PDA

View Full Version : tein coilovers or eibach springs with KYB shocks?

drew
12-13-2006, 08:32 PM
i want to drop before spring but i'm really having a hard time making this choice. the eibach struts and springs would be my first choice but the struts have been d/c. leaving only koni yellows or kyb, i don't want to have to cut my stocks up so koni is out of the questionl. that leaves me with eibach springs and kyb shocks or tein coilovers. after talking to people i'm hearing more and more than tein isn't as good as people make them out to be, and that in japan it's more of a budget brand than anything else. what do you guys think the ride quality and longevity would be for these 2 setups ?

ILikeItSideways
12-13-2006, 08:43 PM
I have KYB's matched up to ground control coil sleeves, and the AGX's are great. Between daily driving and rallyx'ing, they are a great setup. I have yet to try them on the track, but the handling characteristics can be changed easily and quickly. For my budget, they were a good option.

highmilehatch
12-21-2006, 02:23 AM
Which Eibach's? Prokits or Sportlines?

smelly240
12-21-2006, 03:57 PM
if you arent going to corner the car - and its just to lower it - get springs and some nice dampers...

if you want to corner the car get some coilovers. i assume you're looking at tein basics? they have similar spring rates as the sportline springs for most cars.

D Money
12-21-2006, 04:13 PM
Tein SS with pillow ball mounts from 201 motorsports.

drew
12-21-2006, 04:32 PM
if you arent going to corner the car - and its just to lower it - get springs and some nice dampers...

if you want to corner the car get some coilovers. i assume you're looking at tein basics? they have similar spring rates as the sportline springs for most cars.

i plan to auto-x a lot

piknockout
12-21-2006, 04:40 PM
I have the Tein Basics. I've had them for about 2.5 years and have autocrossed and tracked them. Currently have about 50k miles on them and I like them. And you have the ability to set the height where you want it. Go with the Teins. :wink:

drew
12-21-2006, 05:26 PM
basic c/o's or springs?

the only tein coilovers for the tib are these

http://www.raceinspired.com/ps-2623-54-tein-super-street-with-pillowball-uppermount-coilover-damper-kit-hyundai-tiburon-2003-up.aspx

cszakolczai
12-22-2006, 01:57 AM
I personally like the KYB and sportline set up, I know a lot of people that swear by coilovers and a lot of people that swear by KYB's. I have sportlines in my Sentra, and I love them. Really stiffens everything up, and I didn't spend a good 800+ dollars on them, like you will with coilovers.

Chris

auk113
12-22-2006, 02:15 AM
Tein SS with pillow ball mounts from 201 motorsports.

Throwing your money away --^

if it's your dd i would go for tein flex.

Ender81
12-22-2006, 02:18 AM
I'm running the KYB AGX's and I'm pretty happy with them.

dt98gsr
12-22-2006, 02:25 AM
Don't go with a spring and strut setup unless you don't car about height adjustment.

It would be one thing if you were comparing a inexpensive set of coilovers to a srping and aftermarket strut setup but you are comparing one of Tein's top of the line coilovers to springs and struts. Apples and oranges if you ask me.

I vote Teins

smelly240
12-22-2006, 08:15 PM
im disturbed that Tein and top of the line were said in hte same instance...

drew
12-22-2006, 09:06 PM

i was under the impression that tein was a budget brand but i didn't want to get anyones panties in a bunch since i know everyone loves tein.. the only reason i would go with tein coilovers for my car is because i don't think any of the other companys making coilovers for us have the same ammount of R&D as tein put into theirs. if it was a different car, i'm sure i'd have better options

mek9fast
01-11-2007, 02:37 PM
what kind of car is this goin on? if your gonna be hard in auto-x then get full coilovers so you can set up your car to the conditions. plus there are many other coilovers besides just teins you could get for you car.

gary
01-11-2007, 03:01 PM
Uhh there are a few options in coilovers for the second gen tibs. I'd also like to point out that the KYB AGXs will not be available till 4th Q 2007/ 1st Q 2008. We only have KYB GR2s available for our cars now. The GR2s are factory replacements with slightly better dampening in them.

Coilover Brands for the Tib in no order:
Ksport
Tein
Quest
kspec
Sharkracing
Seoulful Racing
B & G Sport
+ more

The reason I went with springs and struts is because my car will most likely never see a track of any kind. If you were to go with coilovers, be warned that you aren't going to be able to throw them on and take it to get an alignment just anywhere. You will need to shop around and find somewhere that can corner balance and has experience with setting the car up for what you want.
You can take a ride in my car anytime you want to feel the KYB GR2s and the Eibach Pro Kits. My car can become bouncy on roads that have alot of small bumps. Its annoying when you are driving around the warehouses that have trucks constantly. They tend to warp the road. This is due to a softer damning than what is needed for the springs. The car going down the highway is actually smoother than stock but when you get into a turn its a whole new animal. I am happy with my setup right now but then again, it is a daily driver that still needs to be functional. Including when it snows.

Ok I typed enough now.

drew
01-11-2007, 04:38 PM
yeah man i didn't say there wasn't other options for coilovers, i just said the other options probably didn't have near as much r&d in their product, plus a few of the vendors selling them arn't the most reliable ( like shark racing )

Wiisass
01-14-2007, 02:02 AM

That's what marketing and people who don't know what a good damper feels like will get you.