PDA

View Full Version : going F/I on high milelage motor?

drew
12-13-2006, 08:29 PM
I've got 60,000 on my tiburon, my factory warrenty is now up so I'm more apt to go F/I. I have all regular maintence up to date, most of it I do a little early ( i did my timing belt at like 56,000 ) will I run into any problems that a newer engine wouldn't encounter? I'll probably just go with a stage 0 alpine blower or NGM sniper running 3-5psi.

Loserkidwac
12-13-2006, 08:38 PM
I don't think 60K is high miles, I think as long as its a healthy motor you are fine...Atleast Honda guys have been boosting stock motors with oover 150K no problem, I don't know the milage on my swap but I bet its around there...

redline
12-13-2006, 08:39 PM
No you should be good with 60K. Do a compression test it will tell you everything you need to know. I would opt for 6-8 PSI and make it worth it.

drew
12-13-2006, 08:47 PM
No you should be good with 60K. Do a compression test it will tell you everything you need to know. I would opt for 6-8 PSI and make it worth it.

i would definitly do a compression test on all cylinders first. i want to go with an NGM kit that runs more PSI but i'm waiting for a while to see how it's working for other people, it's a pretty new one and i dont know how much r&d went into it before it was released

plus if i do much more im going to have to get a new clutch ( and obviously i'd get a light flywheel to go along with it )

teh DIRT
12-13-2006, 08:53 PM
ahah 60?! i turbo'd mine at 100k. DO IT!

highmilehatch
12-15-2006, 04:02 PM
Regardless of mileage, your choice of fuel management and tune will determine how long your engine lasts. It could have 10k or 110k. If the tune is spot on and you take care of it, it will take care of you. Don't let the mileage scare you. Focus on getting a solid fuel system/engine management.

gary
12-15-2006, 04:23 PM
Your going to blow the already 10:1 2.7L up. I want to be there when it happens though... yahooooo!

TTsupra911
12-15-2006, 04:40 PM
Your going to blow the already 10:1 2.7L up. I want to be there when it happens though... yahooooo!

WTF..... Tons of tiburon guys have boosted after 60K. You'll be fine just keep an eye on all the vitals and make sure you don't boost to much. Also if you do go that route, welcome to the world of F/I :banana:

gary
12-15-2006, 04:47 PM
#1 rule of boosting a Hyundai - buy another hyundai

On stock internals, front bank rings usually go first on a stock block. You are right, 4psi, your probably fine for a while depending on how much/hard you drive. On a hot day, even 4psi gets dangerously close to what the stock ecu's knock correction can handle.

I never said he shouldn't do it. I just said I want to be there...

Intercooled T
12-15-2006, 04:58 PM
turbo or s/c?

gary
12-15-2006, 04:59 PM
I'll probably just go with a stage 0 alpine blower or NGM sniper running 3-5psi.

Those are supercharger's

redline
12-15-2006, 05:23 PM

10:1, if that is the compression ratio, isn't that high!

D Money
12-15-2006, 05:27 PM
do it up son.

drew
12-15-2006, 05:27 PM
#1 rule of boosting a Hyundai - buy another hyundai

On stock internals, front bank rings usually go first on a stock block. You are right, 4psi, your probably fine for a while depending on how much/hard you drive. On a hot day, even 4psi gets dangerously close to what the stock ecu's knock correction can handle.

I never said he shouldn't do it. I just said I want to be there...

i wont be on stock internals, getting rods and pistons from that gb on nt

i wont be doing it until summer probably, going by the rule "dont mod what you cant afford to fix" so until i've got enough saved for a new engine ( preferably one of those NGM built short blocks ) i wont do it

gary
12-15-2006, 05:33 PM
Big baller!... Santa must be good to you.

So everyone can see what this baller is about to drop...
http://www.newtiburon.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1545397#post1545397

I want to see this beast when your done with it. I take it all back 20PSI+ for you my son. I want to drive this 500+HP fwd monster!

drew
12-15-2006, 05:40 PM
Big baller!... Santa must be good to you.

So everyone can see what this baller is about to drop...
http://www.newtiburon.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1545397#post1545397

I want to see this beast when your done with it. I take it all back 20PSI+ for you my son. I want to drive this 500+HP fwd monster!

lol

i called NGM and they were telling me the sniper would be fine on the stock block, but on NT people are saying the rods are the weak point of our engine.

now i just need $2,000 before the middle of next month :[ i wish the GB wasn't around christmas, i have enough for them right now but don't want to have a tight budget when i go home for christmas

wgknestrick
12-15-2006, 05:44 PM
If you are only going to boost 4psi, I say wait and mod something worthwhile. This isn't a knock against your car, but the money you spend to go this route is not worth the 40-50hp (depending on IC or not) that 4 psi buys you. There are probably more important things to spend your money on at this time.

gary
12-15-2006, 05:45 PM
just a thought? Why not save up and get a built block from NGM and then all the work is done for you, delivered to your house. Its only like 1k more.

drew
12-15-2006, 05:48 PM
If you are only going to boost 4psi, I say wait and mod something worthwhile. This isn't a knock against your car, but the money you spend to go this route is not worth the 40-50hp (depending on IC or not) that 4 psi buys you. There are probably more important things to spend your money on at this time.

