PDA

View Full Version : o2 sensor question

drew
01-09-2007, 07:05 PM
I installed my headers and am throwing a code. I man handled my sensors ( got oil from my hand and probably grease all over all of them ) and wasn't sure which one went were. is there any way I could be doing damage to my engine because of improper o2 sensor placement? obviously noone here can tell me what the problem is without knowing what code i am showing, but i just want to know if i could be damaging my car until i get the code pulled and see what's going on with them

teh DIRT
01-09-2007, 07:24 PM
heres the possibilites:

1. your code is from you being harsh to your sensors. They are reading incorrectly or not at all, your ecu doesnt like either ways.

2. You placed one where the other should go. Some cars have the front o2 as a semi-wideband. Putting the narrowband where the wideband wants to be will also make your ecu unhappy.

3. (what i think is the case). Your headers are causing a catalytic convertor deficiency code. Aftermarket headers tend to disipate heat much quicker than stock headers. This heat escapes through the thinner pipes and what not inturn not allowing your catalytic convertor to heat to its proper operating temperature. This causes bad gases to pass through it. Once the rear o2 sees those bad gases your check engine light goes on.

edit: forgot the rest. As for damage, it is unlikely that you will damage your engine due to this. But it is probable that your car will be slower and your mileage will suck because your ecu might go into a limp mode.

drew
01-09-2007, 07:40 PM
thanks a lot for the info. i will stop at autozone after work and get the code read

drew
01-10-2007, 05:44 PM
okay i am throwing 4 codes

P0160 Heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) 2, bank 2 – no acitivty detected Wiring, HO2S, ECM Oxygen sensor (O2S) 2, bank 2 – no activity detected Wiring, O2S, ECM

P0140 Heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) 2, bank 1 – no acitivty detected Wiring, heating inoperative, HO2S, ECM Oxygen sensor (O2S) 2, bank 1 – no activity detected Wiring, O2S, ECM

P0140 Heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) 2, bank 1 – no acitivty detected Wiring, heating inoperative, HO2S, ECM Oxygen sensor (O2S) 2, bank 1 – no activity detected Wiring, O2S, ECM

P0036 Heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) 2, bank 1, heater control – circuit malfunction Wiring, HO2S, ECM

any ideas wtf ?

drew
01-11-2007, 04:30 PM
anyone?