PDA

View Full Version : Coilovers Vs. Springs

V8EURO
12-05-2006, 07:18 PM
As title says, I'm looking into lowering the ride hight on my 04 S4. Not sure if I should go with just a set of lowering springs or a complete coilover set up. Any one have any info on the topic?

http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23039

jrtcbmw
12-05-2006, 11:16 PM
Depends on what you want with the car? Street, track, auto-x...how hard you drive the car, ect.

if you just do springs, get a set of heavy duty or sport strut/shocks. Depending on how low you go will shorten the life of you stock struts/shock very fast. That set up will be great for a street and some light auto-x.

If you want a stiffer ride but more track, auto-x set up then go with the coilovers. They are streetable but again they are stiff so be prepared.

Personally i run coilovers on my car, at first it took some time to get used to but now im so used to it i just couldnt see myself going back to a softer set up. I auto-x my car and drive it very hard on the mountain road and on the street (at times) so it helps to have the coilovers on the car.

V8EURO
12-10-2006, 05:32 PM
I want the look, but I also what better handling, i would like the car to be tighter and have better turn in, just handle better all around. I do alot of daily driving and want a smooth ride. From the little research i have done, it seems H&R coilovers seem to the most popular in the audi world. so i think thats the way I may go, Thanks for the Info.

jrtcbmw
12-10-2006, 05:35 PM
Yeah if you want both look and handling then go with coilovers, i know HR Coilover are very good and popular in the BMW world.

Just be prepared when you get the coilovers that it will be a very stiff ride until you get used to it then it becomes "smooth".

Goodluck and post some photos when you get the work done.

SmokeyBandit
12-10-2006, 10:12 PM
The only benefit of coilovers... is if you like to fiddle around with the ride height.

Some coilovers do have adjustability of the dampers to tune the ride a bit more. iirc H&R PCS Coilovers have don't the application for the S4.

KW Suspension, Variant 3, have compression & rebound adjustments

Bilstein PSS9 are adjustable in compression & rebound also

vr6exy
12-12-2006, 05:47 PM
i have a cupkit (springs,shocks) and i love it. if i had an s4 though, i'd probably spend the money and get coils.

dt98gsr
12-12-2006, 06:27 PM
H & R's are nice and you can't go wrong with them but if you want the best of everything (adjustability, handling, ride quality) go with the Bilstein PSS9's or the KW Variant 3's. They are pricey but the best performing.

My dad had H & R coilovers on his '99 VW GTI VR6, your car reminds me of it...

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e65/dt98gsr/P4220060.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e65/dt98gsr/P4080007.jpg

I love Ginster Yellow.

My vote is for coilovers.

124spy
12-13-2006, 11:41 AM
Ck out the Bilstein PSS9's awsome kit
I have a customer w/them on an M3, uses car for track days and loves them

Danronian
12-13-2006, 12:04 PM
I love adjusting my ride height all the time, so i'd say go with coilovers. Makes it so you can ride slammed all summer and raise it up for the few bad winter months. I find that you'll always want to go lower and with springs, you'll just be pissed, because you can't.

The problem with coilovers is they often are a harsher ride, but if you're willing to have a bit stiffer ride than springs, go with them, if you're the type who likes smooth rides more than anything, go with springs.

vr6exy
12-13-2006, 01:44 PM
I find that you'll always want to go lower and with springs, you'll just be pissed, because you can't.

i have springs/shocks, and i'm very happy with my stance and ride height. though i know some people aren't cause they just wanna be as low as possible. i'm practical, and i'm not trying to ruin my car too much. :-)

LilRedVDub
12-13-2006, 02:09 PM
I know from my experiance, I think coil overs are def a rougher ride, but it's what you prefer. I love my bilstiens and will never buy anything else.

Danronian
12-13-2006, 03:27 PM
i have springs/shocks, and i'm very happy with my stance and ride height. though i know some people aren't cause they just wanna be as low as possible. i'm practical, and i'm not trying to ruin my car too much. :-)

Damn, boyertown...you're super-local to me, and 20. Did you graduate in 2003 from BASH? I'm guessing 2004, then I wouldn't know you. But I figured I'd ask.

Know how to work on Mk2s?:help: :eek:
I just got a free one and might need some help getting it running.

SmokeyBandit
12-13-2006, 05:25 PM
I know from my experiance, I think coil overs are def a rougher ride, but it's what you prefer. I love my bilstiens and will never buy anything else.

the crappy ride is from improper matching of the springs to the dampers. When you change the height of the springs, you change the characteristics of the dampers also. This is where having adjustable damper help as you can compensate to fit your needs.

