PDA

View Full Version : Most unreal drag crash EVER.

Blaise
06-06-2005, 10:05 PM
It will likely go down in history as the most freakish, nightmarish accident in drag-racing history. One top drag-racing official with 40 years' experience told the media he'd never seen or heard anything like it.

On the first Saturday in APril, Michelle "Shelly" Howard, a 59-year-old registered nurse and mother of three who had been drag-racing for 27 years, took her Top Alcohol Dragster for a 10 p.m. practice run at Tulsa Raceway Park as part of a late-night event.

Howard, the wife of a Tulsa physician, had huge experience-she'd won the Division 4 title twice and was a three-time national event winner.

Howard got off to a good start, but what happened next will have drag-racing people shaking their heads in disbelief for years to come. About halfway down the quarter-mile course, the nose of the dragster got airborne, lifted straight up into what is called a "blowover wheelstand" and while continuing to roar downt he track standing on its tail, turned 180 degrees and came down with tremendous force, now facing the starting line.

It is likely Howard was knocked unconscious. Although the dragster was pointed toward the start line and the wheels were spinning in that direction, the tremendous momentum continued to send it backward, toward the finish line, where it pased, astonishingly, at 115 mph with a time of 6.633 seconds.

This rearward travel ended about 1500 feet past the finish line, with Howard unconscious and the dragster's throttle at full tilt.

Then the rear wheels sent the dragster heading back toward the starting line, careening off the spectator and tower lanes as it gained speed, and crossed the line where it had started the race just seconds earlier, at perhaps 250 mph.

Adding an element of tragic numbing shock, Howard's husband, Paul, was watching all of this, helplessly, from the stands while their son, Brian, 36, was in the back of their chase vehicle about 125 feet behind the start line.

The dragster next plunged into the chase vehicle, killing mother and son instantly. The force of this bizarre collision sent the dragster and chase vehicle 225 feet through a rear burnout wall and into an open field and stream.

Oh my god. Oh my god.

SilverBulletRL
06-06-2005, 10:12 PM
:cry:

teh DIRT
06-06-2005, 10:17 PM
thats re-god-damn-diculous.

i duno though....travelling 200mph one way then instantly going the opposite direction would:

1: create a large burnout

or

2: spin the tires backwards while in a forward gear=engine stops in its tracks and reverses....= not good

piratius
06-06-2005, 11:03 PM
Re-read that dude...

He said the wheels were spinning while it was pointing the wrong direction, and then after it stopped (however briefly) it accelerated the other direction.

And that effin SUCKS, btw. :(

teh DIRT
06-06-2005, 11:09 PM
so....there was a huge burnout! schweet!

the mike
06-07-2005, 08:18 AM
That is the worst case scenario....sucks.

bjc26
06-07-2005, 09:13 AM
I read this story a while ago, a true tragedy. :(

chrism
06-07-2005, 09:35 AM
however sick it may sound i want to see a vid of this :eek:

Twin_Cam
06-07-2005, 10:21 AM
Oh wow. That's insane, and very unfortunate :(

Boostaddict
06-07-2005, 10:43 PM
That's really horrible. I thought I had bad luck.

TalonTsi97
06-07-2005, 10:57 PM
Wow, i wish i could of seen that happen, but i feel bad for those hurt and killed