PDA

View Full Version : 02 Sentra, Hissing noice from header.

Buster
06-19-2005, 01:00 PM
Ive had my megan racing header on for a little over two months. Ever since I put it on I have noticed that at 3k and above I get this sparatic hissing. I dont know if this is normal for a header with stock exhaust. The other day when I was cleaning my engine bay I noticed that the header has a crack in the weld on the first O2 sensor. Could this be where my noice is coming from? The Gaskets from the header all the way down to my muffler have been changed and it still didnt correct my problem. I am running a stock exhaust as of now. so I dont know if i may be getting reversion.

sPrSw2o
06-19-2005, 03:51 PM
its gotta be the crack.... being as your car is pretty much stock (right?), i dont see reversion as an option...

Buster
06-19-2005, 08:35 PM
I have an intake and the header.

sPrSw2o
06-19-2005, 09:57 PM
ok..... i still think its gotta be the crack.

Buster
06-20-2005, 01:13 AM
its so small though. thats why im not sure. It wont do it unless the car is actually driving full throttle at 3k +.

MuddyREX
06-20-2005, 09:02 AM
Sounds like an exhaust leak. If it is bolted up nice and tight, then I would also assume it's the crack.

Unless you have a snake stuck in there.

Buster
06-22-2005, 12:54 AM
So the crack I thought I saw was really a dark discoloration around the weld. And the hissing noise is built up pressure because Im still running with the stock cat and exhaust. So all should be remedied by a down pipe and new catback. Now if only i could get the money up.

sPrSw2o
06-22-2005, 12:20 PM
ive never hear of anyone getting a "hissing" noise from running a header on a stock exhaust. that dark spot could be soot from the leak. did you check very closely?

SexyDSM95
06-22-2005, 12:25 PM
Spray soapy water or carb cleaner in the area you hear the "hissing". If you use carb cleaner your car will rev a bit higher since it's being sucked into the exhaust, soapy water will just make bubbles (obviously). If definately sounds like either a crack in the welds (which does happen often in the DSM world with the tubular manis) or a whole in the seal/gasket. Definately try the soapy water or carb cleaner that will pin point where the leak is.

2point4DSM
06-22-2005, 12:43 PM
Sexy, the leak is at the exhaust. Whatever you spray on there is just going to burn.

Cracks at the exhaust can open up at higher rpms due to heat and backpressure.

I vote for crackin the header. Headers never last as long as cast iron manifolds. Are you using all the supports for the header that it requires?

Wil

AllMotorVTEC
06-22-2005, 10:38 PM
maybe because its a sentra...lol...j/k :banana:

99ElectronBlueCivicSi
06-23-2005, 01:38 AM

maybe cause u drive a honda....wait **** i drive a honda too haha :supz: im jus messin wit u man

04 Turbo Spec
06-24-2005, 01:16 AM

dude u have no room to talk u drive a honda civic (dosent even deserv to me capitalized)

moorefire
06-24-2005, 08:28 AM
All those cheap ass ebay manis crack (megan racing, ssautocrack, obx, they're all knocked off by the same company.)

do yourself a favor and throw it out

Buster
06-26-2005, 08:21 PM
There is no crack, its just a discoloration around the weld. The hissing is only during WOT. And from what ive heard from mechanics at work its only because i still have a restrictive exhaust on the car. Im not losing any power. im still able to make it up to 130 without any trouble. And its still pulling hard. I just need to get the DP and catback.

272sWrx
06-26-2005, 08:28 PM
non turbo cars have dp's?

Buster
06-28-2005, 02:04 PM
Yeah, its the pipe that starts at the end of the header, replaces the cat and its piping, and connects at the beginning of the cat back.

MR downpipe for the spec V:
http://www.meganracing.com/uploadImage/regular/SSDP-NS02%20x500.jpg

edit* Im sure you knew that. I feel rude now.

Buster
07-10-2005, 12:01 PM
Officially know now what the noise is. I was fishing around on the Vboard today and someone with this same header had asked the same question except he saw something i didnt. at the beginning of the header on the left side he mentioned a black deposit on the gasket, header, and block. This is the leak. I know this because i have the same exact deposit in the same exact spot. So now me and the mad scientist have to rip apart the bay to get the damn header off and seal this with the reccomended sealant.

SilverTurboRidin
07-10-2005, 12:09 PM
well then good luck glad you know what it is

moorefire
07-11-2005, 11:32 AM
Officially know now what the noise is. I was fishing around on the Vboard today and someone with this same header had asked the same question except he saw something i didnt. at the beginning of the header on the left side he mentioned a black deposit on the gasket, header, and block. This is the leak. I know this because i have the same exact deposit in the same exact spot. So now me and the mad scientist have to rip apart the bay to get the damn header off and seal this with the reccomended sealant.

Sealant???????

sealant is NOT going to stop that crack from getting worse

Do what I said origninally and throw that POS away. If you don't you'll get really good at taking your mani off. Cus this won't be the first and only time this will happen. Jeezus, is the extra 2hp worth that type of aggervation? I guess the cool engine bay bling is...

Or re-weld it and have it crack somewhere else in a few months.

garbage in-garbage out

SilverTurboRidin
07-11-2005, 12:56 PM
i would take it off and send it back to the manufactor.

This happened on our 03 mustang GT. We had a custom header back exhaust system. Bassani X-pipe no cat's, Borla Mufflers.

Well the X-pipe wasnt molded right, they tried fixing it at the exhaust shop. they thought it was fixed but it wasnt. the pipe had to be resent out. We got another X-pipe same brand, had the same problems. Then went to a Borla X-pipe W/ cat's and that was fine.

So maybe its a design flaw

moorefire
07-11-2005, 01:15 PM
Geoff from Full-Race (makers of the best turbo manis in the USA)
why e-bay manis are garbage (http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB9&Number=67973213&Forum =All_Forums&Words=full_race_geoff&Match=Username&S earchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=6months&Main=67972146&Sea rch=true#Post67973213)

All thin walled manis crack. They're designed to look bling for show car posers. They will not support the weight and tourqe forces of your exhaust hanging off of it. There's a reason stock manis are cast. Why would you put a part on your car that you know will fail?

Send your mani back and get a new one. I know SSautochrome has been warrenting all of the RWD Sr20 manis that have been cracking, so I don't see why megan wouldn't. Then sell that mani and put your stocker back on, or get a real mani.

Buster
07-12-2005, 12:58 AM
haha you guys arent reading all the way. There is no leak. its a bad gasket fit thats all. All i need to do is get a factory gasket and seal it with rtv copper gasket sealant and problem is solved. as seen here:

http://forums.thevboard.com/viewtopic.php?p=871497#871497

2point4DSM
07-12-2005, 07:24 AM
haha you guys arent reading all the way. There is no leak. its a bad gasket fit thats all.

I don't get it. Everyone on that site is talking about a leak. And if it wasn't a leak then why is everyone swapping out their gasket???

Buster
07-12-2005, 09:18 PM
Im sorry, i meant crack. (which is what i must be on) There is a leak in the gasket, but no crack in header. Sorry for the confusion DSM.