PDA

View Full Version : Getting work done on my WRX

pswrx
06-15-2005, 12:10 AM
i want to get the up pipe and down pipe done. i was wondering where you guys get your stuff done, and how much does it cost. I do not have the time or the space to mess with any of this stuff on my own

thanks

kef
06-15-2005, 12:26 AM
Talk to 01CoolBlue (Charles), he's not a shop, but he's done them before for people.

TROLL
06-15-2005, 12:30 AM
ha yeah charles and i have been doing some work for people lately... if we've done it before and know how then we'll most likely be happy to take care of whatever you need for a good deal cheaper than a shop would be. its an option...
if you're lookign to take it to a real shop then precision tuning in brick, nj is definitely the place i'd send you to... they get excellent reviews all the time and are subaru pros.
bryan

Aaron
06-15-2005, 01:02 AM
Is Precision the same as Precision Dyno?

wrx_snobordr
06-15-2005, 01:10 AM
Is Precision the same as Precision Dyno?

no, precision is in brick nj and is kick ass. Precision dyno is somewhere else and i havent heard to much about them. I highly highly recommend precision tuning in brick, those dudes kick a$$ and really know their way around a subaru and they are pretty cheap too. I think its like 350 for an up-pipe and that includes the pipe itself.

Bryan, dont you mean charles has been doin work on people cars and you just volunteer his time and house? ha ha.

doug
06-15-2005, 01:33 AM
www.fsmoto.com

in Delaware... go there and save on tax... great guys too. tell em doug sent you.

TROLL
06-15-2005, 02:05 AM
:eek: no way!!! we did an uppipe together recently and i'd certainly like to think that i was leading the charge on that one. charles recently installed tranny mounts and i left that up to him since i have no experience with it.
anyways, back on topic... precision tuning and precision dyno tuning are two different places... i dont know why anyone would choose a name thats basically already taken by someone in the same state, but lets not get into that...
bryan

sesolcSTI
06-15-2005, 07:43 AM
+1 for precisionTUNING :thumbup:

MuddyREX
06-15-2005, 07:46 AM
www.precisiontuning.com

teh DIRT
06-15-2005, 08:55 AM
charles and bryan know their stuff. Ive been there during most of their installs helping out and everytime things go flawlessly.
-pete

Chair-Force
06-15-2005, 11:09 AM
+1 for precisionTUNING :thumbup:

+2

TehWagon
06-15-2005, 02:11 PM
+1 for precision tuning, just a suggestion to be TOTALLY CLEAR about the price before they start the work... i think when what's his face's partner went to florida, the bookkeeping end of the business went downhill a tad... had a little misunderstanding regarding price but no complaints with the work. :thumbup:

pswrx
06-16-2005, 12:07 AM
for anyone that has the up/down pipe done, how do you pass pa inspection??? this is my daily driver and i dont want to have to swap parts every year if i can help it.

Chair-Force
06-16-2005, 12:28 AM
for anyone that has the up/down pipe done, how do you pass pa inspection??? this is my daily driver and i dont want to have to swap parts every year if i can help it.

PA uses the OBDII for cars from 1995 and up. In a nutshell, the shop's inspection computer looks for CEL's (check engine light) on your ECU.
Most catless UP/DP's come with either a mechanical CEL fix or wire-splice CEL fix kit. (Get the mechanical fix so you dont have to cut wires) Both of which get rid of that PIA CEL, aka you pass OBDII, aka you pass emissions.

BobErT-
06-16-2005, 11:37 PM
www.PrecisionTuning.com <<< Great work ;) I cant wait intill i get my turbo kit ;)

Chair-Force
06-17-2005, 12:31 AM
Question:
Heres a fictional situation( :wiggle: ), say a guy wants to have Precision Tuning install a catless UP/DP on his PA registered WRX.
Would they install it even if that WRX owner's home county consider catless pipes illegal?

?? :wiggle: ??

TehWagon
06-17-2005, 08:06 AM
Yes they will. They have a disclaimer on their site that protects them. :thumbup:

MuddyREX
06-17-2005, 09:57 AM

PA uses the OBDII for cars from 1995 and up. In a nutshell, the shop's inspection computer looks for CEL's (check engine light) on your ECU.
Most catless UP/DP's come with either a mechanical CEL fix or wire-splice CEL fix kit. (Get the mechanical fix so you dont have to cut wires) Both of which get rid of that PIA CEL, aka you pass OBDII, aka you pass emissions.

As long as they don't do a visual inspection and see no cats. No cats = no pass.

TROLL
06-17-2005, 10:00 AM
for what its worth... PA only does OBD2 testing now, which means that i passed fully catless, i just had the correct resistors installed where they needed to be so all of my sensors read ready. i'm not sure if they are supposed to do a visual or not, but my mechanic didnt. i know that they definitely do not use a sniffer anymore...
bryan

TehWagon
06-17-2005, 10:00 AM
which up. is it that looks stock- is it the the perrin? that would be good for visual insp.

TROLL
06-17-2005, 10:04 AM
well the sti uppipe looks REAL good for the visual :-D. but i wouldnt worry about the uppipe visual, i'd worry about your entire exhaust from turbo back only having a single resonator (or whatever few things it has)... thats a little suspicious.
they wouldnt even know to look in the uppipe in the first place i bet.
bryan

MuddyREX
06-17-2005, 10:08 AM
I don't think that a visual is a requirement, but I think some guys still do it.

Chair-Force
06-17-2005, 12:45 PM
I don't think that a visual is a requirement, but I think some guys still do it.

According to my friend, who is a tech at Firestone, visual inspection is still required.
Troll, the sniffer is only used on cars 94 or below.

pswrx
06-17-2005, 09:54 PM
TROLL
your the man that is just what i wanted to hear. you should get your guy some extra work and e mail everyone where you get your inspeciton done so we can go too.

TROLL
06-18-2005, 12:37 AM
ha he didnt do anything extra... i didnt believe him that i legitimately passed so i made him show me the printout and i really did... its all in a standardized computer and he told me he wouldnt be able to get around it even if he wanted to.... i guess i was just lucky?
it seems like some pepole pass with the resistors wired in and some dont... i really dont have a concrete answer for you. if you want to go to my guy then i'd be happy to recommend you but i cant guarantee that you'll pass.
bryan

pswrx
06-27-2005, 02:36 AM
should i get a cobb or utec before i do the mods.

and for any one that has cobb or utec, can you set the computer back so that the dealer has no idea that it was run????

it is my daily driver and i am trying to keep the SOA man from keeping me down!!!

TehWagon
06-27-2005, 08:15 AM
you may want to do some research on nasioc or clubwrx.net before you make the decision- there are different schools of thought to both types of em... not that i'm an expert, but my understanding of what it comes down to is that cobb is an easier system- plug and play- but doesn't allow for too much flexibility as far as what mods you go with (i.e., it doesn't take into account things like intake) or you could get the tuner for the cobb, but there are less people in the area that know how to tune it if you don't want to do it yourself, and at that point, you might as well just get a utec. i just did, and i'm psyched. :supz: hope this helps...

pswrx
06-27-2005, 11:32 AM
are you going to tune it yourself?

will the dealer ever know it was installed if you need warranty work?

TehWagon
06-27-2005, 11:36 AM
only VERY basic stuff i'm doing myself, with the help of people who know the utec well- i'm going to get it professionally tuned at chadblock racing development- which i would recommend if you're new to the utec for fine-tuning-
maybe some of the more knowledgable people would know the answer to whether a dealer could tell, but i would think that as soon as you take the utec off of the ecu, the car wouldn't know it had been run via the utec-