PDA

View Full Version : MAZDASPEED TUNERS, HELP ME!!

crashkelly
06-07-2005, 09:20 PM
hey everybody, I just got a new Perrin short ram intake for my mazdaspeed protege. Im having some minor problems though. Everytime im in 2nd or 3rd and im really getting on the gas there is a choppy stalling type feeling around 3000rpm about the same time the turbo kicks in (no problems on the downshifting though). Anyone have any suggestions what might cause this and how i can fix it? :(

Silverfc88
06-07-2005, 09:24 PM
I'm not a MSP owner but let me see. Have you checked the basics? Vac leaks, all electrical connectors connected, maybe reset the ECU? What have you troubleshooted so far?

Only hesitating when coming on boost?

chrism
06-07-2005, 09:25 PM
could be the MAF sensor as well....check for leaks and see if your maf is dirty

TalonTsi97
06-07-2005, 10:59 PM
Check your spark plugs and wires. Then check all the basic stuff and make you look over everything you did on the install.

capaGC8
06-07-2005, 11:25 PM
not very familiar with the mazda ECU, but if there is a knock sensor - I would assume it's seeing the A/F ratio as being to lean and compensating for it...

does Perrin recommend anything else accompanying their intake? as far as engine management goes anyway...

crashkelly
06-08-2005, 01:32 AM
thanks for the info guys. so far ive doublechecked all my connections, clamps and what-have-yous...but no luck yet. I have noticed that it does seem to only be a problem when the turbo is engaged and also it does shudder a little bit at other times (happened a little around 4000-4500rpm). It may be that it is running too lean...im gonna have my bro take it to work and see if the techs around there can figure it out. itll be sad if i have to take it off though it really made the turbo scream and the BOV lost its turkey gobble. again thanks for the postings, later

kef
06-08-2005, 02:05 AM
Your BOV had a turkey gobble? Cool.

moorefire
06-08-2005, 08:12 PM
bov Turkey Gobble noises=compressor surge=the bov isn't doing its job

that sound is the compressor wheel stalling, the hesitation could be the turbo tryin to re-spool

but, my boy has an intake on his MSP and hes been complaining about off boost hesitation too. I told him to check plugs and o2 sensor since hes running pig rich when his stock bov dumps to aptmosphere.

moorefire
06-08-2005, 08:12 PM
bov Turkey Gobble noises=compressor surge=the bov isn't doing its job

that sound is the compressor wheel stalling, the hesitation could be the turbo tryin to re-spool

but, my boy has an intake on his MSP and hes been complaining about off boost hesitation too. I told him to check plugs and o2 sensor since hes running pig rich when his stock bov dumps to aptmosphere.

03tarmacblack
06-08-2005, 09:10 PM
The intake is making the mas think its getting to much air, and its compensating. Put the stock intake on, get a k&n drop in, and go get some real power mods.

03tarmacblack
06-08-2005, 09:10 PM
The intake is making the mas think its getting to much air, and its compensating. Put the stock intake on, get a k&n drop in, and go get some real power mods.

crashkelly
06-15-2005, 06:01 PM
hey guys, again thanks for the posts...i have been asking around and the consensus seems to be that the ecu is compensating which is causing a stall problem...and also the hesistation...Mazda offers a free pcm flash to correct the problem but it is not recommended for owners who put boost controllers on their car because the flash advances the timing(the boost gauge/MBC are my next two parts going on this weekend)...basically though i wasted my money on a intake and im convinced that if you own a turbo there really is no reason to have an intake anyways since the turbo runs off the exhaust...guess i shouldve done a little more research before going out an buying the part.

mazda6guy
06-15-2005, 10:10 PM
You can benefit from a cold air intake. The colder the air the better it is for more power. Cold is always good for a turbo vehicle. Just my 2 pennies. :mrgreen:

Kicker22705
07-10-2005, 09:35 PM
It might not be your intake. There are some members on the msprotege.com forum who also have stalling issues w/ the Perrin intake. Its malfunction of the intake not the mazda ecu, altho the ecu has it own share of problems, but we won't go there.

drop the Perrin and get yourself a AEM or Injen CAI.