PDA

View Full Version : good dsm mechanics!

brock
06-13-2005, 02:46 PM
does anyone know of any good mecanhics that work on dsm's non stop??

97TSi
06-13-2005, 02:47 PM
me and my buddy work on ours practically non stop.
What do you need done? We've pretty much done it all.

TalonTsi97
06-13-2005, 03:06 PM
check out philadelphiadsm.com
There are a few dsm shops on there that are local that do work. Check there to depending if you need somethign really big done

tort9320g
06-13-2005, 04:54 PM
does anyone know of any good mecanhics that work on dsm's non stop??

Lots of reputable people on the philly board.

04 Turbo Spec
06-13-2005, 06:22 PM
y does everyone love DSM's around here if they constantly break

GSXDCY
06-13-2005, 06:54 PM

cheap to buy, and easy to make fast and not to hard to repair

SexyDSM95
06-13-2005, 07:34 PM
What's funny is that you probably have spent more turbocharging your car then some of the DSM community have spent for the car and upgrades. What's my point? The DSM is most likely faster.

Check out JNZTuning, Josh is an awesome and reputable guy. Local too

Twin_Cam
06-13-2005, 07:54 PM

The way I look at it is a car is either fast or reliable. In an ideal world, it would be both. But no such luck. So you can have a reliable, slow car, or a car like a DSM which is wicked fast for not a lot of cash, but isn't too reliable. Then you have Saturns, which are neither fast nor reliable :thumbdow:

SexyDSM95
06-13-2005, 08:28 PM
The way I look at it is a car is either fast or reliable. In an ideal world, it would be both. But no such luck. So you can have a reliable, slow car, or a car like a DSM which is wicked fast for not a lot of cash, but isn't too reliable. Then you have Saturns, which are neither fast nor reliable :thumbdow:
It's more of:
fast, cheap, reliable

Pick two...

You have to pay to play and that's really for any car.

99SL2_Modder
06-13-2005, 08:29 PM

nor cheap, as we've seen in the parts department.

97TSi
06-14-2005, 08:39 AM
I don't subscribe to any brand labeling. Like Ford = Fixed Or Repaired Daily. Or the theory that DSMs suck. If you build them properly, tune it properly, and know what you're doing then you shouldn't have any major problems. My TSi has not given me one headache that I didn't ask for. Only major problem was overheating, which I'm now 99% sure was due to a slightly warped head. And I definitely don't baby her. She's seen ~25k miles of anywhere from 17-25lbs of boost (~280whp-330whp guesstimates). Trust me, I go WOT daily :mrgreen:
And it's so nice having a car w/stock FI. After working on a couple N/A turbo'd cars it's just nice to have something from the factory. Sooo many less problems to deal with.

G1GSX
06-18-2005, 09:09 AM
there is always someone who gets beat by the dsm's that cries that they break so much my car is proof they are reliable 248,000 miles at 16psi for the last 2 1/2 years and i beat the balls off it daily and never a major problem in the last 2 years i replaced an alt and yes the motor wasnt rebuilt and the head is stock and still damn near perfect compression ;-)

olmytsi
06-18-2005, 11:07 AM
Im sorry but dsms dont constantly break like ppl claim. They break because ppl think they are race cars and beat the **** out of them non stop.
If you drive with your head and not your foot, you will be fine. Also how many stock 4 bangers you know can take 28psi on a stock motor? Not that ser motor of yours :finga: :mrgreen:

G1GSX
06-18-2005, 11:10 AM
now now tsi im sure his motor could take 28psi for about 3 seconds :prayer: he probably runs about 8psi and the motor is probably slowly dieing as it is

2point4DSM
06-20-2005, 08:48 AM
If you build them properly, tune it properly, and know what you're doing then you shouldn't have any major problems.

That is only half true. Take a 15 sec car and run 12's with it everyday and your bound to have problems, too. Only people that can say they never had a problem are the ones still running 15's, lol.

Also keep in my mind that DSMs have been around for over 15 years now. And any car that old is bound to need plenty of part. I use to have a nicely driven 90 Honda Civic that was going through parts all the time past its 5th birthday.

Biggest difference btw that car and a DSM is the Honda had ~1k nuts, bolts, parts, pieces under the hood while a DSM has ~10k nuts, bolts, parts, pieces. Or simply put, a DSM is 10x more complicated.

Wil

97TSi
06-20-2005, 09:27 AM
Take a 15 sec car and run 12's with it everyday and your bound to have problems, too.

