PDA

View Full Version : HID problem

drew
10-31-2006, 06:41 PM
I installed a halo HID kit about a month ago and everything was great, then today I went to pepboys to buy some jackstands and when I was ready to leave I realized my headlights wont turn on, just my parking lights work. wtf is wrong ?

they don't even try to ignite, I can flip them on and off all day and nothing happens

Gorilla Unit 33
10-31-2006, 06:44 PM
check the fuse's? What kind of HID kit is it?

drew
10-31-2006, 06:46 PM
it's a halo kit, god damnit i'm going to be pissed if it was a fuse and my stupid ass was at pepboys and didn't think to check

05Accent
10-31-2006, 06:59 PM
yea i hate when that happens.. i did that with my lights before.. i went home and found out it was a fuse. i live like 2 minutes away but still.. teh gaS!

and hopefully thats the porblem also..

drew
10-31-2006, 07:23 PM
swaped my hi beam and lo beam fuses, still not working ( hi beams work with either fuse though, so it isn't the fuse )
edit; the headlight fuses are the big bulky yellow ones you can't see inside of, right ?

TROLL
10-31-2006, 07:25 PM
ok so its a wiring issue, but not on an individual light if neither work. its got to be something to do with a communal power or ground... you'll just have to go over everything to check for good connections. did it come with harnesses or were connections made properly, or was the wiring ghetto?

drew
10-31-2006, 07:28 PM
ok so its a wiring issue, but not on an individual light if neither work. its got to be something to do with a communal power or ground... you'll just have to go over everything to check for good connections. did it come with harnesses or were connections made properly, or was the wiring ghetto?

it came with everything, the ballast and igniter are the same box, and it isn't ghetto rigged so im pretty stumped right now

TROLL
10-31-2006, 07:38 PM
well like i said go over everything thats communal between the two sides. its not an individual bulb, ignitor, or ballast if both went out together, so... check all the wiring before that before it splits to each side... the problem is most likely there and you've already ruled out a lot of things.

antlip
10-31-2006, 07:39 PM
maybe you touched them putting them in and made them blow out quick. did you have gloves on when you installed the bulbs?

StealthTC
10-31-2006, 07:43 PM
Ballast, Where do you have the Ballast installed? If they go from hot to cold they will blow

ToTheIX's
10-31-2006, 07:50 PM
and im not so sure the fuse you checked was right...look at you manual or the lid of the fuse box and make sure you checked the right one

drew
10-31-2006, 07:59 PM
maybe you touched them putting them in and made them blow out quick. did you have gloves on when you installed the bulbs?

no way i touched them

and im not so sure the fuse you checked was right...look at you manual or the lid of the fuse box and make sure you checked the right one

according to the fuse box ( the one under my hood ) it was the correct fuse

edit; i mounted my ballasts under the headlight housing, 90% of the tib owners with halo kits mount them there

drew
10-31-2006, 08:36 PM
doubled checked everything, looks fine

im stumped, tomorow im trying to see if the regular h7 bulbs work or not

Gorilla Unit 33
10-31-2006, 09:19 PM
it sounds like a bad ground. make sure it didnt get loose cause things tend to loosen up on cars.

drew
10-31-2006, 09:26 PM
Ballast, Where do you have the Ballast installed? If they go from hot to cold they will blow

wait, wouldn't both ballast have to blow for both lights to stop working?

i'm going to tripple check all the wiring now

drew
10-31-2006, 10:23 PM
okay I just took both housings apart, checked the ballasts and all wires for anything abnormal, checked the aperance of both bulbs

nothing

W T F

drew
10-31-2006, 11:11 PM
http://y4ruh8.net/dyno/IMG_0946.JPG

both headlights are like this, ballast mounted in the same spot

drew
11-01-2006, 01:59 PM
okay I just took the HID's out, put regular H7 bulbs ( oem ) and NOTHING

it isn't the HID's, the ballast, or anything, it isn't a fuse ( I replaced the fuse this morning, defintitly not the fuse ) EVERYTHING else works, highbeams, parking lights, windows, sunroof, radio, heat, ac, horn, EVERYTHING electric, except my lo beam headlights works fine

I'm ****ing stumped, this is beyond anything I can take care of because I am far from electricaly inclined

im offering $100 cash if someone can meet up with me today and help figure this out

