PDA

View Full Version : lower control arm bolt stuck. help

Sberk06
03-13-2007, 03:43 AM
alright so i was trying to lower my eclispe tonight with sportlines but it turned out to be a nightmare.
basically i started by jacking the car up on both sides and taking the 2 front rims off. i decided to start on the front driver side.. i tried to losen the lower control arm but the bolt just kept spinning.. the weird part was that it would spin if i only turned one side.. if i turned the nut one way and the bolt the other, they would both seem like its working but never losen at all or tighten.. i know the bolt cant be snapped because the bolt spins even when i hold the nut.. could the nut possibly be stripped or am i just doing something wrong?? help my car sits to high i need to lower this asap.
oh by the way its a 98 mitsu spyder gst

RayArroyo
03-13-2007, 03:31 PM
alright so i was trying to lower my eclispe tonight with sportlines but it turned out to be a nightmare.
basically i started by jacking the car up on both sides and taking the 2 front rims off. i decided to start on the front driver side.. i tried to losen the lower control arm but the bolt just kept spinning.. the weird part was that it would spin if i only turned one side.. if i turned the nut one way and the bolt the other, they would both seem like its working but never losen at all or tighten.. i know the bolt cant be snapped because the bolt spins even when i hold the nut.. could the nut possibly be stripped or am i just doing something wrong?? help my car sits to high i need to lower this asap.
oh by the way its a 98 mitsu spyder gst

had that problem with a customers ,car oredered new ones and cut the old ones

turbo4g63
03-13-2007, 07:16 PM
i had troubles with that bolt, the bolt that holds the strut in place, and the axle nut, your best choice is to cut it out, and go to the hardware store and buy new bolts....grade 8 of course

Sberk06
03-13-2007, 09:25 PM
any idea of the size?

turbo4g63
03-13-2007, 10:24 PM
after you cut it, take a air hammer, or something to get the bolt out, and take it with you to the store, that is what i would do.

my suspension was actually worse, b/c my axle was siezed inside of the bearing so i had to take the whole knuckle out, then i put it in a 40 ton press and broke my steering knuckle before i could get the axle out, so i had to buy a steering knuckle/axle/bearing. cost me like 500 bucks....what a nightmare //rant

turbo4g63
03-13-2007, 10:26 PM
also while you are stuck on one side....if you can try to get the other side off, the rear will only take you like 45 minutes total, and the other side..if everything goes well will only take you about 1/2 hour

Sberk06
03-14-2007, 12:53 AM
thanks man.. ill let you know how it goes. im still debating how exactly im going to go about getting it off.. im thinking an electric saw right behind the nut?

turbo4g63
03-14-2007, 10:51 PM
whatever it takes man...if at all possible avoid destroying the bushing, but once you get it out of there, it's only a couple dollars for the bolt and a little bit of time and you're done, are you doing struts as well...if not, i highly reccommend you do! You will most likely blow out your stock ones and get shock oil all over everything. if you don't wanna put out too much money i would recommend tokico hp's (the blue one's) they are pretty cheap and its what i run, i've had them for a year and i'm satisfied w/ them

turbo4g63
03-14-2007, 10:53 PM
do you have air tools? another thing i would recommend, they make life a lot easier, also a thing to have handy is a good oxy/acetaline torch

Sberk06
03-15-2007, 12:47 AM
nope no air tools.. i can probably have access to them next week.. i might try to use an electric saw this weekend and see were that gets me.. about the whole shocks.. i have aftermarket adjustables on the car now so my plan is to use those and see were that gets me.. if they blow ill order some new ones...

Sberk06
03-15-2007, 12:48 AM
ps evo injectors go for like 100-150 on evo forums all day long.