PDA

View Full Version : the 2zz. toyotas gem

teh DIRT
06-06-2005, 07:16 PM
I alone know this motor is the sheet because kyle (kef) gave me the SAE docs on it. Lets hear what everyone else thinks about it. HERE.
-pete

DoubleOughtCel
06-06-2005, 07:27 PM
Does well enough for me until I get sick of it haha. Pete, you certainly know what your talking about. Check your pm's.

PS. I though kef was breaking my balls about my motor at the meet the other night, but maybe I misunderstood his tone.

SmokeyBandit
06-06-2005, 07:49 PM
honda copied VVTL-i and called it i-VTEC

teh DIRT
06-06-2005, 07:53 PM
haha. i wish i could find that tech document. Id post it up....ill ask kyle when i get a chance.
-pete

DoubleOughtCel
06-06-2005, 07:57 PM
yea, VVTL-i is pretty decent in my small motor. When the engine hits lift it almost feels like a 25shot of N2O haha. You can feel the car jerk forward and rev harder.

teh DIRT
06-06-2005, 08:02 PM
your sig rocks

DoubleOughtCel
06-06-2005, 08:18 PM
haha, thanks.

03tarmacblack
06-06-2005, 08:52 PM
hey a bit off topic, but if your looking for celica parts, I know a dude whos got alot, I told him to post it in the for sale section, so if he dont pm me if your interested.

DoubleOughtCel
06-06-2005, 08:55 PM
Uhhh......thanks?

03tarmacblack
06-06-2005, 08:58 PM
LOL i know it was off topic, but no problem.

272sWrx
06-06-2005, 09:37 PM
2jz-gte ownes all

chrism
06-06-2005, 10:18 PM
yea, VVTL-i is pretty decent in my small motor. When the engine hits lift it almost feels like a 25shot of N2O haha. You can feel the car jerk forward and rev harder.

its actually a 50hp increase depending on year....my last car was a matrix xrs and i hit lift at 6300 rpm to 8450 redline....you technically only have 130hp until then in order to save on fuel.....my trix was running 14's in a big heavy wagon...the motor itself is a work of art....why else would lotus have to nearly beg toyota for the motor?...

DoubleOughtCel
06-06-2005, 10:54 PM
it's a 2000 GT-S, however its an automatic :cry: .

piratius
06-06-2005, 11:01 PM
Now, they need to combine it with someone else's technology.

Ford uses(used?) a set of plate valves in their intake manifold to alter the path of the air depending on RPM - long runners opened for low end, both open through most of the RPM band, and the short runners open only at high-top end. They called it VRIS (Variable Resonanse Intake System) or IMRC's (Intake manifold runner control) depending on year/model.

Notably are the 2.5L KL (mazda/ford) motor and the 3.8L mustang motor from 99-04 :)

~B

teh DIRT
06-06-2005, 11:02 PM
feast your eyes boys and girls....

http://inkanddagger.net/2ZZ_Engine.pdf

edit: or not...link is dead.

DoubleOughtCel
06-06-2005, 11:18 PM
The only gripe I have about the car is the fact that it had no bottom end. It seriously is a snail until the top end of 2nd. Any suggestions?

teh DIRT
06-06-2005, 11:42 PM
that could have a little bit to do with gearing. Intake runners have a lot to do with top end vs. low end power.
-pete

kef
06-06-2005, 11:50 PM
http://inkanddagger.net/2zzGE_Engine.pdf

mmc coating, yum.

CarbonIS
06-06-2005, 11:55 PM
what about the good old 2jz-ge?

SmokeyBandit
06-07-2005, 12:15 AM

Ford uses(used?) a set of plate valves in their intake manifold to alter the path of the air depending on RPM - long runners opened for low end, both open through most of the RPM band, and the short runners open only at high-top end. They called it VRIS (Variable Resonanse Intake System) or IMRC's (Intake manifold runner control) depending on year/model.

Notably are the 2.5L KL (mazda/ford) motor and the 3.8L mustang motor from 99-04 :)

~B

Toyota has been using that technology for a while now. It was once known as TVIS in the 80's (Toyota Variable Induction System), then in the 90's it was updated and called ACIS (Acoustic Controlled Induction System) -- both 2 stage "variable" intake runner systems. The old 3S-GE engine in the Celica GTS (86-89) had the TVIS system.

iirc, the MKI MR2 4A-GE engine also had the TVIS system

chrism
06-07-2005, 06:18 AM
honda started it, but toyota perfected it.....im sure i got a few links to find for you guys

SmokeyBandit
06-07-2005, 01:12 PM
the short story is...

1989: VTEC firsted appeared on the NSX. VTEC is basically cam profile changing.

1991: VVT first appeared on the Corolla 4A-GE 20V. VVT is a electro-hydraulic controlled 2-stage intake cam phasing system

1996: VVT-i appeared first on the 2JZ-GE motor, where it is a continous intake cam phasing system.

1998: dual VVT-i on the Altezza 3S-GE, featuring continuous cam phasing on both the intake and exhaust cams.

2000: VVTL-i, Toyota combines both VVT-i and VTEC on the 2ZZ-GE which is VTEC with VVT-i on the intake cam

2002: Honda debuts i-VTEC on the RSX (Integra) which is basically VVTL-i

the better VTEC systems had 3 cam profiles (which we did eventually get with the 240bhp 3.0L V6 Accord). VTEC-E was there lean burning system where on the "small cam" half of the exhaust valves were closed. Big cam, all exhaust valves functional.

There are 2 types of i-VTEC, best illustrated by the RSX.
Base RSX: VVT-i on the intake cam and VTEC on the intake cam only.
RSX Type S: VVT-i on the intake cam (wider degree of variation also) and VTEC on both intake and exhaust cam. Because of the VVT-i system, these engines are forced to be DOHC.

Toyota VVT-i degree of variation is dependent on the type of head, "F" (economy) or "G" (performance).

2005: Dual VVT-i is back on the new V6's, first the Avalon.

BMW VANOS: Toyota VVT system like on the 4A-GE 20V. Double VANOS is VVT on both intake and exhaust cams

BMW Valvetronic: Toyota VVT-i system (intake only) and goes one step further to eliminate the throttle butterfly

Porsche Variocam: Toyota VVT-i (intake only)

Mitsubishi MIVEC = Honda VTEC

Nissan Variable Valve Timing = Toyota VVT-i (intake only)

Subaru AVCS = Toyota VVT-i (intake only)

chrism
06-07-2005, 01:37 PM
very nice write up smokey....:thumbup:

sfd
06-07-2005, 02:39 PM

~B

mazda also introduced a POTS system on the intake manifold for the bp05 which is basically stuff you get to port out later.

i hope we're talking about the klze and not the kl03 here in the us in the probe. that motor sucked. made decent power but was as reliable as a crack head.