PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Question ( EVO )

EIXVO
04-02-2007, 09:58 PM
I put on a 3in' Turbo back pipe which inluded the Cat-delete. I already had the 3in Cat-back. SO know I have a complete 3in turboback Exhaust. However I think I gained alot of power low end, and possibly lost some up top in 4th and 5th. It could just be me thought. Any Ideas.

Turbo_CitrusEs
04-02-2007, 10:07 PM
What mods do you have so far? Did you just slap on the exhaust and not get a tune. Weird thing about the evo is you can actually loose horsepower by putting some mods on without a tune. Very curious to know what mods you have.

EIXVO
04-02-2007, 10:10 PM
K&N Drop in, and 3in turbo-back w/ 3in Cat-delete. Tune or Flash. I didnt think I would need a tune for just exhaust an intake. Flash deff.

EIXVO
04-02-2007, 10:12 PM
http://www.hopupracing.com/grevexmilaev.html
http://www.hopupracing.com/dcsptudopimi.html

these are the pieces

EIXVO
04-02-2007, 10:22 PM
????????

EIXVO
04-02-2007, 10:22 PM
Its like it spools a little slower up top.

Turbo_CitrusEs
04-02-2007, 10:23 PM
stg 1 = Tbe, mbc, bov, fuel pump, tune
stg 2 = cams, o2 housing, licp
stg 3 = ported/coated manifold, ported/coated 10.5 hotside, alky injection

Maybe that will help a little bit. As well the exhaust you have is very restrictive. Not much better then stock, this has been proven time and time again. If you would like I would check out www.evolutionm.net, this may help you out a lot in your future modding venture. Also the stock bov is only efficient up to about 13psi. I would look into getting a stock IX dv
or jdm mr dv.

Evo8kid
04-02-2007, 10:23 PM
mail in flash is worth it IMO. You can get flashs for any mods. But with bigg mods, cams etc. you want to get a tune to be custom to your car. The funny thing about evos are that they are not all alike.

But back to your question it is possible that you could have lost a little up top, but personally not anything that i think one could feel. You should MOST DEFFINITLY put on a MBC, it wake up the car like none other. i have one im selling cuase i switched to EBC

EIXVO
04-02-2007, 10:24 PM
The exhaust stock is very restricitive ( deff. ), or the one I put on?

Turbo_CitrusEs
04-02-2007, 10:27 PM
The exhaust stock is very restricitive ( deff. ), or the one I put on?

The one you put on isnt much more effective then the stock exhaust. It is still pretty restrictive!! If you search around that site I linked above you will see. This exhaust has been dynoed against several other exhausts and came out to be the worst, hp and efficiency wise, out of all the ones tested!!!

EIXVO
04-02-2007, 10:32 PM
Should I just go back to cat-back? and sell the turbo-back/ cat-delete while it is still simi new?

Turbo_CitrusEs
04-02-2007, 10:44 PM
Should I just go back to cat-back? and sell the turbo-back/ cat-delete while it is still simi new?

If I was in your situation I would hang onto the downpipe and the cat delete. A test pipe will give 10+ whp through the entire powerband and improve spool. I would sell the exhaust you have now and look into getting another exhaust. If it were my car I would personally go with an exhaust from Buschur Racing, a little more expensive but proven results!!!

xEJ20x
04-02-2007, 11:41 PM
I really don't see whats wrong with the Greddy system you got. I still question DC Sports quality.....but thats me.
Basically as long as the piping is at least 304 stainless and has an inner diameter of at least 3".

And a good reflash/tune with bring out the most of the basic bolt-ons.

EIXVO
04-03-2007, 12:56 AM
I Kinda feel the same way. 3in exhaust is 3in exhaust

Evo8kid
04-03-2007, 08:28 AM
^ yea but due to the resonators/ muffler (but more so the resonator) it is more restrictive. than other brands with even less resonators

JSeoul
04-03-2007, 08:48 AM
I'm sure the Exhaust is fine. Blame DC and let them stick to clothing. hahaha. Hope you find the problem though. Lots of wise & knowledgeable peeps here

markley02
04-03-2007, 08:54 AM
stg 1 = Tbe, mbc, bov, fuel pump, tune
stg 2 = cams, o2 housing, licp
stg 3 = ported/coated manifold, ported/coated 10.5 hotside, alky injection

Maybe that will help a little bit. As well the exhaust you have is very restrictive. Not much better then stock, this has been proven time and time again. If you would like I would check out www.evolutionm.net, this may help you out a lot in your future modding venture. Also the stock bov is only efficient up to about 13psi. I would look into getting a stock IX dv
or jdm mr dv.

Dude, he has an IX! He has the 10.5 hotside. He has the better DV.

