PDA

View Full Version : question about timing/bending valves on an acura

240sxDann
04-02-2007, 09:52 PM
my cousin is lookin at a 92 (I believe) teg that threw the timing belt. My uncle had heard from somebody that they have non-interference motors. (meaning, its not possible for the piston to touch the valves if it jumps the timing belt) Is this true? He just wants to know if its worth buying and fixing, or if it could have bent the valves and effed things up. Thanks for the help in advance.

james_ls
04-03-2007, 01:42 AM
Ive seen some pretty mangled heads come from a bad timing belt.

Check it.

underpressure02
04-03-2007, 10:56 AM
my cousin is lookin at a 92 (I believe) teg that threw the timing belt. My uncle had heard from somebody that they have non-interference motors. (meaning, its not possible for the piston to touch the valves if it jumps the timing belt) Is this true? He just wants to know if its worth buying and fixing, or if it could have bent the valves and effed things up. Thanks for the help in advance.

They are interference motors. My timing belt snapped driving home and I bent every valve except for two.

sponsored1
04-03-2007, 11:41 AM
They are for the most part interference motors. If its a car with vtec, some are non-interference motor on the low lobes of the cam and an interference motor on the larger lobes(in vtec). If its a vtec car and it threw the belt while he was just cruising and not in vtec you might get lucky and not have any bent valves.

underpressure02
04-03-2007, 12:26 PM
They are for the most part interference motors. If its a car with vtec, some are non-interference motor on the low lobes of the cam and an interference motor on the larger lobes(in vtec). If its a vtec car and it threw the belt while he was just cruising and not in vtec you might get lucky and not have any bent valves.

My motor was a gsr and I threw the belt crusing at about 90 and like I said bent all the valves except for two.

240sxDann
04-03-2007, 01:05 PM
its a non vtec. I think its the B18A1? Thats the LS motor right? So basically, if he does buy it he should be expecting bent valves?

Loserkidwac
04-03-2007, 01:39 PM
yea its kind of hit or miss...there is a chance you can slap a new belt on and it will be fine but there is a even better chance it bent a few valves...if he is looking at buying its not worth to much in that condition...maybe $1K if its perfect inside and out...but more than likely only worth $500...a replacement B18a1 can be had for around $350...or you could always just grab a vtec head ($450+ for the head plus more$$ for the conversion) and make an LSVtec

underpressure02
04-03-2007, 03:19 PM
its a non vtec. I think its the B18A1? Thats the LS motor right? So basically, if he does buy it he should be expecting bent valves?

I sold a complete ls head off a 99 with really low miles for like 125 bucks. So the heads are cheap but I would get a vtak head if it were me.

Danronian
04-05-2007, 12:00 PM
I sold a complete ls head off a 99 with really low miles for like 125 bucks. So the heads are cheap but I would get a vtak head if it were me.

You're lucky...I've seen most, even low mile and clean, b18 heads go for $50.

I would actually throw on the timing belt, if it runs like poop, pull the head. LS motors are so cheap...but take into consideration the down time for finding the head and getting it shaved to straightness. Other than that it should go on in a few hours.

na is best!
04-05-2007, 09:40 PM

ok a bent valve is not that bad..depending on the condition.... is the car running now? if so you can prolly hear the valve tapping if it is bent..what you need to find out is if the timing belt broke and if they tried and crank the motor not knowing the belt snapped...if so they prolly bent a valve and maybe worse.... if it broke and they knew it broke and left it alone you can be ok with just a new belt... how much is he getting the car for? i bought my 93 teg running for $600 running so take that into consideration...

yea its kind of hit or miss...there is a chance you can slap a new belt on and it will be fine but there is a even better chance it bent a few valves...if he is looking at buying its not worth to much in that condition...maybe $1K if its perfect inside and out...but more than likely only worth $500...a replacement B18a1 can be had for around $350...or you could always just grab a vtec head ($450+ for the head plus more$$ for the conversion) and make an LSVtec

yea 500 sounds good for a old school teg with a possible fukd up motor

125 for a ls head... that is way to much:screwy: :screwy: .. and it is vtec not vtak

You're lucky...I've seen most, even low mile and clean, b18 heads go for $50.

I would actually throw on the timing belt, if it runs like poop, pull the head. LS motors are so cheap...but take into consideration the down time for finding the head and getting it shaved to straightness. Other than that it should go on in a few hours.

:iagree: if it is a good price buy it... you can get a motor cheap... but also you will have to put in the time as well... it is up to you if it is worth it

anyway from my personal experience this is what happened.... on my first gsr motor i installed the timing belt and didnt tension it properly so when i cranked it the belt slipped... i only cranked it once and then fixed it... so i had a bent valve and it tapped when i drove it... well it drove and ran hard even with a bent valve ... well the car seen 9k rpms and boom the valve hit the piston and this is the results.....
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c169/revlimitda6/blown%20motor/pistonclose2.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c169/revlimitda6/blown%20motor/pistonclose3.jpg

i got pics of the head but cant find em

underpressure02
04-06-2007, 06:05 PM
125 for a ls head... that is way to much:screwy: :screwy: .. and it is vtec not vtak

Not my fault someone paid that much for an ls head.

And to think I went 10's on a bone stock ls/vtec thinking vtec was spelled vtak all this time. Thanks for the help genius. Next time you want to come off like a smart ass atleast know who you are talking to.

na is best!
04-07-2007, 01:58 AM
Not my fault someone paid that much for an ls head.

And to think I went 10's on a bone stock ls/vtec thinking vtec was spelled vtak all this time. Thanks for the help genius. Next time you want to come off like a smart ass atleast know who you are talking to.

10s on a stock lsv??? wow you must have been using alot of juice or boost....boost right?

and dont matter who you are and if you ran 10.8 in a bubble on 24.5 slicks.. dont really care... not impressed... but anyway GREAT JOB :thumbup: and good luck this season

240sxDann
04-09-2007, 02:02 PM
dude both of you quit your bitchin! I just wanted to know about the ls motor, damn. LOL