PDA

View Full Version : aww **** this is my clutch going out isn't it?

drew
03-10-2007, 04:52 PM
i was at a light today and realized i was ideling at 2krpms, i pumped the clutch and it dropped down to normal idle (about 750 ) then i noticed while driving, if i shift into neuteral to coast my rpms stay were they were OR EVEN GO UP MORE. i was driving home, got to a hill at 3krpm and shifted to neuteral then as i coasted down my rpms steadily rose to 4k.

is that my clutch saying "**** you, replace me." ?

RyanG
03-10-2007, 05:09 PM
no. thats an idle air problem or vacuum leak.

does the clutch slip while under boost?

drew
03-10-2007, 05:13 PM
yes but the clutch has slipped since before i went f/i, it's a stock hyundai clutch

but vacuum leak.. i just installed a catch can about a week ago and thought i heard a hissing / whining sound under acceleration but figured it was the blower. and my vac is showing -23 sometimes, as far as i remember it was showing -20 before

thank you for your help, i also just threw a p0030 code for one of my o2 sensors and am worried ill have to take the car to the dearlship, i really dont have that much money to be blowing right now since i need to save for a clutch and still owe $900 on my ireland trip

RyanG
03-10-2007, 05:18 PM
18-20 inches of vacuum is normal. 23 inches is not. def vacuum leak.

drew
03-10-2007, 05:33 PM
okay, what should i do just spray a couple cans of fix a flat in my intake?

kidding, i'm using an AMW can, i figured it was quality but i guess it's probably the source of the leak. should I seal it with some silicone stuff or just some plumber tape ?

RyanG
03-10-2007, 05:39 PM
well the how do you have the can routed? normally the open crankcase vents arent a problem. I'd take a look at the intake gaskets. Spray carb cleaner at the base of the intake mani/supercharger. see if the idle comes down.

drew
03-10-2007, 05:59 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/andrewheartsbridget/024.jpg

i didn't realize when i did it that i was only catching the oil from the front so i was about to go out and switch it so that both valve covers went to the catch can and then the catch can went straight to the intake

RayArroyo
03-12-2007, 10:14 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/andrewheartsbridget/024.jpg

i didn't realize when i did it that i was only catching the oil from the front so i was about to go out and switch it so that both valve covers went to the catch can and then the catch can went straight to the intake

torque down the intake manifold bolts some more.

PaleDSM
03-12-2007, 10:38 AM

Most of the time a leak in vacuum lines will decrease the amount of vacuum being pulled in the intake manifold. Pulling more vac now then before doesn't lead me to believe that vac leaks are the problem.

I would diagnose your idle controlling parts. IAC, FIAV, ISC, etc.

Orbit
03-13-2007, 02:00 PM
What kind of catch can is that? looks nice. sorry ot

drew
03-13-2007, 05:34 PM
it's an AMW can

Vince@R/TTuning
03-13-2007, 11:54 PM
23 inches of vacumn under decel is normal.

highmilehatch
03-14-2007, 02:16 PM

I'd rather have 23 inches of vacuum than 18-20. If there was a vacuum leak, the number would be lower, not higher.

Like the others have said, spray some brakekleen around the intake manifold and see if the idle comes down.

RyanG
03-14-2007, 02:35 PM
yeah I def got that backwards lol. :)

another thing.. what EM are you using?? the timing could be advanced to far advanced possibly. Hmmmmmmmmmmm... this one is really puzzling

gary
03-14-2007, 03:15 PM
Get that **** tuned yo!

Watch this vid Drew posted on another thread...
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v296/andrewheartsbridget/?action=view&current=MVI_1174.flv

IS that 21:1 A/F Ratio? Stock car is around 14:1. Some other Tibs with about your same setup are running 10-12:1 A/F. Maybe the professionals want to comment on this?

drew
03-14-2007, 05:26 PM
21:1 was when i completly let off the throttle ( the same time vac spikes to -23 ) from what i understand that's completly normal, i sit at 14.5-7 at idle

gary
03-14-2007, 08:56 PM
Ohh ok, like I said before I am no FI master. I just put gas in mine and drive. =)

Honest_Bob
03-15-2007, 07:21 AM
Ohh ok, like I said before I am no FI master. I just put gas in mine and drive. =)

Typical female... :-p

igo4bmx
03-23-2007, 05:22 PM
I'd rather have 23 inches of vacuum than 18-20. If there was a vacuum leak, the number would be lower, not higher.

Like the others have said, spray some brakekleen around the intake manifold and see if the idle comes down.

true.dat

Dave
03-23-2007, 05:36 PM

umm thats not an FI trait, thats a "i just let off the throttle and now the engine is lean" trait ;)

lt4life89
04-19-2007, 02:32 PM
i have a problem... ill turn on my car and ill put it in gear... but i can let the clutch out and my car wont even stall out... itll just idle... and when i put it in gear i rev it a few times and ill just sit there... the car wont even move... does that mean my clutch went? one of my friends told me it could be clutch fluid... wtf is that? AND WHERE DO I CHECK IT?

Willdue
04-19-2007, 03:07 PM
i have a problem... ill turn on my car and ill put it in gear... but i can let the clutch out and my car wont even stall out... itll just idle... and when i put it in gear i rev it a few times and ill just sit there... the car wont even move... does that mean my clutch went? one of my friends told me it could be clutch fluid... wtf is that? AND WHERE DO I CHECK IT?

Ummm, Thread hi-jacker FTL?

dickerdieter
04-19-2007, 03:25 PM

yes, ur clutch is toast. if it was the fluid you wouldnt be able to get it into gear without it grinding.That happened to me in my integra

Orbit
04-19-2007, 04:14 PM
did you find your problem?

i was at a light today and realized i was ideling at 2krpms, i pumped the clutch and it dropped down to normal idle (about 750 ) then i noticed while driving, if i shift into neuteral to coast my rpms stay were they were OR EVEN GO UP MORE. i was driving home, got to a hill at 3krpm and shifted to neuteral then as i coasted down my rpms steadily rose to 4k.

is that my clutch saying "**** you, replace me." ?

Buster
04-19-2007, 04:19 PM
yes, the blinker fluid drained out into the clutch grabber funnel and lubed the flywheel to the point of ultimate slippage.

Most likely your clutch failed, this happend to my cousins car. time to upgrade!

drew
04-19-2007, 04:26 PM
i blew an apex seal and contaminated my vtec fluid

vaccum leak somewere, i got the IM warm and torqued it down, changed some hoses out and purchased all new clamps and never had the problem again. most likely it was the intake manifold like ray said. my clutch has been on its way out though

Orbit
04-19-2007, 04:30 PM
yeah, I hate it when that happens. they really need to redesign that blinker fluid container.

glad you fixed your problem.

yes, the blinker fluid drained out into the clutch grabber funnel and lubed the flywheel to the point of ultimate slippage.

Most likely your clutch failed, this happend to my cousins car. time to upgrade!