I have a feeling that the exhaust pictured is not your exact exhaust. Did you see the bump-outs in your pipe (resonators)? If you didn't leave the exhaust on! Do not trust the butt dyno. Go on evoM and learn how to tune with the tactrix cable or find me at a meet and we will talk about it. You have to at least log the car to see what is going on. Maybe the exhaust is hitting something and causing a phantom knock.

TrboChicsRock
04-03-2007, 12:34 PM
You will pick up HP with an exhaust on a 9. The problem is though, after driving it around for a few weeks, you ECU will detect the extra airflow and compensate for it and you'll right back where you started as far as HP. The only way around this is to flash your ECU.

9 Ball
04-03-2007, 01:30 PM
Markley02 and TurboChicsRock hit valid points.

It’s not the Exhaust.

I don’t know of many people using the DC down pipe so I can’t speak to that… but you really shouldn’t lose any power. And the ECU will adapt after a week or two to compensate.

If you’ve spent several hundred dollars on pipes why not spend a few bucks and get the car tuned from reputable shop?

olsookie
04-03-2007, 01:37 PM
on the IX is not going to see huge benefits from an exhaust or a drop in.

Your exhaust will definitely net you bigger numbers up top with the loss of some bottom end. A Tune is where you should start in my opinion.

if you want to do a lot in one shot, i'd say, fuel pump, drop in filter, 3" TBE, preferably Buschur Racing, cam it and tune it! lol

as far as a 3" exhaust is a 3" exhaust, that is not true, that Greddy Cat back is meant to hook up to your stock CAT, that means it has to down size to do that...

Evo8kid
04-03-2007, 01:40 PM
Dude, he has an IX! He has the 10.5 hotside. He has the better DV.

I have a feeling that the exhaust pictured is not your exact exhaust. Did you see the bump-outs in your pipe (resonators)? If you didn't leave the exhaust on! Do not trust the butt dyno. Go on evoM and learn how to tune with the tactrix cable or find me at a meet and we will talk about it. You have to at least log the car to see what is going on. Maybe the exhaust is hitting something and causing a phantom knock.

i think cnfx_turboes was trying to say that the exhaust side should be ported even though its already a 10.5? and your your right, the stock IX BOV is good. Its the VIII that should be swapped for IX's

silver05bullet
04-03-2007, 02:54 PM
get a boost controller and a tune youll be happy enough said

Turbo_CitrusEs
04-03-2007, 04:44 PM
on the IX is not going to see huge benefits from an exhaust or a drop in.

Your exhaust will definitely net you bigger numbers up top with the loss of some bottom end. A Tune is where you should start in my opinion.

if you want to do a lot in one shot, i'd say, fuel pump, drop in filter, 3" TBE, preferably Buschur Racing, cam it and tune it! lol

as far as a 3" exhaust is a 3" exhaust, that is not true, that Greddy Cat back is meant to hook up to your stock CAT, that means it has to down size to do that...

i think cnfx_turboes was trying to say that the exhaust side should be ported even though its already a 10.5? and your your right, the stock IX BOV is good. Its the VIII that should be swapped for IX's

I'd agree in saying the the greddy evo 2 exhaust still is restrictive. It does mate up to the stock exhaust and isnt doing much for you in terms of hp. Also I must have misunderstood the original post, I was thinking he had an VIII and not a IX, the IX does have a better dv to start and a larger 10.5 hotside. Sorry for any confusion I may have caused!!!

EIXVO
04-03-2007, 04:57 PM
thnks everyone, Ill have to get a MBC and flash

olsookie
04-03-2007, 05:02 PM
no problem man, you can always talk to tiffany's dad about it, she has a IX and so does another guy they hang out with all the time. he's in the middle of tuning them. both have exhausts on them and a k & n drop in i believe.

pm me if you want to talk to him... he has base tunes for the car already.

peteyturbo
04-17-2007, 11:43 AM
Some of theese posts boggle my mind:confused:
You will not lose power at ANY rpm by adding a free flowing exhaust to this car and you WILL see a big gain in power without flashing it, although much more can be had with a flash, your power will not diminish because the ecu compensates by adding fuel and be at the same power level, it's just not true.... Adding a mbc to an EVO9 has proven to be very risky and not worthwhile due to the fluctuation problems associated with mbc's in the IX..EBC is the way to go on this car..
Just keep it the way it is and get flashed (tuned).You can up the boost with the stock solonoid..

markley02
04-17-2007, 12:01 PM
Although this discussion is going way beyond the exhaust I want to add my .02 cents. In my opinion the issues people are having with the MBC on the IX's is that they are putting it on the BOV line. In my experience of both upping boost via ECU and/or MBC the MBC + ECU gives me less taper than the ECU alone. Maybe it depends on the individual car, but I have had better results utilizing the MBC.

I would deffinitly have a means of logging the car before putting a MBC on though to check for knock.