter, and a Apex'i BOV. Then I got the car, I ditched the CF altezza's for an OEM set of tailights, which I had him spray a light coating of VHT niteshade on, and it really made the car look nice. After that, a stock set of headlights went in, and I left the clear corners alone. The car was looking clean and sitting pretty.

Two day's after I got my license, I dropped the car off at my buddies shop, First State Motorsports. The car got a new timing belt, and the water pump was done before I got my hands on the car. Also, which it was down there, I got a Apex'i GT SS 2.5'' downpipe put on, a 3'' high flow cat, and a 3'' SS Apex'i N1 cat back put on. It cost $1,100 for the exhaust, and was well worth it, the car sounded mean, mean enough to where I still think about it here and there. Once the exhaust was done, I got a Hallman ES manual boost controller put on, and set it at 13psi. On my way to the track on the 1-2 shift, there was a LOUD pop, and after that the car ran hot, so being the cheapskate I was, I just left the heat on since it was chilly out haha. Needless to say it didn't get run at the track, which sucks, because a week after that, I wrecked it.

Going around a turn in the rain on Dutton Mill road, I was close to the double yellow line to avoid hitting large branches that had fallen from the wind/rain. The sedan coming at me around the turn had the same idea, except they decided to be over the line. I swerved to avoid them, and slid the car off the road at about 30mph. The only problem was, is that my front driver side wheel went directly into a 3x3 cement block used to hold a street sign that had been removed. The incline of the ditch added to the mayhem by causing the car to turn over into a thorne bush. I kicked the way out of the car with my friend. I walked away with a few scratches, and a temporary loss of hearing. My buddy had a slight concussion. The officers on the scene said if we were speeding we would of died, no questions asked. So I watched the tow truck drag the car from the ditch, and the side mount intercooler scrape the whole way. :(

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/1631/gsx2fr9.th.jpg

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/2870/gsxtu9.th.jpg

I got a healthy amount for the car from insurance, and decided to go with something reliable and that would make a good daily.

My Second Car...

On a whim, I spotted this car at Garnet Volkswagen at 2AM. The following day I went to pick it up knowing it was what I wanted. I arrive to see a young lady, beautiful I might add, look it over with her father. It was a 2001 Jetta Wolfsburg, galactic blue, with OEM 2 piece BBS wheels, and GTI sport bucket black interior. The young lady said she wanted it, and the father suggested they take one more look around the lot, so I immediatly jumped on the car, and took it for a test drive. I loved the car, the baby turbo spooling, and the feel of the seats, it was an awesome cruiser. So I get back in the lot, intending to take another look around, and the salesman helping the young lady comes running over asking for the keys, to go for a test drive. My salesman looks over at me holding the keys in his hand, as I say, "I'll pay cash, right now." The other salesman turns around, as the girl starts to yell at her father and cry, and she said she is done, and walks away. Never in my life was I so happy to see a girl cry haha.

I did a bunch of stuff to the car, but was never satisfied. It would never hook, and always had some problems. Here is a mod list, though I might be missing some stuff...

-GHL CAI.
-GIAC X+ chip.
-Forge DV.
-ECS Tuning 14lb. flywheel.
-VR6 clutch.
-Samco hoses.
-NJ75 valve.
-Smoked dummies.
-Euro tailights.
-Black grill.
-Weitec 60/40 springs, stock shocks.
-Autometer boost and a/f gauges.
-I think I got everything...

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/5809/jettabv8.th.jpg

http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/7516/boostgaugexs3.th.jpg

The car was fun to drive, but not being able to hook got old quick. I ran it a few times, the best pass was on 205's with the warning lines showing. It went 15.01 @ 96 with a 2.38ish 60', and a slipping clutch with the water pump blowing up at the 1,000ft. mark. I know, excuses right, that thing was a death trap. I didn't run the car with all of the modifications done, I forget what was done at the time, it didn't see the track much. I ended up hiding it behind a Babtist church in Maryland near Cecil until I could get a tow truck to bring me back. It kept up with my buddies Maxima that went 14.40's on the street, so it was a mid 14 car at best. I ended up selling the car for something more fun to drive through College.

Lucky Number 3...

I began searching for either an '02 6 speed SS, or an S2000. I drive my Dad's LS1 Z-28 here and there, and I decided that it wasn't the car for me. I drive to Manhattan NY and back almost every weekend twice. Once up and back to pick my girlfriend up from school for the weekend, and another round trip to take her home. So I drive almost 600 miles every other weekend, and sometimes every weekend. So I couldn't see myself wanting to put that many miles on an F-body. Since I would spend a lot of time in the drivers seat, and the F-body's interior looks way too cheap and crappy for me to live with. Sure it would of been a great straight line car, but I wanted something that was a blast to drive, and got good gas mileage, and would be dead reliable.

I found a few S2000's that I liked, but one that I loved. Scott Honda in WC had an '01 Silverstone with 22K on the clock for a nice price. While I was at work I sent my Dad to test drive it for me, and after work I bought it. Since then nothing has been done to it really. I managed to break the horns, tint the windows, buy a shiftknob, and new rear tires in 9 Months. Oh, and I also put 14,000 miles on it as well. It's never had any problems, not even in the snow since I picked up new rear tires.

I don't plan on doing anything performance wise to it until I am out of school, so I have four more years of stockness to go. I'm looking at a nice coilover set up for it pending how my funds are at the end of the Summer. Once I'm out of school I plan to have some real fun with it. On a stock motor with a 3mm headgasket, and a basic 35R set up, these cars will make a little over 400whp, so I might go that route. Or just build the thing since it will have a pile of miles on it by then, and with a real job, the funds should be there. But that is all in the future, so things may change. I am planning on keeping this car for a long time since it is an amazing machine.

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/5771/s2000yt7.th.jpg

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/6605/motor2al8.th.jpg

I went to Cecil twice with it, the best I could muster was a 14.10 @ 99 with a 2.13 60'. It definatly has more in it, that was on the old beat 225's. I now have a nice set of 245's on it, and they hook. So we'll see, maybe I will go back sometime this season.

Thanks for reading everyone, sorry for the book. Any comments or questions are appreciated. I will be sure to update this with anything I do to the car, if anything.

-Matt.

Sorry for the pictures being so small, I ran them through ImageShack.us, and they came out all small with the black stripes underneath. They are all bigger, clear photos. For some reason when I went through ImageShack.us they got all small. Anyone know what the deal is? I'm a n00b at the interweb. Thanks.

MPowerKai
04-15-2007, 03:24 AM
nice nice, all I'm gonna say is be careful on the twisties because the AP1'a have a tendancy to oversteer.

TurboDSMJ
04-15-2007, 04:44 PM
Haha snap oversteer is definatly an issue on the AP1's, but I know my limits haha.

mtwn
04-15-2007, 07:14 PM
ls1's get great gas mileage. i was getting close to 400 a tank with 3.73 gears

nice cars tho.

TurboDSMJ
04-15-2007, 11:20 PM
Supposedly they get 29+mpg highway. But, my next point that I couldn't deal with. The interior haha.