PDA

View Full Version : Who Builds....

na is best!
02-25-2007, 05:10 PM
looking to see who here BUILDS there honda motors??? Not talking about intakes I mean Build, headwork, bottom work. Wanna get a feel for this Honda community on this website...

This is my current project
95 gsr block
PCT pistons
ITR rods
GSR crank
PR3 head
supertech valvetrain
BuddyClubIV cams
Spark Header
ITR Intake mani
70mm-68 TB...

Hoping to be done in a couple months... so who else here builds motors????

streetAssasin96
02-25-2007, 05:38 PM
06civsi and me are working on an ls block right now. probably gonna throw a gsr head on and boost it. we are also looking for a crx shell or maybe like an ef hatch. its just hard with time and money. good luck with your build

streetAssasin96
02-25-2007, 05:59 PM
btw, not to be off topic or anything but did you get my pm? if your not interested thats cool, but at least let me know.

Blkmax
02-25-2007, 08:02 PM
BCSPEED!!

Honestly Mike from BCSpeed is the only person that i would trust with my car. He does everything and KNOWS what he is doing.

sponsored1
02-25-2007, 08:58 PM
I've built more honda motors then i'd care to think about

na is best!
02-25-2007, 09:02 PM
I've built more honda motors then i'd care to think about

BUILT or assembled??? there is a difference.. I wasnt asking about just rebuilding a stock motor.. asking about building a motor.. if you have wha kinds? h, d, b series??? and wha would you say was the best?

sponsored1
02-25-2007, 09:16 PM
built, assembled, machined, everything. d-series, h-series, b-series, k-series. B-series is the easiest as far as build and parts available. K-series is a better designed motor and makes more power.

highmilehatch
02-25-2007, 09:35 PM
I like making power on stock blocks.

CHR!S
02-25-2007, 10:00 PM
I like making power on stock blocks.

thats because your a badass

na is best!
02-25-2007, 10:20 PM
built, assembled, machined, everything. d-series, h-series, b-series, k-series. B-series is the easiest as far as build and parts available. K-series is a better designed motor and makes more power.

would you change anything about my setup?

CHR!S
02-25-2007, 11:34 PM
would you change anything about my setup?

are you going to be porting the head as well? this setup sounds very similar to my friends old setup in his H1 car.

Specs:
B18c5 block with 81mm CTR pistons (standard bore)
B16a2 head with valve job and some mild exhaust work
OEM head gasket
Mugen Oil Pan
Mugen Thermostat
Buddy Club stage 4's
Buddy Club cam gears
Rocket Gen2 springs and Ti retainers
RC 370cc injectors
OEM ITR TB and intake manifold
Toda header
T1R test pipe
Fujitsubo RM-01A exhaust
B16a2 tranny
Quaife LSD
4.9 ATS F/D
Toda Flywheel
Exedy organic clutch
CTR N1 crank pulley
Neptune EMS
Velocity stack
100 octane unleaded

225whp 141tq.

http://dynos.evans-tuning.com/225whpH1challengeEK.jpg

btw: good luck with the build

WhiteXFire
02-25-2007, 11:43 PM
BCSPEED!!

Honestly Mike from BCSpeed is the only person that i would trust with my car. He does everything and KNOWS what he is doing.
Did someone say BCSPEED?

http://www.mdljhu.com/private/images/slr/charity_dyno/DSC_0675.jpg

(From Dyno Day last June)
Honestly, the loudest car I've ever heard in my life...

Blkmax
02-26-2007, 12:14 AM
lol his DA is sick

na is best!
02-26-2007, 12:25 AM
damn that da is sexi!!!! who;s is it.. do i see a gatorade botle? lol.... yea chris very similar.. i hope i get 225whp 141tq... i seen em all the way down to around 190whp as well.. but we will see what happens.. any more engine bay shots of that da???? turbo is my nest route after this build

WhiteXFire
02-26-2007, 12:28 AM
damn that da is sexi!!!! who;s is it.. do i see a gatorade botle? lol.... yea chris very similar.. i hope i get 225whp 141tq... i seen em all the way down to around 190whp as well.. but we will see what happens.. any more engine bay shots of that da???? turbo is my nest route after this build

BCSPEED brought it to the charity dyno...look at the top of the engine.

Here's another pic:

http://www.mdljhu.com/private/images/slr/charity_dyno/DSC_0672.jpg

BCSpeed
02-26-2007, 12:46 AM
Im mike from Bcspeed, ive built every engine from all the cars that we have built. From piston and rod setups to 700 SFWD drag cars. AS picured is my da we made 610whp at 28 psi, we needed to install a second pump inorder to make some more power. If you need any help at all with your build or parts feel free to contact me. The shop number is(215)547-5473.

