PDA

View Full Version : Brembo Owners: I'm in the club now, and finally understand how bad the brake dust is

TROLL
04-10-2007, 06:56 PM
Half question, half rant...
I did the STi drivetrain conversion on my car and finished it on Sunday. I've got 2 days of around town driving under my belt, with one session of pad bedding, which of course was not the normal type of braking session.
The wheels started showroom clean, and after just 2 days, they are already horribly filthy. I've heard Brembo owners complain before, but I had no idea it was this bad. I'm shocked... looks like to keep them looking good they'd need to be wiped down at least every other day. That blows...
Don't hear about many guys getting Brembo replacement pads... they are probably expensive and I bet most go looking for a higher performance or lower dust alternative. I'm gonna rock out on these for now, but when its time I'll be looking in to some Hawk HPS or otherwise.
Do your experiences sound about the same as this? I'm just really surprised that OEM equipment is so high maintenence.

Evo8kid
04-10-2007, 07:06 PM
take your wheels off and wax them, this ways its easier to get brakedust off, alot easier.

o and i have hawk HPS now and they squeak a little too much for my blood

DaveSTi
04-10-2007, 07:11 PM
welcome to oem sti pads. :)

ferodo ds2500, pagid blacks or blues would be the best street replacement.

S4toSTI
04-10-2007, 07:32 PM
Thank god maybe people will make less fun of my wheels being dirty all the time.

NOPSTNS
04-10-2007, 07:39 PM
my Gt kit isnt OEM but i kno where ur comin from, these arent full race pads but they r damn near close, some dusty little whores but thats the nature of the beast bro. i wash mine about every 3 days but they need it every single day i kid u not. but its worth the compromise, my stockies went to hell after multiple hard stops at high speeds. these do not, they only get better. thats the trade off i guess.
i got endless on the rears and they r either an agressive street pad or a pussy race pad, pick one, and they dust less but they ARE the rear tho, so whatev

but when these pads wear out i will be gettin a full race pad from endless and a street pad from them as well during the other 9 months out of the year im not competing in anything.

when urs run out id go elsewhere too, but expect somewhat similar results with any pad thats agressive.

TROLL
04-10-2007, 07:48 PM
I used Ferodo DS2500 pads on my previous brake setup and they aren't cheap but they are really nice street pads. I thought they dusted a lot and bitched about it, but now I realize that they werent all that bad, haha.
I have also used the DS3000 pads before and after a couple stops to get them up to temp they were awesome... very grabby. Other experiences include Carbotech Bobcats, but I had some fitment issues with them so I had to return them.

CHAOS
04-10-2007, 09:53 PM
my wheels are IMPOSSIBLE to keep clean... the brake dust is horrenduos unlessi clean it daily...

RayArroyo
04-11-2007, 08:11 AM
ye[, my wheels are allways black, i can clean them drive to a meet and by the time i getthere they are black again

HuffRex
04-11-2007, 12:00 PM
even tho i have the four pot fronts and the brembo rears..u can tell with the brake dust that the stock brake pads for the brembo's suck...my fronts are always clean...hawk hps for the win!

CHAOS
04-11-2007, 12:13 PM
even tho i have the four pot fronts and the brembo rears..u can tell with the brake dust that the stock brake pads for the brembo's suck...my fronts are always clean...hawk hps for the win!

huff's car is still on the lift at xotic... thus negating anything he has to say hahaha.:mrgreen:

grimm
04-11-2007, 04:22 PM
hawks are pretty dusty as well.

NOPSTNS
04-11-2007, 05:55 PM
ANY hi perf pads will dust. its like gettin coilovers and then complaining they r too stiff....helloooooo

im just glad mine dont squeal like a buddy of mines rx7 with wilwoods. his r so loud for the first couple stops its borderline unbearable. and thats comin from a rotary with a catless race exhaust

TROLL
04-11-2007, 06:50 PM
i know all about the tradeoff between comfort and performance, and i'm shocked at the brembo pads that come on STis from the factory. these are far beyond 'comfortable' in any sense of the word, and i'm surprised i dont hear STi owners bitching more about it.
i've owned at least a couple different brands of aftermarket street-performance pads, and none of them dusted even half as much as these do. i'm just shocked that this is a standard part of a consumer automobile.
i THOUGHT the Hawks dusted kinda bad, and i THOUGHT that the Ferodos dusted bad, but if thats dusting then i'm now experiencing a blizzard with these Brembo pads.

...and LOLz at the Huff comment.

WKderF
04-11-2007, 07:18 PM
i tried to consider brake dust when getting new wheels. the more complex the pattern, the harder to clean. but the easy to clean wheels look so inferior to the 2 piece hotness and other awesome designs. I feel for you bryan. +1 though for the idea of waxing your wheels. i believe there is a specific wheel wax out there to help with the high temps & brake dust & such.

Buster
04-12-2007, 01:55 AM
tell me about it, i guess youre going to have to give in now troll and get rim savers. Matts HPS dusted real bad on his sti also.

9 Ball
04-12-2007, 09:19 AM
I use Hawk pads too. It squeaks a little in the beginning but they usually quiet down. Very little brake dust which is a good thing especially with aftermarket wheels.

RayArroyo
04-12-2007, 09:22 AM
i wish i could use the stock evo brembo pads on my sti, my evo barely gets dust

doug
04-12-2007, 10:00 AM
Mine is quite brutal too, and it never wants to come out of the crevices of the rims unless I put a rag around a screwdriver and dig it out. I have to wash mine like every two days to keep them clean.

HuffRex
04-12-2007, 10:58 AM
huff's car is still on the lift at xotic... thus negating anything he has to say hahaha.:mrgreen:

yea...it really shouldn't be....

mtwn
04-12-2007, 11:08 AM
i wish i could use the stock evo brembo pads on my sti, my evo barely gets dust

my evo gets alot of dust,i need to clean my wheels after driving once. the dust is rediculous
but it doesnt bother me. i enjoy the brembos :mrgreen:

auk113
04-12-2007, 11:51 AM
project Mu pads for the win, no matter how hard i beat on them my wheels stayed the same (dirty :) )

but they grab like noones business

Buster
04-12-2007, 02:45 PM
um yeah they do lol.

Turbo s60R
04-16-2007, 11:44 PM
i would sacrifice dirty wheel for amazing braking power any day of the week, thts why im going for black rims

wax your rims, make a huge diff when cleaning your wheels cause all you have to do is rag them down for the weekends