PDA

View Full Version : I think I blew my power steering...

Jeffros Spec V
02-26-2007, 05:24 PM
I was having some fun in the snow last night, once I was finished I noticed my steering was a little whack. At a complete stop turning the wheel feels like the car isn't on. Also turns at slow speed the steering seems really difficult.

Any suggestions?

RayArroyo
02-26-2007, 05:32 PM
check the fluid and belt

dickerdieter
02-26-2007, 05:32 PM
sell me your specV

TalonTsi97
02-26-2007, 05:33 PM
That sucks, your the 4th person i heard this happen to in the last 2 weeks.

sisforsurfing
02-26-2007, 05:35 PM
Sounds like it, mine was whining a lot and not really kicking in after the last couple times I went out but now it's fine. Bummer.
What do you mean by steering being a "little whack."

TROLL
02-26-2007, 06:28 PM
you blew your power steering pump by keeping the wheel turned at full lock and doing donuts in the snow... and unfortunately i dont think they're cheap to replace. you cant leave the wheel at full lock, gotta back it off once you initiate the spin.
dont try to drive the car like that for very long though, i know a guy in CO who drove his car off the side of a mountain pass because he thought he could drive the car safely without power steering.

Silverfc88
02-26-2007, 06:38 PM
you blew your power steering pump by keeping the wheel turned at full lock and doing donuts in the snow... and unfortunately i dont think they're cheap to replace. you cant leave the wheel at full lock, gotta back it off once you initiate the spin.
dont try to drive the car like that for very long though, i know a guy in CO who drove his car off the side of a mountain pass because he thought he could drive the car safely without power steering.

Is it really that bad for WRX's to drive without power steering? I know on some cars the power steering only works at low speeds and turns off at speeds like at 30mph for an example.

My car came with power steering form the factory, but I removed the pump and drained to fluid. At low speeds like parking it gets a little tough but its no problem really and at speeds above parking lot speeds its feels fine. Infact I think it feels better in turns without it.

I guess ratio in the steering rack and everything in the WRX has alot to do with it also. I can see where people would get suprised when the power steering goes out, but you should still be able to steer.

Jeffros Spec V
02-26-2007, 06:54 PM

Yeah exactly what I came up with. It was my first time in the snow with AWD. I've learned my lesson. It was fun and glad I didn't ruin anything else.

I'm a property damage appriaser I've got connections out the balls as far as parts and labor go :) :) :)

TROLL
02-26-2007, 07:20 PM
Is it really that bad for WRX's to drive without power steering? I know on some cars the power steering only works at low speeds and turns off at speeds like at 30mph for an example.

My car came with power steering form the factory, but I removed the pump and drained to fluid. At low speeds like parking it gets a little tough but its no problem really and at speeds above parking lot speeds its feels fine. Infact I think it feels better in turns without it.

I guess ratio in the steering rack and everything in the WRX has alot to do with it also. I can see where people would get suprised when the power steering goes out, but you should still be able to steer.

why did you remove power steering? i know that not all cars came with it, especially older ones, so i'm not sure how safe/unsafe it can really be, it might have to do with the fact that the front wheels are driven on the wrx... all i know is my friend was on a mountain pass and couldnt turn in as quickly as he planned, he hit some gravel on the center strip and it was game over.

Jeffros Spec V
02-26-2007, 07:51 PM
why did you remove power steering? i know that not all cars came with it, especially older ones, so i'm not sure how safe/unsafe it can really be, it might have to do with the fact that the front wheels are driven on the wrx... all i know is my friend was on a mountain pass and couldnt turn in as quickly as he planned, he hit some gravel on the center strip and it was game over.

It takes power to operate things like power steering and a/c. People remove them to free up power or room when doing custom jobs.

I don't know really the value of the gains on a street driven car.

whitezenki
02-26-2007, 08:21 PM
ive driven a few cars (FF and FR) with PS removed, its not that bad as long as u expect it, its just a pain the ass when parking or goin slow. 240's often dont have PS after swapping engines b/c of the hassle of customizing a new setup as well as the better feedback recieved from a manual steering setup

circus_clown
02-26-2007, 08:24 PM
was there a ton of snow jammed up in the fender wells, and it was stopping or making the turning effort extra hard?

Jeffros Spec V
02-26-2007, 08:53 PM
No, it's just ****ed up. At a stop I can't turn the wheels and once I'm going over 30 its pretty much ok.

K-Rex
02-28-2007, 10:47 AM
Real men don't have power steering. My forearms are like tree trunks from trying parallel park in the Echo.

Jeffros Spec V
02-28-2007, 06:39 PM
Update: Got myself a power steering pump. $100 :) I'll put it on and report back.

Thanks for the input guys :)

Uberu
02-28-2007, 10:58 PM
you're a turd. at least you didn't crash into a curb like gerry iovine and do 2500 dollars in damages to a 4 month old car

Jeffros Spec V
02-28-2007, 11:48 PM
hahahaah ahahah ahahahah

K-Rex
03-01-2007, 12:09 AM
you're a turd. at least you didn't crash into a curb like gerry iovine and do 2500 dollars in damages to a 4 month old car

Or and old man's Caprice with a 1 month old car.

Uberu
03-01-2007, 07:26 AM
A) it was into a 1910 toyota camry B) the car was six months old C) it only did 56 dollars in damage to my car and 0 to his

ozthunder
03-01-2007, 10:01 AM
My Datsun didn't have power steering..for about 2 years of my life I considered PS to be the ultimate luxury..lol

K-Rex
03-01-2007, 06:16 PM
A) it was into a 1910 toyota camry B) the car was six months old C) it only did 56 dollars in damage to my car and 0 to his

BTW next time you race make sure you arm isn't hanging out the window because that giant disgusting size of a small mountain tumor could create enough drag to stop time.