PDA

View Full Version : finally got my meth kit installed pics!!!

RayArroyo
03-27-2007, 11:38 AM
I highly reccomend this mod to anyone looking to make some good reliable hp out of your car. i was highly impressed when i first installed the kit with the stage 2 map my car had in already with out touching the tune and comparing the logs with and with out the meth. yesterday i spent a few hours thanks to gottalovethewagon for being my laptop assistant, logging and retuning the car, im not quite there with the tune but so far i feel an improvement. im running 19 psi and good timing and i have not detected any knock on my logs at all and of course car pulls strong, with a little more tweaking i will try to get more timing and more boost!!!!!!!! i also did some logs with windshield washer fluid just to see what the difference would be from using ethyl alchool needles to say im going to continue using ethyl alcohool and distilled water from now on.

just to give you an idea on the base stage 2 already on the car by adding the meth my afrs went from 11.5's to 10.7 so you can see how much retuning needs to be done.

cant wait to get this on the evo now
http://usera.imagecave.com/revitup/Picture570.jpg

http://usera.imagecave.com/revitup/Picture579.jpg

http://usera.imagecave.com/revitup/Picture582.jpg

http://usera.imagecave.com/revitup/Picture587.jpg

http://usera.imagecave.com/revitup/Picture588-copy.jpg

http://usera.imagecave.com/revitup/Picture031.jpg

http://usera.imagecave.com/revitup/Picture032.jpg

Philly-Night-SR
03-27-2007, 12:41 PM
awww man I hope someday my car becomes a meth addict too :)

TROLL
03-27-2007, 12:54 PM
hey ray, lookin good. i'm thinking i want to finally install mine too. are you using methanol or ethanol? not sure from your pics... and where did you get it from?

RayArroyo
03-27-2007, 01:27 PM
hey ray, lookin good. i'm thinking i want to finally install mine too. are you using methanol or ethanol? not sure from your pics... and where did you get it from?

ethanol (ethyl alcohool)

TROLL
03-27-2007, 01:35 PM
i'm not an expert on the subject, but i think you're going to want to run methanol, or water, or both mixed. its not called 'eth injection' for a reason, and the reason isnt that it sounds stupid, haha.

RayArroyo
03-27-2007, 01:43 PM
i'm not an expert on the subject, but i think you're going to want to run methanol, or water, or both mixed. its not called 'eth injection' for a reason, and the reason isnt that it sounds stupid, haha.

many people run it its alcohool

RayArroyo
03-27-2007, 01:48 PM
Ethyl alcohol,
grain alcohol,
hydroxyethane,
EtOH
Molecular formula C2H6O
SMILES CCO
Molar mass 46.06844(232) g/mol
Appearance colourless clear liquid
CAS number [64-17-5]
Properties
Density and phase 0.789 g/cm³, liquid
Solubility in water Fully miscible
Melting point 158.8 K (−114.3 °C)
Boiling point 351.6 K (78.4 °C)
Acidity (pKa) 15.9 (H+ from OH group)
Viscosity 1.200 mPa·s (cP) at 20.0 °C
Dipole moment 5.64 fC·fm (1.69 D) (gas)

R33P3R007
03-27-2007, 02:10 PM
Ethyl alcohol,
grain alcohol,
hydroxyethane,
EtOH
Molecular formula C2H6O
SMILES CCO
Molar mass 46.06844(232) g/mol
Appearance colourless clear liquid
CAS number [64-17-5]
Properties
Density and phase 0.789 g/cm³, liquid
Solubility in water Fully miscible
Melting point 158.8 K (−114.3 °C)
Boiling point 351.6 K (78.4 °C)
Acidity (pKa) 15.9 (H+ from OH group)
Viscosity 1.200 mPa·s (cP) at 20.0 °C
Dipole moment 5.64 fC·fm (1.69 D) (gas)

I thought you ran meth injection...pretty much winsheild washer fluid. not ethanol (the harmful fuel addative that causes fiberglass fuel tanks in boats to melt, seals to dry up and crack due to lack of lubrication)

RayArroyo
03-27-2007, 02:15 PM
I thought you ran meth injection...pretty much winsheild washer fluid. not ethanol (the harmful fuel addative that causes fiberglass fuel tanks in boats to melt, seals to dry up and crack due to lack of lubrication)

you can use ethanol thats why you have to mix it with distilled water, you can also run pure methanol with distilled water.

the windshield washer fluid stuff is not as good, 1 it has dye and other chemicals that can clog nozzles.

RayArroyo
03-27-2007, 02:24 PM
just to recap its perfectly safe to run dentured ethanol, especially since it has an octane content of about 129 octane as oppose to methanol which is much less.

Action Park
03-28-2007, 12:20 AM
Awesome, I just got my meth kit running today too(was in for a while, was just waiting on meth in the mail). A few questions for you.
1. What kit is that(coolingmist?)? I ca'nt tell from the pics, but it's obviously a shurflo pump.
2. Is it progressive? If so, where do you have it come on and what does it ramp to?
3. What size nozzle?
4. What is your mix of eth/distilled water?

