PDA

View Full Version : how reliable are explorers?

drew
04-04-2007, 08:32 AM
i have an offer of a 2000 eddie bauer explorer with 108k miles plus 4k for my tiburon. 108 is pretty high though, how long do you think the car will last?

S4toSTI
04-04-2007, 08:39 AM
It all depends on how it was maintained any service records?

Broken5hift
04-04-2007, 08:41 AM
i wouldnt do it.... unless you need room for dead hookers.

drew
04-04-2007, 08:41 AM
i'll ask the seller, if it's all up to date on maintnence and runs smooth ( HE says it runs and shifts like new ) could i expect a bit of life out of it? i will requently be commuting to longport nj this summer so i need a reliable car

Intercooled T
04-04-2007, 08:45 AM
If its a 5.0, they're pretty reliable and they can last quite a while as well. Think of it this way, parts are very cheap for either engines the explorers can be equipped with

drew
04-04-2007, 08:57 AM
Heated Seats
auto trans/v8
Every option imaginable, even backup sensors
Engine runs like new, tranny shifts nice and smooth
Mach460 with 6disc changer
white exterior, tan/black leather interior
4x4 auto/hi/low
front and back climate control
in dash status computer
premium oem rims...good tires
running boards, privacy glass, etc.
109k miles

this is the only problem though
Has some real minor body damage to the front clip, have a new front grill for it, still needs a new front bumper and a hood hinge (tweaked a little off center), and has a little ding on the tail end of the passenger side...nothing major...clear title and I drive it everyday to work and back, so not an issue, just a little bit of a black eye on a nice vehicle. I'm working on getting those parts, but thought I'd throw it out there and see if anyone is interested.

Vypurr
04-04-2007, 09:14 AM
I love my mom's explorer. Its the full-time 4WD and the 5.0! We havn't had any problems with it ever. A simple tranny flush brought it back to new!

BradC
04-04-2007, 09:54 AM
Not called "Exploders" for nothing ;)

gpzjack
04-04-2007, 03:37 PM
V8 and your gonna commute to nj...better have stock in big oil. I refer to them as exploders as well. For a commuter find a honda

redwrxwagon02
04-04-2007, 05:18 PM
they call them exploders for a reason
if it is the 5.0 theyr decent motors but exploders deteriorate quickly
keep the tib

Willdue
04-04-2007, 05:30 PM
Not called "Exploders" for nothing ;)

Hey, atleast they circled the problem?

dolphinS4
04-04-2007, 05:41 PM
Drive shafts, Rear diffs, transmissons and ball joints are all very common problems.
The motor is probably the least of your worry's.

drew
04-04-2007, 07:09 PM
V8 and your gonna commute to nj...better have stock in big oil. I refer to them as exploders as well. For a commuter find a honda

i park on the street so a honda/acura is pretty much not happening ( to much theft, a civic ex and civic si have both been broken into ACROSS the street from me lol )

not really worried about gas prices, i'm looking at a lot of options right now. i really want an escalade ext or a porsche boxster-s. but i thought about a cushy explorer instead since i could easily just buy outright and not have a car payment

Vypurr
04-04-2007, 07:43 PM
To all of the people bashing the Explorer...How many of you actually own one or have owned one? Or are you all calling them exploders because a friend of a friend had a problem?

justice
04-04-2007, 08:16 PM
I've had three explorers a 1998, 2002, and 2003. The only one I had a problem with was the 2002. It died going through the tunnel into baltimore on thanksgiving day. The whole iginition system and computer had to be replaced. The bad thing was that it only had like 2000 miles on it when it happened. Other then that, just the basic ford quality issues of stuff rattling before it should.

drew
04-04-2007, 09:18 PM
To all of the people bashing the Explorer...How many of you actually own one or have owned one? Or are you all calling them exploders because a friend of a friend had a problem?

yeah i've never really heard bad things. my girlfriend has on 03 that's a company car for her dads company, the people before it treated it like **** and i think the only maintence it's had was an oil change and new brakes. and it's at 40something thousand

dolphinS4
04-04-2007, 09:53 PM
I personally feel they are great trucks for what they were intended.
Do they have some common issues? Sure, but all cars/trucks do.

I've owned one and my father is currently on #2.
And all 3 have had the issues I listed above.
The front ball joint issue is what boggles me.
From my mother's Taurus to my wife's Explorer, Ford's seem to eat them regardless of mileage.

BradC
04-05-2007, 08:27 AM

Never owned one. Watched a friend go through issues with one though.

Intercooled T
04-05-2007, 09:27 AM
i like 'em as well, but just remember all SUVs need brakes regularly, and ball joints are a common issue with SUVs as well. Treat it well and service it regularly and I think it will last a long time

Ryza24
04-05-2007, 09:42 PM
ive had one for lik 6 years.. only blew a head gasket.. and i flipped it on its side.. and it still runs like its should for having 100K miles on it so i would say its pretty reliable.. if ur lookin for a tank.. that eats gas and other cars.. mines a V6 thou

Turbo s60R
04-05-2007, 10:18 PM
drew i work at springfield ford, ill take you for a tour one day and let the mechanics talk you out of it....... exploders and ford in general are the reason i drive the car i drive

the only way an explorer is a good car is if you drive the car less than 6k a year and have a friend at a ford certified service center

now i understand where your comming from with the tibby... just buy a honda civic ef hatch and dont do **** to but and alarm no one would ever try robbing that car and keep the tib