PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!

acinteg98
01-04-2007, 11:40 PM
yo whats up everyone? my names mike and i just got a 98 acura integra. im not to familiar with the car world but i love speed. im looking for some suggestions on what to do with my car. i was thinkin cold air, exauhst, turbo, or maybe a v-tech. i live right outside philly in a town called langhorne so if ur from the area and know of some places where i can get work done to my car...let me know. get back at me with info please...it would be greatly appreciated!!!

acinteg98
01-04-2007, 11:48 PM
http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/showthread.php?p=412791#post412791

BCSpeed
01-05-2007, 01:17 AM
Pm sent! Were about 10 mins from langhorne.

XLR8 GS-R
01-05-2007, 02:05 AM
Hey whats up mike? Glad to hear about your teggie purchase u made a good choice :lol: If you like to go fast i would say the only way to make power youll feel (and win races) is to make that sucker vtec. Before u dump 800$ on an exhaust, headers and intake you can buy a b16 vtec head and some cams and you will be walking all over type-r's all day long.

XLR8 GS-R
01-05-2007, 04:01 PM
I say go all motor rather than turbo. Its cheeper and more reliable. Plus when u beat a turbo motor when ur all motor you get to shuv it in ther face...jk First thing i would do is get an intake. But before u spend money on parts for your ls head- seriously think about goin vtec like u said. believe me ull be glad u did when ur spankn R's

Broken5hift
01-05-2007, 04:07 PM
is this a troll?

RyanG
01-05-2007, 04:21 PM
LS+turbo= good times :)

oh and welcome to TST

IntegrasAreBest
01-05-2007, 04:58 PM
I say go all motor rather than turbo. Its cheeper and more reliable. Plus when u beat a turbo motor when ur all motor you get to shuv it in ther face...jk First thing i would do is get an intake. But before u spend money on parts for your ls head- seriously think about goin vtec like u said. believe me ull be glad u did when ur spankn R's

going turbo is cheaper than all motor. R's arent much to brag about killing.

highmilehatch
01-05-2007, 06:44 PM
You definitely need one of these:

http://onestopliquidationshop.com/Spl%20Pick%20Up%20Items/Vtech%20VMX.JPG

XLR8 GS-R
01-06-2007, 02:58 AM
lol highmilege
Hey for all motor guys beating type-r motors are the first step in having a fast car but ur right the C5 is waaaay over rated. Slap the vtec head on THEN go turbo

RyanG
01-06-2007, 09:33 AM
u guys got it all wrong :)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/sidewayzrs/VTAK.gif

XLR8 GS-R
01-06-2007, 09:38 PM
BWaahahAHAHahaHA when the VTAK kicked in your forgot to add the sound effects. brrrmmmmmmwaaaaaaah

turbo4g63
01-06-2007, 10:04 PM
you can get your hands on a turbo kit pretty cheap, just make sure you get that sucker tuned, going v tec is a waste, you can get way more torque out of a turbo and you wont have to wait till 6k rpms to have fun plus you have to go through the hassle of swapping heads, and dealing w/ all of the computer BS, just go turbo you won't be dissappointed

IntegrasAreBest
01-07-2007, 12:56 AM
you can get your hands on a turbo kit pretty cheap, just make sure you get that sucker tuned, going v tec is a waste, you can get way more torque out of a turbo and you wont have to wait till 6k rpms to have fun plus you have to go through the hassle of swapping heads, and dealing w/ all of the computer BS, just go turbo you won't be dissappointed

how is vtec a waste? i agree boost is cool but enlighten me how is having vtec a waste?

jdm free
01-07-2007, 02:13 AM

wat does a dsm guy know about vtec?

they do make vtec controllers, n with a turbo u have to wait for it to be spooled up

ej20wrx123
01-07-2007, 02:23 AM
^if hes waiting untill 6k for a turbo to spool he will make lots of power....like over 400whp probably closer to 500

my buddy has a built high comp motor in his hatch w/ lots of mods lke cams, full exhaust, tuned pfc, and he only made iirc 200whp and ran 13.0 on street tires......although he hates driving it cause of gas mileage.
I would just throw a turbo kit on with a good tune and call it a day. All motor is cool if you dont race fast cars and like to spend lots of money.

