PDA

View Full Version : Rate this setup.

Buster
05-31-2005, 01:01 AM
So after my horrid experience with Jeffro tonight, Ive decided that my car just isnt cut out for racing. Im slow... Real real slow.

So I think Im gonna take off my stock 17s and replace them with 15in Rotas, with Nitto NT555 rubber. Big fat rubber. Finish my suspension with Koni Yellows, and add in the NISMO front sway bar, Tie Bar and the Greddy Rear strut tower brace. and Hopefully do a better brake combo.

As far a perfomance, Im gonna find a way to put a new cat back exhaust on, and give it a high flow cat. And maybe have it tuned right.

Im just so dissapointed in the way the car is driving now. I know I might have something to do with it but i know I cant drive that bad. Any advise that doesnt involve me getting rid of the car would be awesome.

Aaron
05-31-2005, 01:04 AM
Drive a slower car for the day. Instant butt hp for yours and less money :thumbup:

MuddyREX
05-31-2005, 01:06 AM
If you go with 15 inch wheels, I doubt you'll be able to upgrade your brakes with anything substantial.

Buster
05-31-2005, 01:09 AM
I was gonna upgrade to the 2 pistion Q45 brakes with 11in rotors, much better stopping power. Spec V brakes eat ****.

MuddyREX
05-31-2005, 01:11 AM
Oh, I thought Spec-V's came with Brembo's.

LSHatch
05-31-2005, 01:42 AM
Not to be a dick, but learn to launch it.

Go sit in a parking lot somewhere and keep trying. You'll be amazed at the difference in just driving will do.

Jeffros Spec V
05-31-2005, 01:46 AM
Oh, I thought Spec-V's came with Brembo's.

On 04's and up brembos are an option.

Keith if you get 15's dependingon what sizes tires you get, your gearing will be crazy off. Chris was running 15's in the 1/4 and had to shift into 5th just to cross the line.

Though the lighter wheels will help with acceleration.

As for the tie bar and what not, I love them. As stiff as the car can be is always better :)

Silverfc88
05-31-2005, 02:44 AM
If your going to do a front sway bar you might as well do both to even the suspension up. Wouldn't putting just a front sway induce more understeer?

Do the spec-v's come with a lsd? What kind of tires are you running now up front?

the mike
05-31-2005, 08:31 AM
Get a decent set of 16's. Don't go down to 15's, your sidewall gets taller and sloppier. 16's will offer the weight savings, but you get to keep some of the sidewall stiffness.
If you can find a really lightweight 17, that is the best bet for handling. Maybe some SSR's? Problem is that light=pricey.

SmokeyBandit
05-31-2005, 08:39 AM
for drag racing...you might want to put some spring coil spacers on the rear to shift a little more weight to the front wheels -- sort of minimize the effects of weight transfer when accelerating hard. This comes with a drawback of some decreased top speed.

auto-x....adding a front sway bar may not be the wisest thing to do, since adding that induces understeer, however best bang for the buck is driver training. Take a SCCA-approved training course on auto-x. For the casual autocrosser, it is 90% driver and 10% car. (for competive Solo II events where drivers score points, the skill is more leveled and the emphasis shifts more to the cars)

1988 Olds
05-31-2005, 11:24 AM
I don't know much about the Spec Vs but don't go 15s. They are going took look and handle like ****. All the other guys are running 17s on. My friend has 17in Drag Radials and he launching pretty good.

LSHatch
05-31-2005, 12:29 PM
If you can find a really lightweight 17, that is the best bet for handling. Maybe some SSR's? Problem is that light=pricey.

That's kind of a bold statement Mikey. 17's don't necessarily handle the best. It all depends on a lot of different variables. I can personally see, after driving a Spec V, benefits from a 16 inch wheel. The car seems to need a little bit more tire and less wheel.

I did have fun beating on Jeff's car though. It likes to kick the rear end out even with the smaller tires on the front.

