PDA

View Full Version : Who is REALLY good at photoshop? Teach me. I'll pay you.

TROLL
02-02-2007, 05:07 AM
When I got into photography it was because it was 75% in camera and 25% in the darkroom. I don't mean the digital darkroom kiddies, I mean a literally dark room... chemicals, running water, enlargers... the good old days. That was also when a $800 F100 body was a dream for a lot of us, would have never needed to be upgraded, and was considered expensive... bahaha.
Obviously I have been duped, because now it is 50% in camera and 50% in front of a computer in Photoshop. I'm buying a new $2000+ camera, memory cards, memory, etc. every 2 years. This is not what I signed up for... I want a refund.

But on to the point at hand... I am looking for a Photoshop guru... someone who is seriously confident in their photo editing skills. Or if you know of an advanced photoshop class thats cool too. I'm not looking to create something out of nothing, I just want to be able to edit my photographs on a computer as confidently as I capture them in my camera. I am by no means a Photoshop noob, but I'd really like to be a Photoshop pro and its just not happening solo.

If you or anyone you know has the skills to pay the bills, shout me a holler. Or if you know of a class that might be perfect for me, I'll be your BFF. I am willing to pay for a worthwhile education, but please don't waste my time.

Don't make me beg.

Ender81
02-02-2007, 07:01 AM
I could reccomend someone but you don't want to drive out to Allentown for that.

CHAOS
02-02-2007, 07:59 AM
levon is pretty good bryan... talk to him

BradC
02-02-2007, 08:36 AM
A pro photographer I know holds a Photoshop class every now and again. Next time he has one I can give you a heads up.

Broken5hift
02-02-2007, 09:33 AM
i have been doing it since 2001, dunno how i can help though? if you ever have questions on how to do something you can always feel free to PM me or shoot me an email. as far as classes go alot of places hold them now and then for beginners to pro. i will try and find an upcomming class somewhere, if i do i will shoot it to you. also, you can get an online degree, but more importantly, the programs and full tutorials through Bucks county community college or penn foster online (penn foster actually sends you the programs to use and keep).

grimm
02-02-2007, 09:56 AM
Troll, I've found it best to go and pick up a book and go to town with it. I've learned 95% of the software i use that way. IMHO paying for a class will be a waste of money, I went to a community college to take a class in flash and web design and I ended up knowing more then the teacher did. I walked away pretty un happy. I wasted like 4-6weeks, $400 and I didn't gain any better understanding of the software. I know photoshop pretty darn well. But I can't say I'm a pro. But like many other trades knowing the basics makes it easier to know the modern equivelent. I'm not sure what type of editing you want to do? are you looking to morp or join pics or just edit them making them cleaner or adjusting colors and levels and such?

Broken5hift
02-02-2007, 10:07 AM
Troll, I've found it best to go and pick up a book and go to town with it. I've learned 95% of the software i use that way. IMHO paying for a class will be a waste of money, I went to a community college to take a class in flash and web design and I ended up knowing more then the teacher did. I walked away pretty un happy. I wasted like 4-6weeks, $400 and I didn't gain any better understanding of the software. I know photoshop pretty darn well. But I can't say I'm a pro. But like many other trades knowing the basics makes it easier to know the modern equivelent. I'm not sure what type of editing you want to do? are you looking to morp or join pics or just edit them making them cleaner or adjusting colors and levels and such?

choosing the right class could still be beneficial. i agree that some community college classes may be easy or low key but there are also advanced classes offered that really are a huge help and at times very hard

btw, i agree that grabbing a photoshop book would be a big help, also you can search google for how-to videos on photoshop.

i just lost all my bookmarks (figures) but there are a ton of photoshop forums where you can ask question and see how other members created their artwork. youtube also has alot of vids.

Broken5hift
02-02-2007, 10:16 AM
heres one of the sites

http://www.digimods.co.uk/tutorials/tutorials.htm

CleanNeon98
02-02-2007, 11:44 AM
contact ikozhukhin hes good

Renegade_
02-02-2007, 11:57 AM
There are many, many people out there which are rediculous at photoshop, but there are very, very few who can use photoshop with eloquence. A LOT of what I learned was to just sign up on forums and whenever someone post up a picture just ask them what they used to change it from the original and play around with it for a few days.

I lot of the time you can just find some good tutorials all over the web.

http://www.pixel2life.com/search/4/photography/1/
http://www.pixel2life.com/search/4/color%20balance/1/

It is just repetition really. Photoshop in my opinion isn't as much knowing right away off the top of your head what you will do and how you will do it, it is knowing what you want to do and knowing how and where to get the resources for it. There are so many things you can do in photoshop it would be absurd for someone to memorize every single thing.

Broken5hift
02-02-2007, 11:59 AM
It is just repetition really. Photoshop in my opinion isn't as much knowing right away off the top of your head what you will do and how you will do it, it is knowing what you want to do and knowing how and where to get the resources for it. There are so many things you can do in photoshop it would be absurd for someone to memorize every single thing.

well said

grimm
02-02-2007, 01:03 PM
I agree with renegade. I'm sure you know 80% of the tools and how to use them. Like that one video of that photohop makeover. it really isn't hard to do, just time consuming making good selsctions, finding the correct colors and using layers. Nothing that was done in that movie was a complicated process, just lots of repetition time and a good eye.

Broken shift, I agree there are probably better classes, But I still feel that a book is the best bang for the buck. But it also depends on the availability of the indivdual. and how they learn best. that's just my $.02 not trying to argue as I do agree that I'm sure there are certain classes that would be very beneficial.

ikozhukhin
02-02-2007, 01:23 PM
Its really hard to teach something when someone comes up to you and says teach me everything you know on a general topic like photoshop. I think instead of spending all that money on books and classes just use the knowledge you have already and start messing with pictures, when you come to a problem ask on here and a lot of people here would help you.

james_ls
02-02-2007, 01:27 PM
Bryan I can help you.

I don't do a lot of the "something out of nothing" instances...but more the "professional" aspects.

Multi-Frame pictures...airbrushing...color matching...etc.