PDA

View Full Version : Who here has seen Donnie Darko?

Holy Hair
12-04-2006, 03:26 AM
I've seen this movie a few years back, and still to this day, I watch it sometimes. After watching it, I can't stop thinking about religion, time travel, and all that nonsense. I was on this other forum that had a thread just for this movie. Mostly everyone that posted, didn't understand the movie, so they asked what it was all about. And one person that posted mentioned (if you've seen the movie) the part when Donnie was talking with his one teacher about time travel, and how the teacher wasn't able to continue the conversation with him, because he could lose hid job. Obviously it was about religion, because Donnie mentioned about following God's channel. Anyway, the one that posted this, talked about the catholic church speaking the truth but twisting it. Basically saying religion is nothing but a big conspiracy.

Ok saying all that, I want to hear some of your thoughts on the movie, and if you agree that religion is nothing but a conspiracy..

I'll start off, I think religion is in fact a conspiracy. The leaders want you to believe something they or someone else in fact made up. This is why we have so many different religions. All they do, is tell you what you WANT to believe is the truth. Again this is my opinion, not factual information.

On Sale
12-04-2006, 05:03 AM
ahhh ouch. i cant talk about religion, i might get banned from tst.

PotenzaSub
12-04-2006, 05:53 AM
Haven't seen the movie yet, but I plan to.

DoubleOughtCel
12-04-2006, 07:53 AM
theres already 3 or 4 other threads about it

CHAOS
12-04-2006, 08:23 AM
eternity is a mind blowing thing to think about.

Lux
12-04-2006, 09:50 AM
well i have to agree everytime i watch it i think about it... but meh im a cosmology major so i guess i think about random things like that anyways.. hehe

Intercooled T
12-04-2006, 09:56 AM
Great movie, but I'd like to put the religion part aside for a sec. The thing that made me wonder about all that stuff was the water channels, that are pre-set in time that show the paths people take in life, and if a tangent universe can actually produce itself to correct actual time and space....

Anyone care to talk about these things?

TTsupra911
12-04-2006, 10:02 AM
eternity is a mind blowing thing to think about.

x2.... I saw the movie a few years back. So I can't really comment on it to much because I forget most of it. I did however enjoy the movie.

Currently my favorite thinker movie is The Da Vinci Code

Lux
12-04-2006, 10:20 AM
Great movie, but I'd like to put the religion part aside for a sec. The thing that made me wonder about all that stuff was the water channels, that are pre-set in time that show the paths people take in life, and if a tangent universe can actually produce itself to correct actual time and space....

Anyone care to talk about these things?

this thread will get ugly if we do....

xEJ20x
12-04-2006, 03:46 PM
I've seen Donnie Darko quite a few times and I own it on DVD.
But after all this time I still laugh how some people over-analyze (not Holy Hair, mind you) the movie and how some people jumped on the "I <3 Donnie Darko because its sooo uber deep, even though I don't understand one bit of it" bandwagon. :roll:

As for the whole "religion is a conspiracy" idealogy.
It's a grey area for me. I don't have any problems with Taoism, Buddhism, Spiritism...etc. Although I do have some major issues with Catholism, but thats a subject for another time.

edit: i dunno wtf i was doin with the rest of that tangent.

DuBTEK3060
12-04-2006, 03:47 PM
great movie, but im staying off this subject...for my own good..

esunbaboon
12-04-2006, 06:01 PM
Yeah it's an amazing movie. I haven't looked at the religious part too much. But I understand what your saying. However if it is stating that religion is a conspiracy there is still a lot religious sybolism in it.(depending on how you interpert it). Some people think that Donnie is Jesus, because he has to sacrifice himself to save everyone. That the school is supose to sybolism a church and that the asian girl is an angel.

Personally that stuff seems a little over the top to me, but I can see how they can say that.

I don't think that our futures are preset and I don't think that we can time travel. I understand the wormhole ideas but I don't think that the universe can be traveled though by a Hawkings thoeries. The closest thing I think we will ever get is to reach very highspeeds in aircraft or spacecrafts. Who knows we passed the speed of sound maybe one day we'll reach the speed of light.:screwy:

These are my opinions take them as you want.

The Fountain was another movie that made me think about all this stuff.

WRXD
12-04-2006, 07:38 PM
Donnie Darko is an incredible movie, I have seen it a million times. For anyone that hasnt seen it, I reccomend you go out and see the directors cut- Its a lot longer but clears up a lot of parts of the movie that are a little fuzzy. I definitely had to watch the non-directors cut a few times before I really 'got it'

I don't really think that the movie has much to do with religion at all. It has more to do with pre-destination which does not necessarily imply religious or divine intervention. What to some people is God's plan or God's path, is simply pre-destination to others.

and I think the 'Donnie Darko is Jesus' theory is stupid--- some religious fundementalist is reading WAY too much into it.

Holy Hair
12-04-2006, 08:32 PM
yeah, i mean i'm still catholic, but it's just weird how religion works.
there are so many different beliefs.

sherwood
12-04-2006, 11:36 PM
i love that movie..saw it when i was like 16 for the firt time and thought it was crazy until i finally say down a few years ago and really watched it. its an amazing film

james_ls
12-04-2006, 11:55 PM
Never seen it.

Didn't actually know it had any real reasoning (religion, life, etc) behind it.

Have to watch that A.S.A.P.

20th1519
12-05-2006, 12:01 AM
Haven't seen the movie but plan to since i keep seeing posts about it every week. We are all time travelers.....just in one direction.

Holy Hair
12-05-2006, 02:10 AM
Haven't seen the movie but plan to since i keep seeing posts about it every week. We are all time travelers.....just in one direction.

this is very true

Gaze
12-05-2006, 02:29 AM
From the movie Dogma....

Rufus:...humanity took a good idea and, like always, built a belief structure on it.
Bethany: Having beliefs isn't good?
Rufus: I think it's better to have ideas. You can change an idea. Changing a belief is trickier. Life should malleable and progressive; working from idea to idea permits that. Beliefs anchor you to certain points and limit growth; new ideas can't generate. Life becomes stagnant.

...and like everyone else, this is about as far as I'm willing to dive into the subject of religion.

92talonTSI
12-05-2006, 10:25 AM
amazing...i watched in two years ago and turned it off halfway through it bored me so much. go figure :bigeek:

ILikeItSideways
12-05-2006, 11:15 AM
I need to see the movie all the way through...
I got distracted...

xEJ20x
12-05-2006, 12:12 PM
From the movie Dogma....

Rufus:...humanity took a good idea and, like always, built a belief structure on it.
Bethany: Having beliefs isn't good?
Rufus: I think it's better to have ideas. You can change an idea. Changing a belief is trickier. Life should malleable and progressive; working from idea to idea permits that. Beliefs anchor you to certain points and limit growth; new ideas can't generate. Life becomes stagnant.

...and like everyone else, this is about as far as I'm willing to dive into the subject of religion.

I recall the dialogue being vastly different in this scene.