PDA

View Full Version : Would you trust this turbo kit???

CleanNeon98
03-04-2007, 01:56 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/01-05-HONDA-CIVIC-D17-CAST-T25-TURBO-KIT-W-IC-PIPING_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33742QQihZ020QQi temZ300087125841QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

or would I be better off buying this one, and getting the final pieces together for it like the clutch, and w.e else it needs....what would I need to buy to have this installed and running, and how much would everything cost? New exhaust system too?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/01-05-Civic-Turbo-Kit-D17-HKS-Garrett-EM2_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33742QQihZ010QQitem Z200085090158QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

SUB2.5RS
03-04-2007, 02:27 PM
I think your best bet would be the second one. But notice where is says ALMOST complete. So you would have to buy an e-manage which is not cheap (depending where u find it). As for the exhaust just get an ebay one if you want. And I think you can run low boost on your motor, but then again I'm not that familiar with Honda's. Also I would make sure this will fit exactly, contact the seller! So the second one!

GroceryGetter
03-04-2007, 02:27 PM
word of advice to you, dont get any turbo kits from ebay period.

4g4d4u
03-04-2007, 02:32 PM
you could probably get a turbo kit for around that price if you just pieced together a new one. youd have a better idea of everything being legit and you can get a new intercooler that doesnt look so beat. PM loserkidwac, give him what you want to make powerwise, and what motor you have and im positive he can put together a nice, cheap turbo kit for you. hes helped me in the past and is right now, id really reccomend him if you want to turbo a honda.

CleanNeon98
03-04-2007, 02:37 PM
you could probably get a turbo kit for around that price if you just pieced together a new one. youd have a better idea of everything being legit and you can get a new intercooler that doesnt look so beat. PM loserkidwac, give him what you want to make powerwise, and what motor you have and im positive he can put together a nice, cheap turbo kit for you. hes helped me in the past and is right now, id really reccomend him if you want to turbo a honda.
Would like to have somewhere between 160-170 at the wheels...I know that Dezod Motorsports installed a turbo kit in an auto civic of my generation, and it went from 92whp to around 162 or 164

GroceryGetter
03-04-2007, 02:39 PM
ok is it me or is this really not worth the money for the end result?

SUB2.5RS
03-04-2007, 02:44 PM
Well it might not be but whatever.

Vypurr
03-04-2007, 03:02 PM
Why don't you just find the shop who you are going to have install everything and ask them to get you the kit? Atleast that way they will be installing what they know and are comfortable with, and they will be tuning it with the device that they know best.

TROLL
03-04-2007, 03:05 PM
generally, you get what you pay for.

in addition, i dont think your car is worth modding. enjoy it for what it is, save up some cash, and a bit down the road find something with more potential. i think turbo-ing that will lead to a lot of reliability issues and it will just turn into a money pit.

if you really want to know what kits are good and not you wont start another thread here, you will do some work yourself and research it. i'm sure all of the info is online about your options.

CleanNeon98
03-04-2007, 03:14 PM
generally, you get what you pay for.

in addition, i dont think your car is worth modding. enjoy it for what it is, save up some cash, and a bit down the road find something with more potential. i think turbo-ing that will lead to a lot of reliability issues and it will just turn into a money pit.

if you really want to know what kits are good and not you wont start another thread here, you will do some work yourself and research it. i'm sure all of the info is online about your options.

Guess il just do what I had lined up prior to this. You never had that talk with me BTW

whitezenki
03-04-2007, 03:30 PM
boo for ebay anything...
boo for running from research and taking the easy route..
boo for changing your mind like the wind...

GroceryGetter
03-04-2007, 03:46 PM
it just wouldnt be smart to do that at this point with that car. Think about it, hes gonna drop at least 1100 go gain 70 some hp which puts him in the 160's like he said, its still a 15 second car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! its not worth the money.

ScubaSteve
03-04-2007, 03:48 PM
boo for ebay anything...
boo for running from research and taking the easy route..
boo for changing your mind like the wind...