Jeffros Spec V
05-31-2005, 12:42 PM
I don't know much about the Spec Vs but don't go 15s. They are going took look and handle like *no cursing!*. All the other guys are running 17s on. My friend has 17in Drag Radials and he launching pretty good.

This statement made no sense whatsoever. Are you saying Spec V's can't handle good?

Jeffros Spec V
05-31-2005, 12:44 PM
If your going to do a front sway bar you might as well do both to even the suspension up. Wouldn't putting just a front sway induce more understeer?

Do the spec-v's come with a lsd? What kind of tires are you running now up front?

Spec V's come with a LSD. He is currently running Nitto Neo Gens.

I am not even sure you can buy just a front sway for our car. Its either: rear or front and rear together.

Jeffros Spec V
05-31-2005, 12:44 PM
I did have fun beating on Jeff's car though. It likes to kick the rear end out even with the smaller tires on the front.

Thats because of my spring rates...I love custom rates :)

1988 Olds
05-31-2005, 12:58 PM
No I'm saying going with 15s will make it handle worse then 17s cause of the huge sidewall. Not to metion it won't look good. How many imports do you see with 15s on them.

Jeffros Spec V
05-31-2005, 01:01 PM
Oh I gotcha.

Your first post made it seem like you were saying...don't waste the money only making it handle good cause it will look and handle like **** and you will still be running 15's (in the 1/4)

ahahahah

SexyDSM95
05-31-2005, 01:03 PM
No I'm saying going with 15s will make it handle worse then 17s cause of the huge sidewall. Not to metion it won't look good. How many imports do you see with 15s on them.
I see a lot....but they run single digits....

99SL2_Modder
05-31-2005, 01:09 PM
smaller wheels = faster acceleration

Bigger sidewalls are not always a downside. They DO make tires with stiff sidewalls for handling. Then again, they have a pricetag to match.

Jeffros Spec V
05-31-2005, 01:16 PM
Azenis = STiff sidewall :) :)

TheWraith
05-31-2005, 02:05 PM
Put some BFG drag radials on there and heat them up. Problem solved.
No need to change to 15" wheels.

LSHatch
05-31-2005, 02:36 PM
No I'm saying going with 15s will make it handle worse then 17s cause of the huge sidewall. .

Way off base there.

Weird how my car only came with 16's.

All of my Civics had 15's and they would easily outhandle many cars.

SexyDSM95
05-31-2005, 02:39 PM
People brag about these tires all the time. I don't think they live up to that reputation. I know a couple people with these tires and they complain about how they don't hook when at the strip. Or just how crappy they are on the road in general.

LSHatch
05-31-2005, 02:45 PM
I've seen cars pull 2.0's on them on FWD's. Not too shabby for a tire for handling.

Blackout
05-31-2005, 04:40 PM
I would say bring your car to the track and get some 1/4 numbers out of it. I dunno what kinda mod's you have done to the car but considering I had a 2002 Spec V and in stock trim I ran a 15.196 I would say that if you have anything above a mid 15 second pass then sorry to burst your bubble but the problem isn't you car its your driving. But don't get to down on yourself. As they say there's always someone faster so just because your car can't beat everything on the road doesn't mean its not fast. Its just not as fast as the guy that spent X amount of dollars in mods. But you could be lucky and beat up on guys that did spend that X amount of dollars in mods for their car *COUGH*LShatch*COUGH* ;)

99SL2_Modder
05-31-2005, 04:49 PM
People brag about these tires all the time. I don't think they live up to that reputation. I know a couple people with these tires and they complain about how they don't hook when at the strip. Or just how crappy they are on the road in general.

Azeni's are NOT a drag tire. You can get better tires that will hook up better on the strip, however in some cases, Azeni's will hook fairly well. They were not designed for drag racing and they are not a drag tire, period.

When launching with the Azeni's (which are a super heavy tire) and a lightened flywheel, you will smack into real low RPMs REAL fast. They were designed for autox, and drifters picked up on them as well since the old version (don't know about the new one) got greasy fairly quick.