I have a regular spring-damper setup on my car. The springs are extremely stiff. However, since the dampers are well matched to the springs, the ride is very pleasant. It's not punishing.

The spring rates for my suspension are 225 lb-in front and 180 lb-in rear for my MK4 Golf.

jrtcbmw
12-13-2006, 06:15 PM
the crappy ride is from improper matching of the springs to the dampers. When you change the height of the springs, you change the characteristics of the dampers also. This is where having adjustable damper help as you can compensate to fit your needs.

I have a regular spring-damper setup on my car. The springs are extremely stiff. However, since the dampers are well matched to the springs, the ride is very pleasant. It's not punishing.

The spring rates for my suspension are 225 lb-in front and 180 lb-in rear for my MK4 Golf.

very true. My spring rates on my coilovers are 550f and 650r. They are matched perfectly to the strut/shock so the ride is stiff but very streetable (and track happy --- my favorite part)

ILikeItSideways
12-13-2006, 08:30 PM
If you've got the budget for coilovers...don't hesitate to do it. They are worth their weight in gold.

dolphinS4
12-13-2006, 08:51 PM
Most B6 S4's I've come across run the PSS9's.
Nothing but excellent comments.

V8EURO
12-13-2006, 09:57 PM
The more I look into it, the more I hear about the PSS9'S, Thats what alot of the guys on the vwvortex forum use. I hear all good things, and the adjustability and ride seem to be the best. I think I am sold on them. Thanx all for the info!

vr6exy
12-14-2006, 04:15 PM
Damn, boyertown...you're super-local to me, and 20. Did you graduate in 2003 from BASH? I'm guessing 2004, then I wouldn't know you. But I figured I'd ask.

Know how to work on Mk2s?:help: :eek:
I just got a free one and might need some help getting it running.

i don't actually live in town, i live in barto, but yea i graduated in 04, when did you graduate? my sister also graduated in 01 and she drives a jazz blue mk4 gti. and no, i don't know much about working on my own car, thats what my bf is for, haha. if you got it free and can't get it running, you can give it to me. :-)

vr6exy
12-14-2006, 04:16 PM
The more I look into it, the more I hear about the PSS9'S, Thats what alot of the guys on the vwvortex forum use. I hear all good things, and the adjustability and ride seem to be the best. I think I am sold on them. Thanx all for the info!

one thing you can count on vortex for is good advice. usually... lol. good luck with that!

SmokeyBandit
12-14-2006, 04:34 PM
one thing you can count on vortex for is good advice. usually... lol. good luck with that!

As long as you don't post in the MK4 forum... you tend to be fine

vr6exy
12-15-2006, 05:17 PM
As long as you don't post in the MK4 forum... you tend to be fine

you think the mk4 forum is bad? check out mk3. i think they are all equally as bad. people can be really immature and ignorant.

SmokeyBandit
12-15-2006, 09:54 PM
All the model specific forums are bad. The MK4 forum has the worst reputation. Some day, the MK5 forum will have the worst reputation. The B6 forum members are so full of themselves.... Low Ego Emissions my ass.

The technical forums has gotten bad also as of late.

vr6exy
12-16-2006, 07:51 PM
All the model specific forums are bad. The MK4 forum has the worst reputation. Some day, the MK5 forum will have the worst reputation. The B6 forum members are so full of themselves.... Low Ego Emissions my ass.

The technical forums has gotten bad also as of late.

very true. and you don't need a mk5 to have a huge ego. many mk3 owners think they are the coolest people ever. i just ignore it and don't give them the attention they want.

SmokeyBandit
12-16-2006, 10:55 PM
very true. and you don't need a mk5 to have a huge ego. many mk3 owners think they are the coolest people ever. i just ignore it and don't give them the attention they want.

Some of the aircooled people have the biggest egos.

vr6exy
12-18-2006, 06:56 PM
Some of the aircooled people have the biggest egos.

99% of volkswagen drivers do. lol.

jrtcbmw
12-18-2006, 11:01 PM
Quick question --- how this become a thread that states the obvious (everyone ripping on vw), not that im disagreeing whats being said, or complaining, just wondering??

vr6exy
12-18-2006, 11:47 PM
i don't hate vws. obviously not because i drive one. i just dislike most of the people... and i don't remember how it started.

Turbo.:R
01-08-2007, 10:20 PM
i don't hate vws. obviously not because i drive one. i just dislike most of the people... and i don't remember how it started.

u like me mer....:supz: