PDA

View Full Version : Brakes...what to do

CleanNeon98
04-04-2007, 11:01 PM
Alright its a 2001 civic LX 5-speed on 17s. I wont go for a big brake kit because I use 14s in the snow, so please dont say that. I have some options since my pads are worn down, and the rotors need to be turned. I can

A. Have rotors turned and get Hawk HPS pads
B. Have rotors turned and get OEM pads
C. Get brembo blanks and Hawk HPS pads
D. Get brembo blanks and Hawk HPS pads

What is a better choice as far as all around stopping power?

Also, what do you recomend for rear shoes? (yea i got drums and im not getting a disk conversion unless I can get one cheap)

redline
04-04-2007, 11:05 PM
Hawk with a rotor turn is all you need! Very cheap just price out a pair of Green Stuff first and cut down on brake dust:thumbup:

CleanNeon98
04-04-2007, 11:08 PM
Turning rotors will cost me 40 for the pair i believe my mechanic said before...brembo blanks are 40 a piece

redline
04-04-2007, 11:13 PM
Turning rotors will cost me 40 for the pair i believe my mechanic said before...brembo blanks are 40 a piece

To be honest you don't need them. Get an upgraded pad and go from there.

whitezenki
04-04-2007, 11:15 PM
rotors dont really matter, unless you track your car, which you dont, so either turn them, or get the cheapest you can find... pads are whats important, get the best ones you can afford and youll be happy

CleanNeon98
04-04-2007, 11:40 PM
cool...yea the less cash i spend on this car, the more i will have to not finance my srt in a few years

TROLL
04-04-2007, 11:42 PM
if you can find a pep boys that turns rotors on the car still they do it for about $10 each.

CleanNeon98
04-04-2007, 11:51 PM
if you can find a pep boys that turns rotors on the car still they do it for about $10 each.

I dont trust the people that work there, and knowing them, im gona spend all day there just waiting for them to take my wheels off and tell me some BS...but I think I can figure it out without your help thanks.

TROLL
04-05-2007, 12:31 AM
hahahah

Vypurr
04-05-2007, 12:36 AM
Yeah, I agree, cut the rotors and replace the pads.

At my work we charge $36 for the pair.

teh DIRT
04-05-2007, 12:50 AM
I dont trust the people that work there, and knowing them, im gona spend all day there just waiting for them to take my wheels off and tell me some BS...but I think I can figure it out without your help thanks.

if you arent going to take someones help, why post a help thread in the first place. Cutting rotors is the same as cutting flywheels. It gets put on a lathe and turned...a monkey could do it. So why pay more than the least amount, which is ten dollars.
:roll:

Buster
04-05-2007, 12:56 AM
get stock pads if you want to save money, your car doesnt need anything above it. HPS will run you 100 when stocks are probably less than 50. Also dont bother with your rotors either. Blanks will cost you more than the pads and will last longer than your car will. Save your money if you want an SRT so bad, youre going to need it.

04 Turbo Spec
04-05-2007, 01:32 AM
get stock pads if you want to save money, your car doesnt need anything above it. HPS will run you 100 when stocks are probably less than 50. Also dont bother with your rotors either. Blanks will cost you more than the pads and will last longer than your car will. Save your money if you want an SRT so bad, youre going to need it.

:iagree:

MuddyREX
04-05-2007, 09:36 AM
I'd leave the brakes stock....

OutOfStock
04-05-2007, 10:35 AM

You need all the help you can get.

Ps: thats cute posting the EXACT same thread as me 10 minutes after I did.

grimm
04-05-2007, 11:06 AM
if your rotors aren't warped i wouldn't even get them re-cut.I'd just leave them as they are. But if they are I would get blanks,instead of re-surfacing them, I saw a place on h-t that has brembo blanks for $36 w/ free shipping? so to me it's a no brainer, new rotors for the price of re-surfacing old ones?
But thats alos assuming you will be installing them yourself. which you should!!!

HPS pads are good and I'm sure you can find a good group buy and get them for less then $100. It is a honda so those parts should be able to be found for cheap.

also keep in mind that you will need brake fluid and a flush too ;)

Broken5hift
04-05-2007, 11:08 AM
Hawk with a rotor turn is all you need! Very cheap just price out a pair of Green Stuff first and cut down on brake dust:thumbup:

this is the answer. /thread

smoger
04-05-2007, 11:16 AM
save even more, just go to pep boys or auto zone and buy the cheap generic rotors. for my neon they were like $15 each.

grimm
04-05-2007, 11:17 AM
can anyone explain why to pay $36 to have your rotors turned when you can pay exact same for brand new ones? i don't get that logic?

Vince@R/TTuning
04-05-2007, 11:17 AM
if you arent going to take someones help, why post a help thread in the first place. Cutting rotors is the same as cutting flywheels. It gets put on a lathe and turned...a monkey could do it. So why pay more than the least amount, which is ten dollars.

Flywheels get grinded with a stone and rotors get cut on a lathe with carbide bits...it is pretty easy but if the guy doesnt know what he is doin he can screw up a rotor...chatter..scoring..or rough finsh can eat up pads..just some info

CleanNeon98
04-05-2007, 11:21 AM
I am taking advice, just not from Troll...

CleanNeon98
04-05-2007, 11:29 AM
My rotors now have quite a bit of vibration when I brake....also, I can feel the brakes almost pump when I press the pedal...it grabs and lets go a little grabs and gets go a little, and over and over...if i press the pedal down more, it goes away....warped rotors?

grimm
04-05-2007, 11:30 AM
if it shudders when you brake then most likely they are warped.

CleanNeon98
04-05-2007, 11:33 AM
if it shudders when you brake then most likely they are warped.

meaning i should resufrace or get new ones...I just want the stuff done right so the car will be easier to sell in a year or so...its also why i still have my stock parts..

grimm
04-05-2007, 11:41 AM
a rotor gets warped by the inconsistant heating and cooling of the rotor, in my 'personal' experience when i got my rotors re-surfaced (cut) i could still notice the warp. So I suggest getting new ones, plus if you plan on selling the car you can always use the brembos as a selling point?

Vypurr
04-05-2007, 11:44 AM
Either way will fix it for you. Every possible answer is already in this thread man!

Just decide which you feel like doing...

- Cheap pepboys pads and cut rotors
- Cheap pepboys pads and cheap pepboys rotors
- Expensive pads and cut rotors
- Expensive pads and blank rotors

^ Every one of these solutions will do the exact same thing!

Off Topic - Isn't it kinda funny/ironic that he won't take advice from TROLL on brakes? lol. Sorry I had to!

CleanNeon98
04-05-2007, 11:52 AM
Either way will fix it for you. Every possible answer is already in this thread man!

Just decide which you feel like doing...

- Cheap pepboys pads and cut rotors
- Cheap pepboys pads and cheap pepboys rotors
- Expensive pads and cut rotors
- Expensive pads and blank rotors

^ Every one of these solutions will do the exact same thing!

Off Topic - Isn't it kinda funny/ironic that he won't take advice from TROLL on brakes? lol. Sorry I had to!
Thats actually not what I meant..funny tho

TROLL
04-05-2007, 12:16 PM
yeah, he got himself warned yesterday and he's butthurt i guess. note the way i worded that though, i didn't warn him, he got himself warned.
but i don't want to get off topic, lets keep beating a dead horse on these brakes even though every single possibility has been discussed already and many knowledgeable people have replied with good information.
not me though, i cant be of any help when it comes to brakes.

htheduck
04-05-2007, 12:43 PM
If you want to stop better, get better tires.
The brake hardware is all the same on the street.

CleanNeon98
04-05-2007, 01:04 PM
yeah, he got himself warned yesterday and he's butthurt i guess. note the way i worded that though, i didn't warn him, he got himself warned.
but i don't want to get off topic, lets keep beating a dead horse on these brakes even though every single possibility has been discussed already and many knowledgeable people have replied with good information.
not me though, i cant be of any help when it comes to brakes.
Im the one that flagged the post in the first place, and you give ME points...:roll: Im not going to discuss this here
If you want to stop better, get better tires.
The brake hardware is all the same on the street.
No I mean that my brakes are worn down, and rotors are warped (my dumb ass washes my wheels when the brakes are still hot), so im deciding between different choices as far as replacing the brakes go

sisforsurfing
04-05-2007, 01:18 PM
Get a pair of cheaper pads and save up for better summer tires. Tires are the part that actually stop the car. If you're rolling around on Wanli's or nankangs or something you could do better.

And now, officially, you've exhausted every possible bit of info you could get from this thread. Your call now.

CleanNeon98
04-05-2007, 01:22 PM
Get a pair of cheaper pads and save up for better summer tires. Tires are the part that actually stop the car. If you're rolling around on Wanli's or nankangs or something you could do better.

And now, officially, you've exhausted every possible bit of info you could get from this thread. Your call now.

Yea its all part of the next few months

Brakes
Tires
Alignment
Endlinks
Possible oil leak

Thanks for the information guys...il have my mechanic look it over, but il probbably just stick with having everythign OEM

grimm
04-05-2007, 01:44 PM
mechanic look it over? and then rape you on labor. seriously even a chiltons manual can guide you thru a brake job.

CleanNeon98
04-05-2007, 01:50 PM
mechanic look it over? and then rape you on labor. seriously even a chiltons manual can guide you thru a brake job.

I mean to check the rotors to see if they can be turned or need to be replaced. Our mechanic is a great guy. When my spark plug seals were leaking on my neon, and I wanted him to do the fix, he told me it would be easier for me to do it myself, and he was right. Took me an hour, and saved money. His only flaw is he doesnt like to work on modded cars. He told me that if I go and install a header or something on my car, not to bring it to his shop.

grimm
04-05-2007, 01:59 PM
well good luck.

Vypurr
04-05-2007, 02:22 PM
Have they ever been cut before? The only reason to not cut them is if you have already cut them a couple times and they are below spec already.

RayArroyo
04-05-2007, 02:31 PM

take it to your friends dad , the guy that was going to do the clutch for 100.00
then. or just take them off the car for weight reduction and cut a hole on your floor to brake with your feet.

CleanNeon98
04-05-2007, 03:19 PM
Have they ever been cut before? The only reason to not cut them is if you have already cut them a couple times and they are below spec already.

that i dont know...bought the car used with 101k and no service records

Broken5hift
04-05-2007, 03:22 PM
i couldn't fix your brakes so i made your horn louder

Broken5hift
04-05-2007, 03:36 PM
do you get the joke clean

CleanNeon98
04-05-2007, 03:44 PM
if you are referring to this???

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pKiWDUhhh5M

Broken5hift
04-05-2007, 03:48 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA i love that vid

evomike
04-05-2007, 04:10 PM
i bet whatever honda put on the factory will suit you car just fine, i dont understand why you feel your stock civic needs a brake upgrade buy the cheapest **** you can get and be done with it, its a stock civic we are talking about here come on now.