PDA

View Full Version : SRT-4 getting the axe?

MuddyREX
06-13-2005, 10:08 AM
I have been hearing rumors that the neon is going to be axed by Dodge. They are replacing it with a small SUV called the Caliber. This will include the SRT.

WTF is Dodge thinking? They have basically owned the sub 20K performance market for the last few years. I know that overall the base Neon was not a stellar performer, but to abandon your entry level car in favor of an SUV boggles my mind.

One good thing. No more "Eons and eons of Neons" commercials!!!

SilverTurboRidin
06-13-2005, 10:14 AM
SRT line of the neon was ending soon anyhow... so that could be another reason.

PSI Chick
06-13-2005, 10:21 AM
the neon platform was slated to go before the srt-4 even came out. it is being replaced with the calier, which is this nasty looking suv thing. there will be a srt version of it, but probably not until 2007/8

S4toSTI
06-13-2005, 11:28 AM
personally i think they should get rid of the neon make a new rwd chassis and make that the srt-4 and keep it under 25k... but hey what do i know i have never owned a american car. :lol:

TalonTsi97
06-13-2005, 11:42 AM
Everyone kinda knew that this was going to happen in 2006, i think. It ssupposed to get replaced by the caliber suv, which i cant stand looking at. I wish dodge would remake the car as RWD to take it back to a little old school american muscle type of car. Give it the same engine with a little little bit more bower, maybe have stage 2 stock or even 3, change the wheels and a some change of the body. Sell it for around 25 grand and it would be really good.

S4toSTI
06-13-2005, 12:10 PM
Wow i think someone said that right above you oh wait it was me lol just messin with you.

smoger
06-13-2005, 01:18 PM
everyone keeps saying the caliber is an suv.. but i think it is more of a matrix type vehicle... it is small!

http://www.autoweek.com/files/weekart/2005/0613/dodgecaliber_main.jpg

http://www.autoweek.nl/images/480/9291.jpg

http://www.autoweek.nl/images/480/9292.jpg

http://www.autoweek.nl/images/480/9295.jpg

as for RWD,.. there was once talk of the Dodge Razor, a small rwd roadster with the same engine as the srt-4,.. well according to this the idea may be back, although it will not contain the 2.4l turbo from the current srt-4

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-10/57295/neonreplacement.jpg

TehWagon
06-13-2005, 01:40 PM
wait wait wait--- i've always been emphatically told that an srt-4 is NOT a neon... :screwy:
either way, sorry to see it go...

SilverTurboRidin
06-13-2005, 02:08 PM
wait wait wait--- i've always been emphatically told that an srt-4 is NOT a neon... :screwy:

technically it is. but it isnt. like neon parts can sorta kinda be mocked to fit a srt even though the bodys are a little different. like the dealer had our window tagged Dodge Neon SRT-4

kinda weird but none the less. there is NOTHING that says neon on it. just "SRT-4"

But everyone knows they need a car to base stuff off of.

In the first picture of the article written in german the orange pic reminds me of a crossfire

smoger
06-13-2005, 02:12 PM

technically it is. but it isnt. like neon parts can sorta kinda be mocked to fit a srt even though the bodys are a little different. like the dealer had our window tagged Dodge Neon SRT-4

kinda weird but none the less. there is NOTHING that says neon on it. just "SRT-4"

In the first picture of the article written in german the orange pic reminds me of a crossfire

it is a neon. the body is not different at all, with the exception of the bodykit they slap on. everything else is the same.

2005 window stickers say neon right on it. true dodge did try to keep the srt-4 away from the neon moniker, but only to appease those who wouldnt drive it just because "its a neon"

just like evos are "just lancers" and sti's are "just imprezas" ;)

SilverTurboRidin
06-13-2005, 02:15 PM

it is a neon. the body is not different at all, with the exception of the bodykit they slap on. everything else is the same.

2005 window stickers say neon right on it. true dodge did try to keep the srt-4 away from the neon moniker, but only to appease those who wouldnt drive it just because "its a neon"

just like evos are "just lancers" and sti's are "just imprezas" ;)

YUP YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD!!!

Most people wouldn't even look at the srt just because "its still a neon" lol

Whats sad is, these are the people now buying scion's and are being murdered by our little "neons" muahahahh

TehWagon
06-13-2005, 02:16 PM
touche' :rolleyes:

smoger
06-13-2005, 02:42 PM
i think the funniest thing is back in high school my first friend to get a car got a red 1st gen neon, brand new..

we made fun of him so much for

A. driving a neon

B. driving a red car(being that he bought it new and had a choice)

now almost a decade later i drive 2 neons, one of which is red, lol

9 Ball
06-13-2005, 04:43 PM
Dodge is gonna lose a lot of sports car buyers. I can see this new car selling pretty well, however, I’m not sure about scrapping a very good sport compact. What the hell… it’s a good little hot rod… why get rid of it? I couldn’t see myself going from an SRT-4 to the Caliber.

Anybody know what kind of power it’s gonna make? What engine?

TalonTsi97
06-13-2005, 05:02 PM
I like the idea of the razor but im not the biggest fan of the body. I just wish they would make somethign liek that

Buster
06-14-2005, 12:22 AM
i think its still going to be the same platform that the neon/pt share. it really looks like a boxed out pt to me. Im just speculating though.

smoger
06-14-2005, 09:48 AM
i think its still going to be the same platform that the neon/pt share. it really looks like a boxed out pt to me. Im just speculating though.

thats very likely.

the new PT Cruiser is being unveiled this thursday along with a mystery vehicle, which is probably the Caliber..