CHR!S
02-26-2007, 02:02 AM

well if your going to be going turbo after this build, why not prep the motor for turbo beforehand. run some civic type-r cams instead of the bc 4's and run eagle h-beam rods, then just switch to some je 9:1 pistons when the time comes...

na is best!
02-26-2007, 07:30 AM
no... i am building a all motor setup now... i have a ls block as well in the garage.. that is gonna be my turbo motor.. but i can only afford 1 project at a time... i also have a sohc block i might boost instead of the ls.. havent decided

CHR!S
02-26-2007, 11:08 AM
i see. well then good luck with both builds :thumbup:

ketchup!
02-26-2007, 02:13 PM
no... i am building a all motor setup now... i have a ls block as well in the garage.. that is gonna be my turbo motor.. but i can only afford 1 project at a time... i also have a sohc block i might boost instead of the ls.. havent decided

build a sohc 500 whp turbo beast :)

Nors
02-26-2007, 05:36 PM
i Started a build but I am selling the head now since its not the route I want to go anymore. I am (hopefully) on buying a TSi this weekend so that will be a new project car. It has a 7 bolt in it, so I will probably find a 6 bolt to put into it for now, and rebuild the 7 bolt on the side. But back on topic, Honda motors seem fun and relatively simple to build. Check out Jeff Evans' "definitive GSR motor build" has a lot of information if its your first time.

2000MRDC2
02-27-2007, 12:37 AM
mike from bcspeed is awesome all of his work is deffinitely top notch and hes very good at what he does...hes the only one ill let work on my car and when i buy another honda he will be the only one to work on it.

underpressure02
03-02-2007, 11:25 AM
Top name guys I would use if I was building a race motor.

Sean from ERL Bottom End
Jim Justice from Justice Racing Engines Bottom End
Stewart Racing Engines For the Head and Bottom End
Dave from Head Games For the Head

dturbocivic
03-10-2007, 03:29 PM
amazing

Vince@R/TTuning
03-13-2007, 11:42 PM
We do alot of honda motors, do everything in house except for the cylinder boring and block decking. more then welcome to contact us if you wanna go over some things. 215-855-5565

lude98SH
03-15-2007, 10:30 PM
what compression pistons are they that you are running ? What headgasket and what type of valve face (flat or dished) ?

na is best!
03-15-2007, 10:45 PM
what compression pistons are they that you are running ? What headgasket and what type of valve face (flat or dished) ?

im running ctr pistons with a oem headgasket and dish supertech valves

NJslvrtypes
03-21-2007, 04:45 PM
First motor build here, straight forward GE sleeved/bored K20A2, Carrillo rods, and Wiseco 9:1 pistons. 4K hard miles so far

#'s in Sig, T4 coming soon....

CHR!S
03-21-2007, 11:24 PM
sounds like a pretty beastly build. what are you running as far as intake manifold and valvetrain?

NJslvrtypes
03-21-2007, 11:52 PM
sounds like a pretty beastly build. what are you running as far as intake manifold and valvetrain?

Stock intake manifold/Supertech Valve springs retainers at the time.

Soon it will have an RBC manifold to help sustain torque in the upper rpms. Also, the car was only rev'd to about 8400 as the .63AR T67 was just out of breath. Now I have a feeling those valvespring and reatiners will be going to good use.

CHR!S
03-22-2007, 09:45 AM
you need some ips kt1 or kt2 cams as well.

NJslvrtypes
03-22-2007, 11:19 AM
you need some ips kt1 or kt2 cams as well.

absolutely, but ever since Ron hasn't been a vendor directly to the public things have taken a bad turn. Its about a 10-11 month wait for cams and forget about the IM that was supposed to be released.

It is a shame though as they were making 80HP over stock on a mild 35R build.:eek:

CHR!S
03-22-2007, 12:16 PM
absolutely, but ever since Ron hasn't been a vendor directly to the public things have taken a bad turn. Its about a 10-11 month wait for cams and forget about the IM that was supposed to be released.

It is a shame though as they were making 80HP over stock on a mild 35R build.:eek:

yea its pretty ****ty, he needed some better management of IPS when he had the chance. what if you some skunk2/buddy club/r-crew all motor cams? i read about someone running ips k2's with a comptech supercharger and with the correct tuning it added like 30-40whp.

NJslvrtypes
03-22-2007, 04:46 PM
yea its pretty ****ty, he needed some better management of IPS when he had the chance. what if you some skunk2/buddy club/r-crew all motor cams? i read about someone running ips k2's with a comptech supercharger and with the correct tuning it added like 30-40whp.

Yeah, IPS did need some help unfortunately. I ordered K2's way back in the day and it took almost six months to receive. It definately is a shame because all his cams made serious power there was no denying it.

And somebody has been doing there homework.:mrgreen: NA cams w/ larger exhaust housings, huge downpipes, and a great flowing head have shown some pretty big increases. I've talked w/ Geoff from FR and Jeff from Evans and theoretically even K20A cams will free some more power.

But I'm at the point now where, when is enough...enough?? I already surpassed triple the torque output of a stock motor and am shooting for way way more. I have to swap gearsets every couple weeks, gets expensive and time consuming.

