PDA

View Full Version : Gauge pod help

Crzyguy972
11-02-2006, 09:10 PM
Ok so this is my next small project. I personally love the look of this. Im automatic and n/a. I am planning to install a gauge pod like the one below in and have three gauges prob. water temp, voltage and oil temp. Problem is i have no idea how to install these gauges. Where could i go around the bucks county area to get these installed. Also because its more for show that practicality, what are the cheapest/best gauges to buy. I prefer to have a gauge that lights orange because the stock dashlight is a redish orange thanx.

http://www.sigma-hyperion.net/pictures/mazda6/Pod010.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/mazda2386/Picture004.jpg
http://www.sigma-hyperion.net/pictures/mazda6/Pod011.jpg

tjf
11-10-2006, 09:51 AM
try searching for SPW gauges, thats what I had in my old car they light up 7 different colors so you can make it match your stock gauges. Im looking for a triple A-pillar with matching gauges, its looks like we have the same reddish orange color backlight which could be hard to find, theres always autometer and aem but they can be kinda expensive. Have you checked e-bay?

SmokeyBandit
11-13-2006, 12:37 AM
So... are you ditching the Nav system on the 6?

Crzyguy972
11-14-2006, 09:45 PM
no not at all. My nav system is in the dash. I bought the metra kit wich gives me an opening. I removed the stock radio for nav

gsrboi80
11-14-2006, 10:16 PM
Whatever gauges you decide on will come with sensors to monitor the things you want monitored. For oil temp or oil pressure you will probably need to drill and tap. Water Temp as well. Some comany's car specific gadgets and such to tap into (ie... bunged thermostat housing to thread the Water Temp Probe into etc...)

Ebay gauges are fine if your going for show. Dont even bother hooking them up just hook up the lights cause if your looking to really monitor your engine they are not going to be accurate and if they are at first they wont for very long

Silverfc88
11-14-2006, 10:22 PM
Those Sport-Comps should do the trick. Also look at the Z-series gauges from autometer, I saw them for the first time at the Dyno day at Philly Dyno Works and I think they look great. They have a black face with black trim.

The wifes Talon has some Stewert Warner gauge and they are nice also.

Crzyguy972
11-14-2006, 10:22 PM
I am pretty much going for show, but if i dotn hook them up the needles wont move right. theyll just stay wont that look rediculous..

Crzyguy972
11-14-2006, 10:26 PM
quick question whats the emchanical gauge mean. it says no power to use, but odnt u need power for the leds and stuff. how does that work.

gsrboi80
11-14-2006, 10:30 PM
Yea it'll look ridiculous. It's rediculous to spend all that money getting things drilled and tapped, wired, getting a gauge pod, to not even know if what your looking at is correct. Spend the money for decent gauges rather than the 20 a peice specials on ebay. If you really want looks and percision buy Defi's and call it a day. Oh their 150-200 a piece not including the contoler box

SmokeyBandit
11-14-2006, 10:32 PM
For the temperature sensors and voltmeter--- they are electrical anyway.

You still need a 12V and ground connection for the lighting.

Mechanical gauges, such as boost/vac, oil pressure, etc... have the mechanical pressure sensor built into the gauge, where you need to physically run a line to them.

Cheap priced and good gauges? www.42draftdesigns.com --- VDO Vision series

where to install? Check out the TST vendors

gsrboi80
11-14-2006, 10:34 PM
quick question whats the emchanical gauge mean. it says no power to use, but odnt u need power for the leds and stuff. how does that work.

Mechanical gauges are just that (non-electrical). Defi's are electical (ie.. hooked up to sending units)

The mechanical gauges will still have two wires for the bulb inside so you can see them at night :cool: :thumbup:

LSHatch
11-14-2006, 10:35 PM
I've been happy with Autometer gauges. They are cheap and they work.

gsrboi80
11-14-2006, 10:36 PM
For the temperature sensors and voltmeter--- they are electrical anyway.

Mechanical gauges, such as boost/vac, oil pressure, etc... have the mechanical pressure sensor built into the gauge, where you need to physically run a line to them.

Correct

LSHatch
11-14-2006, 10:39 PM
Also, why don't you spend all that money on something that will actually help your car? There has to be something else out there you want. Suspension? Stereo? All of those will mostly be for looks and they will stand out more.

Crzyguy972
11-14-2006, 10:45 PM
Also, why don't you spend all that money on something that will actually help your car? There has to be something else out there you want. Suspension? Stereo? All of those will mostly be for looks and they will stand out more.

im done with my stereo, suspension and turbo will void my extended warranty that my parents gave me, since it is there car. and the only otehr thing i can do is intake which i am already looking to buy.

Silverfc88
11-14-2006, 10:45 PM
If you get some gauges get the electrical type.

Mechanical= Running hoses to the gauge from the engine bay
Electrical= Installing senders in engine bay and running wires to gauges.

Installing gauges are easier then what most people think. The easy way out for the water temp gauge is to tap into a coolant hose near the thermostat with an adapter "T" or you can just drill/tap a hole into your thermostat housing.

Oil temp and pressure can be a little bit more difficult. There are sandwich adapters you can buy just for this that install in between the oil filter and housing. There are other ways but you'll have to do more research on the 6 forums.

The power to the lights you just have to tap into your marker/parking lights or even a bulb like the cig lighter. So when you turn on the lights your gauges light up also. If your installing alot of gauges you might have to run a seperate power wire and use a relay.

Edit: Sorry for the reposted reply. I type super slow.

Silverfc88
11-14-2006, 10:50 PM
I've been happy with Autometer gauges. They are cheap and they work.

:iagree: I've never had a problem with mine. I'm thinking of changing my Sportcomps to the newer Sportcomps II's or even the Z-series.