XLR8 GS-R
01-07-2007, 06:02 PM
Im gonna let the "vtec is a waste" in the Honda forum slide only cause your a dsm guy. ej20- do you happen to know if it was a gsr motor rebuilt? Whats this dudes name/what kinda car was it? What wins races is torque and your LS/vtec is a torque monster with the longer rod stroke than the gsr/type-r. If acinteg put a stock vtec head on his car he would be whipping on type-r motors which are like 3,000$ more to buy. The ls/rs/CRV crankshaft is the Honda tuners secret when building a motor. You can do a vtec head swap for cheeper than goin turbo. I had a turbo GSR boosting 19psi. And i have a all motor (setup is secret :wink: but i am running the stock jdm b20b pistons which have the lowest compression :() and i would much rather have the all motor. More fun/controll to drive, more reliable, better gas mpg, and c'mon its "all motor" hah

ej20wrx123
01-07-2007, 06:09 PM
I'am 90% sure it was a sleeved gsr and 12.1 comp. Hes a real good friend of mine but i'am not real into hondas...iam pretty sure its a earily 90s hatch.

What does it take to make 300whp all motor? Cause i bet the money it takes to do that you could make an extra 50-100hp if you went turbo using the same amount of money

jdm free
01-07-2007, 09:23 PM
goin n/a isnt neccesarily cheaper than turbo, i do think n/a is best but when u r strapped for cash u can easily get a turbo kit for cheap

CHR!S
01-08-2007, 12:06 AM
goin n/a isnt neccesarily cheaper than turbo, i do think n/a is best but when u r strapped for cash u can easily get a turbo kit for cheap

its alot easier and cheaper to get more power out of a b-series with boost over natural aspiration. i have a friend who had a fully built 2.1L dart block, and he only (im using this word lightly) put out 265 whp, thats withover $12k dumped into the motor. for under $3k you can get near 300whp with a turbo kit and a fully stock block.

highmilehatch
01-08-2007, 12:32 AM
its alot easier and cheaper to get more power out of a b-series with boost over natural aspiration. i have a friend who had a fully built 2.1L dart block, and he only (im using this word lightly) put out 265 whp, thats withover $12k dumped into the motor. for under $3k you can get near 300whp with a turbo kit and a fully stock block.

Well said Chris. And is the absolute truth.

RyanG
01-08-2007, 12:45 AM
I agree. We did a D series in an EX with just rods, pistons, Studs and an off the shelf Greddy turbo kit tuned with Neptune it put over 240 down.

highmilehatch
01-08-2007, 01:01 PM
I agree. We did a D series in an EX with just rods, pistons, Studs and an off the shelf Greddy turbo kit tuned with Neptune it put over 240 down.

Yeah, if you were to try to do the same with an N/A setup, it wouldn't be nearly as practical considering having to run such high compression and and probably sacrificing alot of driveability with having to run very aggressive cams. Don't get me wrong, a high powered N/A setup is nice, but the HP per dollar value just isn't there like it is with turbo.

XLR8 GS-R
01-12-2007, 08:33 PM
mr. honda is turning over in his grave. Ok even though I love all motor hondas more than turbo hondas I will agree with you guys. For the dollar to hp ratio going turbo is better for making more power with your $. That 2.1 L dart build that cost 12g's which is ALOT of $ have any more info on your boys build?? But nothing would sound better than a 270hp N/A honda hitting 8k i/m/o

2000MRDC2
01-13-2007, 02:19 AM
u live in langhorne? where around im from langhorne also

CHR!S
01-13-2007, 02:06 PM
mr. honda is turning over in his grave. Ok even though I love all motor hondas more than turbo hondas I will agree with you guys. For the dollar to hp ratio going turbo is better for making more power with your $. That 2.1 L dart build that cost 12g's which is ALOT of $ have any more info on your boys build?? But nothing would sound better than a 270hp N/A honda hitting 8k i/m/o

he sold that car and has a c5 z06, so all i can really remember was...
dart 2.1L block, wiseco 13.5:1 pistons, buddy club5 cams, supertech valvesprings & retainers, rocket oversized valves, 440cc injectors, an-r race header, 2.75" exhaust piping to a 2.25" spoon n1 muffler, twm 44?mm itb's, and i believe that was it. its nearly impossible to have a 270whp n/a honda only be revving out to 8k, this motor was being revved to 10k.

