PDA

View Full Version : Question for all the 240 guys

BLKtopSIL80
12-07-2006, 08:23 PM
Ok i spuna rod bearing today on my ka24e so now i need a new motor...im looking to get either a CA18det or a rb20det...in your opinion what are the pros and cons with the motors and which one would u go with...im looking to hit 300 hp but still be reaibale...and also what are some good sites that have parts for these motors cause i cant find ne thing...thanks guys

slavetothemuzic
12-07-2006, 08:51 PM
Personally, I'd say go RB, but I am biased. I have an RB25.

I'm not sure how readily available parts are for the CA. I know the SR has best availability and RB is beginning to get good. With more and more people getting RBs, some shops are starting to carry necessary stuff like gasket sets, etc. Also, if you look on Nico, there is a great list of parts compatibility for things like starters, alternators, etc.

As far as reliable, it's going to be as reliable as you make it. If it's installed right and you take proper care of it, it'll be great. If you don't take care of it and just beat on it constantly, it probably won't last you long.

Wiisass
12-08-2006, 02:28 AM
With those choices, I would just find another SOHC to put in there. The CA was a pretty cool motor, but probably not worth it. The rb20 is a very worthless swap, for the amount of work you would put into it, you should just bite the bullet and spend the extra for the 25.

And with both motors, you'll probably end up spending just as much to make them reliable and build them up to 300hp as you would just getting an SR. But I'm guessing you're looking at the CA and RB20 just because they're cheap. They're cheap for a reason.

240sxDann
12-08-2006, 11:08 PM
ka24de-t, but thats just my opinion. Its really not that hard to put down 300rwhp on the ka's, and have a very reliable motor at the same time. I've read about a lot of guys putting down big numbers and daily driving them. One guy was putting 530rwhp on a stock motor. (obviously not gonna last long, but just the fact that its a completely stock motor..i mean come on lol) Anyways, thats just my opinion. Check out www.ka-t.org <--good site for ka-t

DN_Sileighty
12-18-2006, 11:30 PM
i'd say go with an sr ca are cheap but no power rb20 sure is worthless

www.fivestarsauto.com

smelly240
12-19-2006, 01:50 PM
^^ im with them - rb20s are all the work with none of the fun... just spring for a SR or do a KADE turbo... with a KADE and some tuning people are getting nice power from a stock KA

OBEEWON
12-19-2006, 02:39 PM
SR20DET,RB26DETT, VG30DETT, VQ35DE, VH45(56)DE... anything less would be uncivilized.

The SR didn't get hyped for nothing. Theres a reason people in Canada are swapping SR's into thier RB equipped cars, and drift teams are dropping VQ's for SR's.

a2low240
12-19-2006, 05:23 PM
Go SR or RB25. Best bang for the buck. 300 reliable hp is easiest attained with the RB25. A 300hp SR swap is going to run you about 7-10K depending on parts. An off the shelf RB25 swap is going to be less. The CA is good only if you want to be different. Very light motor but limited on HP. The RB20 is decent but the later versions of the RB are much more refined.

Renegade_
12-19-2006, 05:33 PM
When swapping a 240, would it be a wiser investment to dish out a little more money and get a clip as opposed to a motor set? Is the 240's radiator good enough for an SR/RB?

I have also heard about driveshaft fabrication and motor mount issues: Which motors is this valid on? Only the RBs? I'm kinda new to 240s but I want to know a bit more specific swap info since a friend of mine might be swapping sometime this coming year. I know a crapload about suby swaps, not 240 swaps though.

smelly240
12-19-2006, 05:47 PM
rb's need a hammer, some motor mounts and a driveshaft ;)
the hammer is to make room :) - and make sure u get the tranny support.

I used a KA radiator for a while on my sr but you'll want to upgrade it to a nice one - plus the crossover hose crap looks hom0.

highmilehatch
12-19-2006, 07:32 PM
I'm a big fan of using the stock SR radiator, shroud, hoses and clutch fan.