You will find people who swear by all the different liquids. Obviously, they all work if setup right, some possibly better than others on different cars. One just has to take into account that there is more going on than the octane rating of the fuel. For example, the octane ratings of meth and eth are 109/89 and 109/90 ron/mon respectfully. However, the far superior latent heat of evaporization of these alcohols over petrol bring the approximated octane of these fuels to around 130. Atomization is key to make full benefit of the properties of alky. This, and the greater amount of injected fuel, is why drag cars running on meth with mechanical fuel injection(like Hilborn-awesome atomization) can run insane amounts of boost and not even need to run a cooling system for the engine.
Again, the question of which liquid to inject will always be subject to debate. I choose to use 100% meth(no water) injected pre-compressor for a few reasons. Devilsown prog kit. She was at 8psi before and I got it up to 11 today with a 6-14 ramp(pump was'nt at full output). Quite noticible increase in power, no miracles, just what one would expect from a 3psi gain. I did'nt want to bring it up more because my wideband was messing up. I have open exhaust, so the lack of backpressure might be confusing things, or the close proximity to the turbine might have fried the o2. Last year, afr was in the high 10's on 8 psi, so I should be safe with the ramped alky at 11, but I obviously would like to keep it safe. I'm hoping for 14psi on 93 eventually. Felt good though, I just need to remember how to drive it(tricky clutch+not driving the car for a few months+tricky draw through 4bbl turbo setup= making a fool of myself in traffic looking like I just learned to drive)!
Good luck with your setup, it's nifty that we experienced the wonders of injection on the same day!

RayArroyo
03-28-2007, 08:46 AM
yeah this is the cooling mist kit, my proggresive controller is actually in the mail. so right now is just running on the boost pressure sensor. i have it set to come on at 12 psi and im on the 7psi nozzle. my mixture is 50% distilled 50% eth. im sure that you will agree that this is probbably one of the best mods ever on a turbo car, the power delivery of just the kit itself is awsome. im so happy i did it.

Evo8kid
03-28-2007, 10:39 AM
does it have any failsafe or tank level metering. Ive been wanting to do this for a while and im looking for one of the kits that have low flow/no flow detection that limits boost level when no flow or low flow is present

RayArroyo
03-28-2007, 11:15 AM
does it have any failsafe or tank level metering. Ive been wanting to do this for a while and im looking for one of the kits that have low flow/no flow detection that limits boost level when no flow or low flow is present

i have a level metering from the factory, my failsafe detection is in the mail, i do have an led that flashes in the dash when the pump is operating.

SpendOne
03-29-2007, 12:02 AM
I have the same kit Ray. I run staright methanol in mines.

TROLL
03-29-2007, 12:10 AM
where are we getting our methanol?

i was going to try to find a place to get VP Meth... never looked into it too far since i didnt install mine yet.

RayArroyo
03-29-2007, 08:52 AM
paint store by my house sells it

SpendOne
03-30-2007, 12:57 AM
I get mines at the track. You can get it at Atco raceway for dirt cheap.

turbo4g63
03-30-2007, 09:46 AM
Lagos, (the guy with the turbo celica) runs windshield washer fluid..water injection or something..pretty sweet i think he said he picked up 20hp from it

grimm
04-11-2007, 02:27 PM
you installed the tank in your trunk right? i was pondering this for a while now but I the fear what happens when the system fails.

RayArroyo
04-11-2007, 02:30 PM
failsafe switch, cuts back boost to about 9 psi

RyanG
04-15-2007, 12:36 AM
hey spanky :) any news on that turbo stuff ?? :)

RayArroyo
04-16-2007, 08:28 AM
waiting to hear back from the dude.

TRBO98BIRD
04-20-2007, 09:46 PM
There is a speed shop in hatboro that stocks VP fuels methanol in 5 gallon jugs. Call VP fuels and ask for distributers in your area. You can get it from home depo, I think it's just called denatured alcohol that is safe for marine stoves in the paint section, or the cheapest way is using heet gas line anti freeze mixed with washer fluid. I think 2 bottles of heet in a half gallon of washer fluid is 50/50 or a little more.

Action Park
04-22-2007, 12:02 AM
Quick word of advice for all those running alky injection without a failsafe for limiting boost: Make sure that those push connectors at the black end of the shurflo pump are on tight!!! I noticed last night that my meth tank did'nt go down any after rigorous testing, so tonight I looked at my controller(devilsown) to see it blinking yellow under boost(meaning the pump was'nt working). When I got home, I noticed that the extreme red wire on the pump had come loose. I was running 12psi. I am only safely jetted(yes jets, as in a carb) for about 10psi, so if I was on 13 or 14, I probably would have popped the engine from this simple wire coming loose! Just be sure to check your connections and wires when you fill the tank or every day, it would'nt be fun to lose an engine for something stupid. Ya never know, even the failsafe might poop out.
And about the last post: Denatured is not methanol! It will work, but has a different stoich afr. If using washer fluid, get one that does'nt contain propylene glycol!
93 93/93

shahee1
05-04-2007, 05:44 PM
Be careful of the Meth cause its really corrosive. Coated internals will just make parts last longer but in the long run you will be doing a rebuild a bit earlier. My 280zx was meth injected ... then I moved to alcohol 50/50 - water. They both worked really well. You will notice that you save a bit of fuel also under normal driving situations and if you go to emissions you will pass with flying colors.

RayArroyo
05-04-2007, 09:19 PM
Be careful of the Meth cause its really corrosive. Coated internals will just make parts last longer but in the long run you will be doing a rebuild a bit earlier. My 280zx was meth injected ... then I moved to alcohol 50/50 - water. They both worked really well. You will notice that you save a bit of fuel also under normal driving situations and if you go to emissions you will pass with flying colors.

yeah i run ethyl

evospeed
05-07-2007, 05:07 PM
I have been running the SMC injection kit with 100% methanol for about a year now. I've had no problems with it and agree it is one of the best mods for a turbo charged car.

I will definitly be doing it again on my next turbo car (hopefully Evo X) well before some other mods that I did on my current Evo.

The kits made now are really good and you rarely hear of anyone messing up their engine. The other time I heard that one failed was when it was not installed properly.