fast, cheap, reliable... you can only choose 2

CleanNeon98
01-16-2007, 04:33 AM
please get your spelling down..its VTEC. while you are saving for the head, you can get an intake, which can net you some gain, and better throttle response..go for a full coil air system not short ram. if you already have the money, then just get the head, intake, header, exhaust, w/e else u wana do. best of luck

DC2_JDM_ITR_KID
01-28-2007, 04:04 PM
LS-V Tec!!! or k swap!! or LS-Turbo!!!!!

na is best!
02-14-2007, 10:53 AM
Im gonna let the "vtec is a waste" in the Honda forum slide only cause your a dsm guy. ej20- do you happen to know if it was a gsr motor rebuilt? Whats this dudes name/what kinda car was it? What wins races is torque and your LS/vtec is a torque monster with the longer rod stroke than the gsr/type-r. If acinteg put a stock vtec head on his car he would be whipping on type-r motors which are like 3,000$ more to buy. The ls/rs/CRV crankshaft is the Honda tuners secret when building a motor. You can do a vtec head swap for cheeper than goin turbo. I had a turbo GSR boosting 19psi. And i have a all motor (setup is secret :wink: but i am running the stock jdm b20b pistons which have the lowest compression :() and i would much rather have the all motor. More fun/controll to drive, more reliable, better gas mpg, and c'mon its "all motor" hah

waddup everyone i am new to this forum and i apoligize that i didnt read all 3 pages of post or whatever it is but I had to reply to this...Yes DSM guy is correct Vtec is a waste! But it depends on what you are building. Most people dont understand what vtec is and that concept. But without getting too much into detail .. if you goal is to build a track monster **** vtec! but for street racing and driving around "life sucks without vtec"

i kno i prolly will get bashed for this statement cuz i am new and cuz people wont understand but i will back up everything i say... holla at me

na is best!
02-15-2007, 12:24 AM
and also ALL MOTOR OWNS TURBO.. all day!!!

IntegrasAreBest
02-15-2007, 12:25 AM

haha :rofl: that was a good one

CHR!S
02-15-2007, 02:14 AM

it all depends on the power curve and what the cars being used for (daily driving/drag racing/road racing)

id rather have a 300whp boosted car for a daily over 300whp n/a, but id take all motor over boost anyday for road racing

highmilehatch
02-16-2007, 09:23 PM
na is best, you really really have no idea what your talking about. I completely understand. Keep doing your research.

na is best!
02-16-2007, 09:33 PM
na is best, you really really have no idea what your talking about. I completely understand. Keep doing your research.

lol....i will keep believing my facts and you keep believing the hype :mrgreen:

highmilehatch
02-16-2007, 09:36 PM
Show me facts showing that a non-vtec cylinder head is superior to a Vtec head.

Evo8kid
02-16-2007, 10:57 PM
i drive a mitsu and i have no business in here, an I even know that a vtec head is superior to a non vtec head. I would listen to Highmilehatch, i thikn he knows what the hell hes talking about

na is best!
02-17-2007, 11:27 AM
Okay let me explain this concept to you

***AGAIN REALIZE I DID SAY FOR STREET " LIFE SUCKS WITHOUT VTEC" BUT FOR A TRACK ONLY CAR VTEC IS PRETTY MUCH POINTLESS***

**AND ALSO I NEVER EVER ONCE SAID A NON-VTEC HEAD WAS SUPERIOR TO A VTEC HEAD AT ALL IN MY STATEMENT!!! RE-READ WHAT I WROTE I SAID VTEC SUCKS FOR TRACK... TO SAY A NON-VTEC IS BETTER IS FOOLISH. A PR3 OR P72 HEAD HAS MUCH BETTER FLOW CHARACTERISTICS AND WHAT NOT...*****