+1

Go find a good honda site on google and read everything they write about boosting those cars. You might just find out that its not worth the hassle from the people that would know best.

Dave
03-04-2007, 04:17 PM
it just wouldnt be smart to do that at this point with that car. Think about it, hes gonna drop at least 1100 go gain 70 some hp which puts him in the 160's like he said, its still a 15 second car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! its not worth the money.

yes. however, were he to find himself a friend that could weld and did some digging at the pick and pull he could have that same result for just a couple hundred dollars. hell, with mild work i'll bet you could get 200 whp out of it. for how long is the big question though, since honda tends towards ultralight internals on economy engines

GroceryGetter
03-04-2007, 04:24 PM
im not trying to put him down or discurrage him, i just dont think its a good platform to start boosting, thats all.

4g4d4u
03-04-2007, 04:33 PM
i dont know about the newer d series' but i know theres a big group of people that swear by d series turbos. i assume its relatively similar to the older ones, and he could deffinately get a nice junkyard setup for cheap.

aint nothing wrong with 4door civics! the platform leaves much to be desired but itll be on the original side if he does go turbo. itll be sweet if he pulls it off. d series motors are cheap anyway if it blows up <400 bucks will get him a new one

teh DIRT
03-04-2007, 04:35 PM
www.homemadeturbo.com
www.homemadeturbo.com
www.homemadeturbo.com
www.homemadeturbo.com
www.homemadeturbo.com
www.homemadeturbo.com
www.homemadeturbo.com
www.homemadeturbo.com
www.homemadeturbo.com
www.homemadeturbo.com

i love this site. Its mostly all hondas but there are a handful of other makes on there including me. Great info on turbo'ing honda motors.

enigma
03-04-2007, 08:25 PM
I wouldn't trust the turbos, but alot of times, the manifolds and piping are an excellent starting point.
Only problem with tubular ebay manifolds is that they have a tendency to not have enough bracing, and a few leaky welds, nothing a TIG welder and some flat stock cant fix tho.

drew
03-04-2007, 09:16 PM
you know, i hate to be a dick and all but you make a different thread about plans for your car and asking stupid questions every week but never follow through. you change your mind about what you're going to do on a daily basis and for the most part ignore any advice you're given here, you should really just join honda tech or another forum and ask your questions there because quite frankly you're a drain for knowledgeable applies here, i'm sure within a week you'll make another thread about how you're short on cash and going to save up for a car with more potential.

you seem like a nice enough guy and i have no problems with you, but i really think if you just take my advice and ask your tech questions elsewere people here will like you a lot more

slavetothemuzic
03-04-2007, 09:45 PM
I wouldn't touch either of those kits with a 10 foot pole.

When it comes to boosting a car, do it right or don't do it at all.

If you don't it's going to become extremely costly and you'll regret it bigtime in the long run.

jdm free
03-21-2007, 08:03 AM
http://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1024174

f/i faq^

dont buy things that will actually effect your motor on ebay, like turbos, stick wit exhausts or intakes

Broken5hift
03-21-2007, 09:06 AM
word of advice to you, dont get any turbo kits from ebay period.

i couldnt agree more. ebay just isnt the place to buy performance part IMO.

aside from that people posted up some great links and info to other places and what not.

I kind of agree with troll in the fact that once you turbo it, your cars probably going to become a money pit. most cars that don't come with a turbo end up hating it when you put one on.

aside from that the only other thing i have to say is i strongly disagree with the people telling cleanneon to not make threads and go find out the info on his own. he obviously did research on certain kits on ebay and wanted this forums opinion on them, what is wrong with that? nothing. thats why this forum is here isnt it? he is asking a car related question and providing links to the kits in questions. if your going to tell him to go research instead of making a thread then what is the point of this website? because in my opinion this thread was by the book

RayArroyo
03-21-2007, 09:52 AM
i would see if they sell you the kit - the turbo and get a garret turbo

CleanNeon98
03-21-2007, 10:05 AM
Yea, this has been scrapped. The car might be going for sale soon, so I am kinda selling most of my aftermarket crap.