*edit*
Also, they suck mad hardcore JDM balls if you try to run them wet or in the rain, due to lack of tread, so if they suck at burning out and don't get the water off without greasing the tire up, say goodbye to the traction you wanted off the line.

*edit 2*
205-50-15 Falken Azeni 215 (old style not new) = 21.5lbs.

They are extremely sticky cold, but they weight a lot. Between autox heats, they usually have enough time to cool down, but if you're running on road courses for long periods of time, you have to adjust your turns for the grease.

LSHatch
05-31-2005, 04:58 PM
I*COUGH*LShatch*COUGH* ;)

*Cough* Running on 3 blown spark plugs*Cough*

But, no excuses from me. :thumbup:

Blackout
05-31-2005, 05:01 PM
I*COUGH*LShatch*COUGH* ;)

*Cough* Running on 3 blown spark plugs*Cough*

But, no excuses from me. :thumbup:yeah yeah yeah! Like i haven't heard that one before! :thumbup:

Jeffros Spec V
05-31-2005, 05:30 PM
Azeni's are NOT a drag tire. You can get better tires that will hook up better on the strip, however in some cases, Azeni's will hook fairly well. They were not designed for drag racing and they are not a drag tire, period.

Exactly...they have super hard sidewalls which aren't a good thing for drag racing.

94RedReaper
05-31-2005, 06:15 PM

Exactly...they have super hard sidewalls which aren't a good thing for drag racing.

It is really going to matter what you want to set the car up for. Drag racing or Autocross.

You could always get a set of cheap rims w/some drag radials for the track. Put them on at home, go racing, drive home and switch them back to your stock rims.

If you go w/a smaller rim, get the right tire size so that the overall height of the combo is close to stock. Then you won't have to worry about running out of rpms as you near the finish line. It wouldn't hurt too bad to be a little smaller than stock. If anything it will probably improve your ET a little.

Coil overs are a plus in both handling and drag racing. The draw back is they are expensive.

I have heard that the Nitto 555R are great for the street. Apparently they are pretty sticky when it comes to launching. I have not seen this, but that is what people have said.

G/L w/your set up

Buster
05-31-2005, 06:55 PM
The Nittos that i have right now have a very very hard sidewall. I did it because I had a bad experience with tires that didnt.

Lshatch.. keep in mind my tach is completely off, and I am waiting to get an aftermarket one. So i really cant tell how high im lanching especially since ive been running my car for the last year with a really loud set up and now its very quiet so im still adjusting.

I have right now a lowering spring, stock strut, Z rated Nitto, Nismo rear sway bar, and stock brake set up. I want to improve upon that really.

LSHatch
05-31-2005, 07:01 PM
Why is your tach so off if it is stock??

Please don't get a 5" monster tach.

99SL2_Modder
05-31-2005, 07:03 PM
I have right now a lowering spring, stock strut, Z rated Nitto, Nismo rear sway bar, and stock brake set up. I want to improve upon that really.

Which corner? and does that make your car go slightly tp one side while driving? Is this what they call "ricer lean"?

LSHatch
05-31-2005, 07:03 PM

Switch to G/C coilovers with Koni Yellows. Get some better tires. Try out the Kumho Ecsta MX's. I absolutely love mine, they stick in turns and from a stop.

How has the new swaybar changed the handling of the car? More under/oversteer??

Change to braided lines, better brake fluid, and aftermarket brake pads. Getting a bigger brake set up has been proven to not show any real gains other then fade. But, you don't track the car, so fade won't be that big of a deal.

Buster
05-31-2005, 07:12 PM
the retard that owned the car before me, tried to put in these vynil inlays to make them white, remember thats why i have my rice-a-glow gauges. it was cheaper than to replace the cluster like nissan told me. they say its about 700 rpm off. I think its worse.

My Swaybar is set at zero. But it still produces alot of oversteer. SO I have no ricer lean!!! :D

Is everyone still going to the steak place tonight again?