Now what is vtec.. Variable Valve Timing & Lift Electronic Control System.. which i am pretty sure most of you all know.. But don’t really understand... in a nut shell vtec is just what it is variable vale timing. In low rpms you get great gas mileage because you are running on the low speed cams (2 outer lobes) and in high speed, when vtec engages you switch to the high speed cam (middle lobe)... now for normal daily driving this was an amazing idea!!! The switching of cam hills according to engine speed was fantastic FOR DAILY DRIVING! the ability to get whatever miles per gallon while just cruising around and also being able to make whatever power numbers in high rpm, is basically the whole concept of vtec, with out getting too much into detail. Vtec is that whole process.

Now let’s look at the race aspect.... why do you need vtec?? You are racing? You don’t need to have great fuel economy. Think when you race your car is constantly in "vtec", right? So why do you need those low rpm lobes? You don't. Who cares about how much MPG you get at the track.. It’s all about power. So ideally you would want to eliminate vtec. by doing this you can run a cam with 2 lobes not 3 thus eliminating your mid rocker cam, and parts of the valve train that are not needed anymore are removed to reduce friction from the valve train and reducing the valve train mass for better response. Most of you should know that when vtec engages you head receives more oil... well with disabling the vtec system this will remove fluctuations in the oil pressure system, securing a reliable oil feed to all the main moving components. Meaning it will be safer for you motor.

Like I said for daily driving and street racing yea vtec is great like I said “Life sucks without vtec” but for track racing.. for a track only race car.. vtec is pointless, why do you need to get that MPG? Why do you need all those extra weight and components? You don’t.

na is best!
02-17-2007, 11:30 AM
here are some pics for you.. hope it helps you understand

http://world.honda.com/history/challenge/1989vtecengine/img/pho_02.jpg

and also why do you think TODA sells "vtec killer cams?" and they cost around $1800... Here is how they look

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/twincamtech_1934_55561984
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/twincamtech/todavtkassyembly.jpg

na is best!
02-17-2007, 11:32 AM
here is another pic of the killer cams from passwordjdm

http://www.passwordjdm.com/uploads/images_products_large/1043.jpg

Notice there are only 2 cam lobes and the block off plate for the vtec solenoid

na is best!
02-17-2007, 11:43 AM
and back on topic no it is not cheaper to build a turbo car then it is to build a allmotor car...in both cases you will need pistons, rods, valvetrain, and cams.. so why is turbo cheaper? yea you can slap a turbo on a ls... and ls motors love boost.. but that is not a build.... but anyway i rather have a allmotor car then boost anyday

fast, cheap, reliable... you can only choose 2
Truely words of wisdom right there

if you want your car to be fast and cheap it wont be reliable, if you want it to be fast and reliable it wont be cheap, and if you want it to be cheap and reliable it wont be fast

yo whats up everyone? my names mike and i just got a 98 acura integra. im not to familiar with the car world but i love speed. im looking for some suggestions on what to do with my car. i was thinkin cold air, exauhst, turbo, or maybe a v-tech. i live right outside philly in a town called langhorne so if ur from the area and know of some places where i can get work done to my car...let me know. get back at me with info please...it would be greatly appreciated!!!

what are your horsepower goals? what is your budget? All motor? or forced induction? by the way you asked your question my best advice is read! READ READ READ READ and LEARN!!!! if you have any questions feel free to ask me

CHR!S
02-17-2007, 01:28 PM
and back on topic no it is not cheaper to build a turbo car then it is to build a allmotor car...in both cases you will need pistons, rods, valvetrain, and cams.. so why is turbo cheaper? yea you can slap a turbo on a ls... and ls motors love boost.. but that is not a build.... but anyway i rather have a allmotor car then boost anyday

if your referring to building both motors for boost and all motor, of course turbo is gonna cost more to 'build' since you need to buy alot more parts, but the final power output is much higher than that of an n/a motor. but you dont need a built block to run 300whp. someone that i know was running a completely stock ls bottom end with a sc61 turbo and a cheap-ass manifold, pushing 300whp and 295tq, running 11's. i think he spent no more than $3000 for everything. now to run 11's with an n/a b-series, it takes alot more money and work.