I think after tuning/track times I'll be ready for a more practical project. Or a motor swap into a lighter chassis to at least be competitive w/ the car, cough cough CRX.:devil:

CHR!S
03-22-2007, 07:35 PM
i ordered ksc cams when i bought my car expecting to have those and get the supercharger further down the road, but i traded those for some ksm (stroker motors) and then sold those to a friend whos building a 300+whp n/a K. you can easily make 500whp on a stock block. get a gt40r and crank boost up until things start breaking :)

NJslvrtypes
03-22-2007, 08:21 PM
i ordered ksc cams when i bought my car expecting to have those and get the supercharger further down the road, but i traded those for some ksm (stroker motors) and then sold those to a friend whos building a 300+whp n/a K. you can easily make 500whp on a stock block. get a gt40r and crank boost up until things start breaking :)

So you sold both the ksc and ksm's, whats next on the agenda?

My friend did 540/400 on a stock K20 block, still beating it to this day. But I have GE sleeves and the twin scroll T4 mani. is on the way from Full Race. Actually just ordered it this afternoon, now the decision is in fact the 4088R or the 4294?

pearl
03-22-2007, 08:46 PM
use the LS crank in the gsr motor ;)

CHR!S
03-22-2007, 10:18 PM
So you sold both the ksc and ksm's, whats next on the agenda?

i dunno yet. i found a local kid who wrecked his rsx with a comptech supercharger who needs to get rid of it for dirt cheap. i offered him $600. if he goes for it then thats going on the car before the suspension. maybe run some itr cams for the time being until buddy club comes out with their supercharged k20 cams :)

na is best!
03-23-2007, 08:35 AM
I can get rcrew cams with springs and retainers for $1000... Just FYI

CHR!S
03-23-2007, 09:26 AM
I can get rcrew cams with springs and retainers for $1000... Just FYI

for the k20? what about an r-crew header?

i might be in touch with you in the summer about some internals :wink:

na is best!
03-24-2007, 07:40 AM
for the k20? what about an r-crew header?

i might be in touch with you in the summer about some internals :wink:

$750 i believe i will have to call the shop to double check......yea whatever you need let me know.. i can get prolly the best prices around:mrgreen:

CHR!S
03-25-2007, 12:21 PM
$750 i believe i will have to call the shop to double check......yea whatever you need let me know.. i can get prolly the best prices around:mrgreen:

good stuff :partyman:

90IntegraC1
03-29-2007, 04:12 PM
B18A1 Block
ACL Main/Rod Bearings
Eagle Rods
ARP Rod Bolts
P73 Pistons/Rings

B18C1 Head
Ported/Polished Intake Side
3-angle Valve job
RM M22X Camshafts
RM Springs/Retainers
Mfactory Cam Gears
Ferrerea Valves

Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump
RC 310cc Injecters
GSR Fuel Rail

PWJDM CF Intake
Maxbore 62mm TB
Blox IM
Hondata IM Gasket
AN-R Header
SMSP High-flow Cat
RS*R Exmag Exhaust

B17 YS1 Trans
Clutchmasters FX100 Clutch/PP
Clutchmasters 8 lb. Flywheel
B&M Short Throw

Chipped P28 ECU (Crome)
OBD0-OBD1 Conversion Harness

this is my build....in the works right now....i'd say i'm about 1/3 done.

na is best!
03-29-2007, 07:46 PM
you build looks good.. similiar to my first build.. i got one question.. why use eagle rods and stock pistons? why not just use ls rods? and run a 2 layer cometic gasket to help bump up compression.. everything looks good though!!!!!!!! good luck!!

k20Hatch
03-31-2007, 08:36 AM
Ive been building honda motors for a while now and we have a machine shop is Thorndale my dad is rediculous with porting heads as well Spyder Prep Racing, 610-384-5924 he has been in buisness for well over 15 years

90IntegraC1
03-31-2007, 09:21 AM
I want to use Eagle Rods b/c they come with ARP Rod Bolts....I have a set of ls rods, but i don't think it's worth it to send them away to have the journals resized for the rod bolts and have them shot-peened, when I could just buy Eagle Rods for $400 or so....

I'm not dead-set on P73 Pistons, I'm def looking into something along the lines of CP, Weisco, or JE....hmmm

na is best!
04-01-2007, 03:34 AM
I want to use Eagle Rods b/c they come with ARP Rod Bolts....I have a set of ls rods, but i don't think it's worth it to send them away to have the journals resized for the rod bolts and have them shot-peened, when I could just buy Eagle Rods for $400 or so....

i think you only shot peen the rod if you are running forged pistons... not on cast pistons...i myself am doing ctr pistons on gsr rods myself with arp rod bolts and main bolts....just make sure to get you bottom end balanced and the shop you take it too knows what he is doing

I'm not dead-set on P73 Pistons, I'm def looking into something along the lines of CP, Weisco, or JE....hmmm

p73 are alright for a nice allmotor/nitrous street car....the good thing about em is the coating on the sides and the oil holes.... if you wanna try and get more compression you can run flat valves with a cometic 2 layer gasket..but also a b16 piston will give you a lil more over the type r.. so if you wanna stay simple there are options... for forged i would def go with cp pistons or weisco...