PDA

View Full Version : thanks again apple :(

smoger
02-05-2007, 03:56 PM
well i got sick of having no wireless connectivity on my macbook so i set out to find out if anyone was able to fix the issue. i found that downgrading the kernal extension for the wireless card is listed as a fix(scratch that, workaround) to the problem.

apparantly it can also cause your computer to not boot at all.

thanks again apple. 3 months since this widespread problem popped up and still no fix. i really see why your stuff is worth 2x the cost of pc's :screwy:

james_ls
02-05-2007, 03:58 PM
What was the issue...what did you do...and what happened?

I'm still fairly MAC savvy.

smoger
02-05-2007, 04:01 PM
trust me i know all about macs, and i already recovered from not being able to boot. im just pissed because this now 5 month old computer has not been able to connect wirelessly for the past 3 months due to a "security update"(combined with OSX10.4.8 Intel) .

i guess it IS secure if it can't connect to anything. they got me there.

Broken5hift
02-05-2007, 04:04 PM
i guess it IS secure if it can't connect to anything. they got me there.

LMFAO. are you trying to connect to an apple iport?

smoger
02-05-2007, 04:11 PM
cant connect to ANY wireless. sometimes i can get a dialup speed connection for a couple minutes before it drops, nothing more.

in fact it only sees the available networks for a matter of about 20 seconds when airport is first turned on, then they become invisible to the computer. my best chance at getting a connection is a fresh reboot when i want to connect.. but it still almost never works.

grimm
02-05-2007, 04:13 PM
should have figured once mac went windows it's internet security would crap out. None the less that is the one bonus to PC's. it may have frequent problems, but nothing a restore point can't fix ;) haha..
sorry man.

Broken5hift
02-05-2007, 04:18 PM
my dad had this same issue not too long ago, he was trying to connect wirelessly through the apple airport and either he would be dropped immediately or he couldnt find any signal. i'll ask him how he solved the issue, might help you figure out what to do?

smoger
02-05-2007, 04:35 PM
well this is weird.. i reverted back to the original faulty .kext, and instantly got a connection to a wireless network somewhere in this building when i rebooted(albeit only 2 bars).

im starting to think that it may simply be that the security update borks the permissions of the kext just enough that it doesnt function right, but not bad enough to prevent the system from booting.

i'll see what happens when i get home and try to hop onto my network.

will post updates because i know this is a common problem

grimm: this has nothing to do with windows whatsoever.. why even bring it up? its simply a poorly programmed security fix that apple released a few months ago. don't drag microsoft into it if you don't know what you're talking about

Ender81
02-05-2007, 05:28 PM
I'm convinced your just jinxed, my gf goes to Kutztown and between her and her friends I know about 30 people with macs and none of them have the issues you do. I think they just don't like you lol (as for twice the price of a pc maybe you mean a homemade one because I was pricing a similar performing Dell the otehr day and it was 500 more).

PotenzaSub
02-05-2007, 06:00 PM
What was the issue...what did you do...and what happened?

I'm still fairly MAC savvy.

The issue is that he got a Mac. PWNED!

Macs suck. Don't be stupid. Run Windows!

LS2GTO
02-05-2007, 06:20 PM
I refuse to use a mac...have never owned one and never will. You wonder why software is so much more money for them (and a lot less pirating), is because it is a lot tougher to write the programs. Adobe ports their stuff easily but I don't find it that simple.

Kerplunk105
02-05-2007, 06:42 PM
I have a mac and have never had a single problem.

I am curious though which mac you have? I am getting ready to buy another one and dont wanna get that one....lol

smoger
02-05-2007, 07:53 PM
I'm convinced your just jinxed, my gf goes to Kutztown and between her and her friends I know about 30 people with macs and none of them have the issues you do. I think they just don't like you lol (as for twice the price of a pc maybe you mean a homemade one because I was pricing a similar performing Dell the otehr day and it was 500 more).

my whole office is macs, and currently we have 42 eMacs.. 37 of which include a faulty capacitor that will eventually need to be replaced on each and every one. i don't think it's just me.

as for the dell/apple price comparison,.. which apple were you comparing to? i find it hard to believe a dell would be 500 more unless it was significantly overpowered compared to the apple.

smoger
02-05-2007, 07:54 PM
I have a mac and have never had a single problem.

I am curious though which mac you have? I am getting ready to buy another one and dont wanna get that one....lol

macbook.

check out appledefects.com . they do a pretty good job of documenting known problems.

smoger
02-05-2007, 07:55 PM
The issue is that he got a Mac. PWNED!

Macs suck. Don't be stupid. Run Windows!

my boss bought this one so i didnt have a choice. i would never spend a dollar on a mac

S4toSTI
02-05-2007, 07:59 PM
Only you have problems lolol.

smoger
02-05-2007, 10:02 PM
well its apparantly working now.

this is the apparant fix http://www.sas.upenn.edu/computing/wireless/macbookpro_help.html

although i dont think you even need to swap the file,.. just skip to the terminal entry to update the ownership of the file

Danronian
02-05-2007, 10:05 PM
Wow, a mac related thread...not that it's much related but...