I know a ton of people running 12s all the time and still driving the car everyday to work. I mean, you'll always encounter some problems (in any car), but if you do everything correctly and use your head the severity of those problems shouldn't be anything major.

MuddyREX
06-20-2005, 09:33 AM
They break because ppl think they are race cars and beat the *no cursing!* out of them non stop.

*ding ding ding* Don't expect something to last forever when you whip the hell out of it on a daily basis.

04 Turbo Spec
06-20-2005, 10:43 AM
Im sorry but dsms dont constantly break like ppl claim. They break because ppl think they are race cars and beat the *no cursing!* out of them non stop.
If you drive with your head and not your foot, you will be fine. Also how many stock 4 bangers you know can take 28psi on a stock motor? Not that ser motor of yours :finga: :mrgreen:

i wasn't trying to bust on the DSM or anything i was just wondering because everyonge always says there dsm is broken or just got it fixed
but what ever

2point4DSM
06-20-2005, 11:02 AM
I know a ton of people running 12s all the time and still driving the car everyday to work.

What I meant is running 12s everyday to work, lol. I was not talking about the 13sec car that runs 12's on 27 psi and race gas, 1-2 times at the track. :mrgreen:

When I was running high 12s I use to beat the piss out of my DSM since it had ~1000 miles on the odo and it still made it to almost 200k with the orig. stock motor and tranny. Tranny and bottom end were never ever touched, btw.

I didn't start having troubles with blowing headgaskets and killing center diffs till I was in the mid 12s. My DSMs just weren't meant to be highway terrors I suppose. And sticky tires on a stock center diff is never a good idea.

Wil

2point4DSM
06-20-2005, 11:41 AM
If you ever watch F1, WRC, Nascar, NHRA/IHRA or any kind of motorsports racing you will realize that things break even on cars that cost millions and with teams and manufacturers spending countless hours building and tuning them.

And generally speaking the faster they are the faster they break... ie., F1 vs NHRA.

For me DSMs offer a balance of power, reliability and affordability that I like and can handle. I suppose I could get a Supra to run fast and maybe a bit more reliably but then it wouldn't be affordable for me. Or I could get an old Mustang with nitrous so it would be fast and affordable but it wouldn't be reliable.

So just like what SexyDSM95 said:

[Any car can be] fast, cheap, reliable

Pick two...

But I also had to have AWD.

97TSi
06-20-2005, 11:53 AM
I'm FWD so at least I have less **** that can go wrong :mrgreen:

04 Turbo Spec
06-20-2005, 03:14 PM
If you ever watch F1, WRC, Nascar, NHRA/IHRA or any kind of motorsports racing you will realize that things break even on cars that cost millions and with teams and manufacturers spending countless hours building and tuning them.

And generally speaking the faster they are the faster they break... ie., F1 vs NHRA.

For me DSMs offer a balance of power, reliability and affordability that I like and can handle. I suppose I could get a Supra to run fast and maybe a bit more reliably but then it wouldn't be affordable for me. Or I could get an old Mustang with nitrous so it would be fast and affordable but it wouldn't be reliable.

So just like what SexyDSM95 said:

[Any car can be] fast, cheap, reliable

Pick two...

But I also had to have AWD.

oh i know all about the whole racing and breaking things on a race car because my dad races a race viper in the VRL and me and my bros are the pitt crew. but ur not driving a race car your driving a street car

2point4DSM
06-20-2005, 03:59 PM
but ur not driving a race car your driving a stree car

Haha, someone should have told you that before you bought your turbo kit.

Wil
:wiggle:

04 Turbo Spec
06-20-2005, 05:07 PM
my bro is turning his car to a race wrx and i am doing the same with my car so my car, eventually will be a race car untill then the car will be seeing a lot of track time as a weekend warior all over the country

so its on it way to being a race car

yugotdonkey
06-20-2005, 09:38 PM
Try World motorsports up near reading PA, DSMotorsport in NJ, and Xotic motorsports in cochranville, pa (AWD Dyno too). There's also bound to be the occasional hardcore dsmer with like 5 shells/parts cars parked next to the garage. I know a few ppl that fall into this category.

Also, most dsms that break down are old and or neglected and beat on until they bust. Mine treats me well most of the time, mostly because I treat it well. My car has about 180k on it, and compression was 155 155 152 155 when I last checked. I think you just have to be meticulous or at least on the ball with your maintenance. Change fluids, filters, plugs wires, etc and when you find problems arise, find out what needs to be fixed and fix it. Don't do anything half ass either. That's pretty much all there is to it.