i have been thinking about that a lot, i want an evo 8 really bad and could probably get one, but i dont really like the idea of buying a used evo since there is like a 99% chance it was beat on. i doubt i could get a new evo, so maybe i could go the subbie route and get a WRX tr. i cant make decisions for myself and never finish something i start =P i still have headers, intake manifold, and lower plenum for my tiburon i havn't put on. i cant do header myself and everytime i think about getting them installed i back out cause i convince myself i just want to trade my car in

redline
12-15-2006, 05:50 PM
Yeah start a with a short block and go from their. If you do it right the first time the labor costs are cut in half when the engine does finally go.

drew
12-15-2006, 05:50 PM
just a thought? Why not save up and get a built block from NGM and then all the work is done for you, delivered to your house. Its only like 1k more.

isn't the NGM short block 4,000 ? the rods and pistons would only be 1900

it sounds like a better idea, but i'm really "iffy" about keeping the car, so another 2000 is probably just more than i would invest in it

plus as others have pointed out, $4,000 for the block, $2,600 for the s/c

that's 6,600 without any labor factored in for 40hp

gary
12-15-2006, 05:54 PM
If I remember correctly it was like 3600 for the short block that is suppose to handle 500+hp and up to like something stupid like 20psi. It would probably come out the same when it all comes to an end since you will be getting someone else to install the parts. Also you only have 1 car so its faster to swap than it is to pull=> build=> put back in.

If you going to sell the car then why not give me the headers and drive it the way it is.

drew
12-15-2006, 06:01 PM
If I remember correctly it was like 3600 for the short block that is suppose to handle 500+hp and up to like something stupid like 20psi. It would probably come out the same when it all comes to an end since you will be getting someone else to install the parts. Also you only have 1 car so its faster to swap than it is to pull=> build=> put back in.

If you going to sell the car then why not give me the headers and drive it the way it is.

i dont know what i want to do :/ my credit is iffy, i bought a lancer for 12k and paid it off in 1 year, but at the same time i broke a lease at my last apartment and let 2 bills go to collections because i never got them forwarded to my new address.

I just don't know what I want to do, no matter what I do everyone will still look at it as a korean pos. i love it now, but want something more fun to drive, i think if i went s/c that would satisfy me. but, i know i could have a lot more fun with something else

if I had 10k to blow, i would definitly buy an NGM built block, assassin, and have a blast. but I dont, and I think it would be smarter to use what I do have saved as a down payment + trade the tiburon for something I could be happy with stock ( like an evo 8 :] )

gary
12-15-2006, 06:06 PM
That sounds like a good idea + give me the headers...

haha well whatever you do, make sure you like it before you buy it.

drew
12-15-2006, 06:10 PM
That sounds like a good idea + give me the headers...

haha well whatever you do, make sure you like it before you buy it.

the headers are so ****ty it's unbelievable. they're the SSA V2's and almost every weld is going to have to be reinforced ( you can litterally see some holes, TONS of pinholes ) the collecters are only like 1/32' thick metal

gary
12-15-2006, 06:22 PM
that sux glad i wasn't going with ssa

drew
12-15-2006, 06:24 PM
that sux glad i wasn't going with ssa

i wanted hotshot but when i got the SSA ones hotshot was all backordered, now i hear if you order from their site they ship right away

wgknestrick
12-15-2006, 06:44 PM
i dont know what i want to do :/ my credit is iffy, i bought a lancer for 12k and paid it off in 1 year, but at the same time i broke a lease at my last apartment and let 2 bills go to collections because i never got them forwarded to my new address.

I just don't know what I want to do, no matter what I do everyone will still look at it as a korean pos. i love it now, but want something more fun to drive, i think if i went s/c that would satisfy me. but, i know i could have a lot more fun with something else

if I had 10k to blow, i would definitly buy an NGM built block, assassin, and have a blast. but I dont, and I think it would be smarter to use what I do have saved as a down payment + trade the tiburon for something I could be happy with stock ( like an evo 8 :] )

I don't see this as a bad idea at all.

Renegade_
12-15-2006, 06:47 PM
Turbo'ing a non-turbo motor is all in the tune. You can blow it up day one, or it can be alive 50,000 miles later and still strong.

highmilehatch
12-18-2006, 02:08 AM
Turbo'ing a non-turbo motor is all in the tune. You can blow it up day one, or it can be alive 50,000 miles later and still strong.

Yup. Do either of you guys know what these kits do for fuel management?

92dxman
12-18-2006, 09:13 PM
If you are going to up the power ante with the Tiburon, a limited slip might be something to look into. And it appears Quaife has one for the v6 Tiburon. Is yours the 5 or 6 speed?

drew
12-18-2006, 11:25 PM
5 speed

highmile

alpine stage 0 has no fuel management, stage 1 just adds water cooling, stage 2 adds a pb ecu

highmilehatch
12-21-2006, 02:25 AM
No fuel management = bad idea. Do these cars use a map or mafs sensor?

SoStock92
01-10-2007, 01:51 AM
I am pushing 10 psi from a holset H1E through my BMW motor at 193,000 miles.