I have this iBook g3 w/ OS 10.1.2.8 on it, and I tried upgrading to the newest via a disc for a macbook, but it wouldnt do it. Does anyone have a "cheap" upgrade disc locally for me so I might be able to get a usb wireless network adapter for my laptop (b/c 10.1 doesn't support them). Thanks in advance. PM me if you've got a little help for me.

dickerdieter
02-05-2007, 10:44 PM
mac laptops are trash nufsaid, of the 18 people i kno with mac laptops only 2 havent had problems, yet every person with another brand (prodominantly dells) which is about 50 if not more, including me,only 2 have had problems, my roommate dropped mine from about 5 feet only a tile floor, only broke off the corner and a few dead pixles, he also bought one of those $1700 imac desktop things, sure it looks trendy and sleek but the design is horrible, no fans or anything just a little slit on the top for ventalation, im guessing he will be having problems in no time, as compared to my $200 emachine that i got 3 years ago with almost the same computing power and i havent had a single problem yet

Ender81
02-06-2007, 11:17 AM
my whole office is macs

Enough said. As for the dell I was pricing quad core to quad core.

smoger
02-06-2007, 11:26 AM
Wow, a mac related thread...not that it's much related but...

I have this iBook g3 w/ OS 10.1.2.8 on it, and I tried upgrading to the newest via a disc for a macbook, but it wouldnt do it. Does anyone have a "cheap" upgrade disc locally for me so I might be able to get a usb wireless network adapter for my laptop (b/c 10.1 doesn't support them). Thanks in advance. PM me if you've got a little help for me.

can you make it out to northeast philly? pm me.

smoger
02-06-2007, 11:36 AM
Enough said. As for the dell I was pricing quad core to quad core.

i got $2499 for the mac vs. $2689 for the dell.

BUT.. its hard to compare because the apple as far as i can tell only offers 2 seperate dual cores, whereas the dell has a single quad core, which of course is going to be more expensive.

smoger
02-22-2007, 02:37 AM
go check out todays woot first off..

i was curious what an apple of similiar specs would cost, so i shoot over to apples website.. OOPS.. a *base* macbook pro is already 400 bucks more than this MONSTER of a machine.

thats not to say this thing even makes sense.. 20" laptop? what's the point?

oh,.. and you can use a microphone on this one :lol:

whitezenki
02-22-2007, 02:44 AM
haha, i saw todays woot and did almost the same thing... that computer is pretty damned nice

TROLL
02-22-2007, 02:44 AM
combined with one of your few other apple threads... might as well keep it all in one place.

Ender81
02-22-2007, 04:22 AM
i got $2499 for the mac vs. $2689 for the dell.

BUT.. its hard to compare because the apple as far as i can tell only offers 2 seperate dual cores, whereas the dell has a single quad core, which of course is going to be more expensive.

Two cores on seperate chips but also two processors, dude give it up no matter what anyone says you will feel you are right. It comes from being stuck working on cheap macs all day long. I get it, I spend all day stuck with cheap a*s dell laptops. But we really don't need to hear from you how some of our computers are crap everytime a mic doesn't work, or the wireless isn't right. I run a pc with Windows ME if I posted up complaining everytime there was an issue (irony is it froze again while typing this)....lol.

The 20" that isn't the Acer is it? Stay away and not because it isn't a mac but more because I've been hearing a lot of negative about their laptops.

smoger
02-22-2007, 09:33 AM
Two cores on seperate chips but also two processors

all im saying is that quad core processors are newer and therefore obviously will cost more than 2 dual cores.

kinda like how its so much cheaper to buy 2 half-gig sticks of ram than it is to buy a single 1-gig stick

Ender81
02-22-2007, 07:07 PM
all im saying is that quad core processors are newer and therefore obviously will cost more than 2 dual cores.

kinda like how its so much cheaper to buy 2 half-gig sticks of ram than it is to buy a single 1-gig stick

I know what you were saying, I'm saying that you're getting two processors in addition to the four cores. As soon as the Quads are available besides that "Extreme Edition" they should drop in price pretty quick.

smoger
02-22-2007, 07:16 PM
I know what you were saying, I'm saying that you're getting two processors in addition to the four cores. As soon as the Quads are available besides that "Extreme Edition" they should drop in price pretty quick.

yeah, definitely.

i just read speculation the other day that now that dell is using intel AND amd they are playing them off one another to incite further price drops.. which i like to hear.

so back on the mac related topic.. i was at the apple store again today picking up 4 more warranty cases and saw that theres a 24" imac now.. i have to admit, that goddam that thing was beautiful, and the price wasnt TERRIBLE.

BUT once again, lack of upgradeabilty is a deal killer for me. i probably would have bought it and just ran Vista on it 90% of the time(i actually AM in the market for something bigger and better right now).. but without being able to upgrade the gaming hardware... pass...

Ender81
02-23-2007, 12:19 AM
I talked a friend out of getting an imac because you can't upgrade them (she's doing a lot of art and ad work on hers so we found her a barely used G5) but for my mother it is really tempting to get an imac because all she does is go online and check e-mail. I'm a huge fan of the macpro's and the G5's but the imacs just don't do it for me. Although if any of them were going to tempt me it would the 24 wow is that hot lol.

smoger
02-23-2007, 12:32 AM
I talked a friend out of getting an imac because you can't upgrade them (she's doing a lot of art and ad work on hers so we found her a barely used G5) but for my mother it is really tempting to get an imac because all she does is go online and check e-mail. I'm a huge fan of the macpro's and the G5's but the imacs just don't do it for me. Although if any of them were going to tempt me it would the 24 wow is that hot lol.

yeah i think the imacs are nice for what they are.. basic internet/email machines. for people with money to burn and who dont want to think about it.. its a no brainer