LSHatch
05-31-2005, 07:16 PM
Oh I remember you telling me about that. So, drive by ear woman. :finga:

About the swaybar, why don't you just adjust it then and get rid of the oversteer? You don't necessarily need a front sway bar if your rear is adjustable.

99SL2_Modder
05-31-2005, 07:18 PM
they say its about 700 rpm off. I think its worse.

700!? Christ! Mine's only about 200 off, and that's cause I messed it up somehow.

Buster
06-01-2005, 12:07 AM
If i adjust it one way wont i have more oversteer one side and more understeer the other? I mean its real simple, just loosening and sliding brackets on the trailing arms but thats it. I just dont really mind the way it drives. I can take turns as hard as i like really and never have a problem. Actually I had the backend come out on me only once and i didnt have the sway bar on then. And the stock tires.

LSHatch
06-01-2005, 12:12 AM
If i adjust it one way wont i have more oversteer one side and more understeer the other? I mean its real simple, just loosening and sliding brackets on the trailing arms but thats it. I just dont really mind the way it drives. I can take turns as hard as i like really and never have a problem. Actually I had the backend come out on me only once and i didnt have the sway bar on then. And the stock tires.

I would really hope it wouldn't do that.

It's just going to adjust the length of the entire bar. It's always fun to play with suspension stuff though. You never know if you might find a setting you like more.

Buster
06-01-2005, 12:16 AM
I didnt really know why i bought it, I just knew it was something the car needed and didnt have. I honestly did make a big difference in handling. I should probably adjust it on the passenger side though right? Personally I really would rather focus on making more power. But cams, valves, and stuff are just to damn pricey. So i guess tuning the suspension is all I really have.

LSHatch
06-01-2005, 12:19 AM
I'd have to look at the swaybar. Come over Jeff's house one day and we will fiddle wiith it.

Buster
06-01-2005, 12:23 AM
Ill see if I can find a quick pic too. that would be cool to try it out for real. You are right I might find a better setting.

LSHatch
06-01-2005, 12:25 AM
Ripping around trying new stuff out is always fun.

Buster
06-01-2005, 12:33 AM
Speaking of which. One of the guys on the bikes from last night. I seen him tonight just passing cars on bidgetown and maple ave. While traffic was coming too. That dude is crazy. I followed him for a while and I think he got mad.

LSHatch
06-01-2005, 01:31 AM
You sure it was him??

Buster
06-01-2005, 06:59 PM
Black and yellow suzuki. He looked back at me.

WrxJC
06-01-2005, 07:04 PM
not much is mentioned on making it faster, if ya need handling, it all sounds good, but a cat-back(or anything else mentioned) isn't gonna give u what u want if u think your car is really slow.

Buster
06-01-2005, 07:20 PM
hey you live behind me!

Buster
06-01-2005, 07:22 PM
I know those wheels in your avatar.

I had planned for it, valves and valve springs, cams, cylinder heads, downpipe, catback, and the stillen ecu, plus a 75 shot for the power dept. And maybe the NISMO clutch.

jinteg730
06-02-2005, 10:22 PM
why dont u just turbo it, you prbably spend the same amount of money with ur list on these and youll beat jeffro with a good turbo setup lol

Buster
06-04-2005, 01:07 AM
The Qr25 really isnt meant for a turbo, and I drive my car every day and im on my 3rd engine. I really dont want to push for a fourth. As far as I know a 75 shot is more than enough to satisfy. I just want to make it better all around.

jinteg730
06-05-2005, 11:48 PM
but putting a nitrous shot in ur car will do damage too, build your motor n/a and then turbo it you will get sick of the nos after time, enless you visit the strip very often

Buster
06-06-2005, 01:41 AM
i guess ill just have to wait and see what happens.

piratius
06-06-2005, 02:08 AM
i guess ill just have to wait and see what happens.
That's usually the best way to do it :)

Buster
06-06-2005, 02:09 AM
man youre almost on my **** list!!

piratius
06-06-2005, 02:12 AM
Trying my best :)

Buster
06-06-2005, 02:14 AM
not hard enough!!