TROLL
11-01-2006, 02:03 PM
damn man before you spend a ton of cash to get this fixed, why not ask a friend to check it out. you know it'll end up being something stupid in the end so just get a fresh set of eyes to check it out and that might be all you need.

drew
11-01-2006, 02:16 PM
damn man before you spend a ton of cash to get this fixed, why not ask a friend to check it out. you know it'll end up being something stupid in the end so just get a fresh set of eyes to check it out and that might be all you need.

i only know a few people out here, i had my friend at school look it over with me after class but we both came to the conclusion that it's probably something electrical shorted out or something and we have no clue how to be sure

we did this;

bought new fuses, swaped them out ( with HID's in ) no luck

took the HID's out, checked everything, put them back in, double checked they were in correct ; no luck

took the HID's out completly, put some H7 halogen bulbs in, no luck

put the bulbs in the high beam slots to see if they worked, they did ( so we were sure it wasn't just bad bulbs )

followed all the wiring back as best we could to make sure nothing was missing, everything looked fine

checked all other electrical stuff ( lights, horn, radio, everything else.. )

all we can figure is that somewere between the battery and the housing a connection isn't being made

plus i have my girlfriend over and i can't even drive her home once it gets dark, so i'm in a rush to get this fixed

Tiny
11-01-2006, 04:09 PM
i only know a few people out here, i had my friend at school look it over with me after class but we both came to the conclusion that it's probably something electrical shorted out or something and we have no clue how to be sure

we did this;

bought new fuses, swaped them out ( with HID's in ) no luck

took the HID's out, checked everything, put them back in, double checked they were in correct ; no luck

took the HID's out completly, put some H7 halogen bulbs in, no luck

put the bulbs in the high beam slots to see if they worked, they did ( so we were sure it wasn't just bad bulbs )

followed all the wiring back as best we could to make sure nothing was missing, everything looked fine

checked all other electrical stuff ( lights, horn, radio, everything else.. )

all we can figure is that somewere between the battery and the housing a connection isn't being made

plus i have my girlfriend over and i can't even drive her home once it gets dark, so i'm in a rush to get this fixed

Do you know how to use a meter? Also, check your stock fuses to see if you blew the headlight fuse in the cars fuse panel under the dash.

ToTheIX's
11-01-2006, 04:20 PM
also, theres a chance you burned out the harness, it happened to me once when i used some ricer ass bulbs in my projectors in the eclipse, or maybe even the headlight switch.... both of them going at once just seems too much like its a fuse or bad ground

drew
11-01-2006, 05:07 PM
got it fixed thanks to rich at fuzion

antlip
11-01-2006, 05:25 PM
im curious of what it was.... if you dont mind posting it.

drew
11-01-2006, 07:22 PM
fuse

at first, i thought i was just a dumbass and missed it, but upon fixing it and getting home i realized that it's blowing the fuse the second i turn the HID's on, i went through 2 15 fuses when i got home, tomorow i'm going to install a relay and then toss in a 25 fuse

Erik
11-01-2006, 09:24 PM
keep us informed about it, careful though, if you run to high of a fuse(ie. a 20Amp instead of a 10Amp), wont you run a risk of melting wires? I may be wrong, thats just what i thought.

now im curious if im just mistaken on that. anyone know?

drew
11-01-2006, 09:27 PM
dunno, rich at fuzion said they're made to handle up to a 30, and he seems to know his **** so i'd trust him

he said once i put a relay on ( tomorow ) it wont matter, so ill probably just end up buying a replacment 15

TROLL
11-01-2006, 11:06 PM
hey wkderf... ya hear that? he needed a relay for his HIDS! haha :-p

drew
11-02-2006, 02:22 PM
christ

new ****ing problem

so I go to pepboys and get some new fuses, replace the blown fuse (15 amp ) and install a realy on my headlights, turn them on, driver side works! passanger doesn't ( WTF ) I drive home, double check the wiring, crank them on again, driver side blinks, passanger stays off, ****ing 30 amp fuse on the relay blows

what the **** i going on ?

antlip
11-02-2006, 05:04 PM
damn that sucks. try the fuse that was originally in there, 15 i think you said. a too big of a fuse is also bad.