PDA

View Full Version : Couple issues with the car....again (again)

TGilb2007
12-30-2006, 01:20 AM
Ok...here is the deal.

Issue 1: At a cold start, there is just this loud, and rather annoying squeeling sound coming from under the engine bay. Checked into it, and seems like its coming from what I think is the AC pulley. Applied some WD-40, and that solved the problem, for about 15 min. Cold started a couple days later, and same thing. Seems to taper off after either I put the car in gear, or maybe 3-4 minutes after start, when the engine would start to warm up a tad.

Issue 2: Seems like there is a small oil leak in the car. I got into the car, and after driving for about 15 minutes or so once the heat has been on, seems like there is a slight burning smell coming into the heat. Not sure what it is. Got under the car, and there was oil all over the oil pan and oil filter, and some other parts underneath (dunna what, im not that good when it comes to those things). Anyway, I noticed it most when I think some of it was getting onto the exhaust piping, causing some white smoke to come from under the hood, but couldnt see where it was coming from at first. Me and my dad think that it COULD be the oil pan gasket. Now, if it is, how hard (and how expensive) would that be to fix?

Any insight would be rather helpful into getting these issues resolved. So anyway, can someone :help:

xrturbo
01-02-2007, 11:06 PM
for #2 check your axle boot, alot of times the boot will rip and dump grease onto the cat and that is right by the fresh air intake for your hvac, got 2 right now with that issue:mrgreen: it is just a little more incentive to get me closer to swap time

teh DIRT
01-03-2007, 02:27 AM
if its on the front of the pan i doubt its an axle. my guess is front main seal or rear main seal. If its the front it will drip, but if your moving while its dripping it will travel all over the pan and onto the exhaust. The rear main seal will drip right on the exhaust.

TGilb2007
01-03-2007, 02:03 PM
Yea, me and my dad already looked at the axle boots. It looks like its coming fro the front of the pan. I cleaned it off, and checked it a week later, and its got oil all over it again.
How hard, and more importantly, how much, would that be to fix?

CHAOS
01-03-2007, 02:28 PM
front main seal can be done by urself IMO... youve gotta strip the front of the engine of the pulley system so u can get to it then its just replace and reverse the process u took to get there.

bkotzman00
01-03-2007, 02:50 PM
#1 had the same problem with my old 94 legacy I cannot remember how I got it to go away but try tightening the belt a bit and or replace the belt and tighten

TGilb2007
01-04-2007, 03:15 AM
Ok....more stupid questions.....like, how to? and how much? Also, what tools do I need? Since im away at college, my access to tools is rather limited.