PDA

View Full Version : Help with seats

wgknestrick
10-19-2006, 09:36 PM
I am now currently working on my third (yes 3rd) set of seats for the STI and I am thinking about a new set. I would like some input from people who have seen/sat in/owned/etc. aftermarket seats here. I am tired of purchasing some, then having them fade or wear poorly, but it is hard to justify big money on car seats.

Story goes like this:

1. STI stock seats. They suck, no bolstering, heavy, gone. Luckily I sold them in 2004 for $1500 (yes $1500+WRX seats)

2. 2002-2003 WRX seats. I covered these with custom leather /suede covers. Turns out blue suede faded in 1 year to purple (blued leather). Sold these after dying them back to a shade of blue. Slightly more bolstering, but my car started to make more gs than they could secure.

3. Chanced a purchase on fake, Ebay Bride seats. Same fading to sun, cheap cloth that doesn't hold up. Seats are very comfortable and supportive. I like them, but they really bring down my car. I was quoted an insane amount of money ($1500) to get them re-covered in Alcantara. This might have been a chance to rip me off, but I figure even at half of that it is still a tough decision.

I'd like to get a pair of 1 piece bucket seats as I intend to start racing my car once it is paid off next year. Loosing the extra weight would also be nice. I am not into brand names or label bragging, but I am into value and quality. I cannot justify $1600 to spend on a pair of seats, but I want them to be comfortable and hold up.

Idealy a pair of leather 1 piece buckets would be perfect for the durability, comfort, and look. Nylon is good too. I think I am out of the felt/suede/alcantara thing as all it seems to do is absorb dirt well.

I can fit anything in the car as I am very handy and quite a skilled fabricator.

Has anybody seen any of the cheap, China seats on Ebay? I am certain that there is a value buy out there as my Brides really aren't that bad outside of the poor choice of cloth on them. Please help

Bill

wgknestrick
10-19-2006, 09:43 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-SPOON-RACING-SEAT-JDM-MUGEN-S1-RECARO-BRIDE-OMP_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33701QQihZ014QQitem Z330040407369QQrdZ1#ebayphotohosting

Has anyone ever seen any of these? $100 a pair I can buy 6 of them and swap new ones in every 8 months.

D Money
10-20-2006, 12:08 AM
I am selling two sets of brides for my friends, one set is spoken for.

Bride Vios III non reclinable in black gradation. $1,450 +shipping with rails. Used for about 4 shows and taken out.

Bride Brix II, brand new never sat in. Someone has dibs already and I will not say who, but they are selling for $1,300 with rails. When I say these are new, they are new. lol I am sure that they are sold, but in the event that they aren't then maybe these might work out for you, but again they look almost definate.

Let me know if your interested in any of them. If I had to reccommend a seat, I would go with Bride XAX II's, the ones I currently own. I love the look and the low side bolsters for everyday driving.

EDIT: I apologize, I didn't read into your post enough. I guess since these seats are in the price range on what you do not want to spend, maybe a set of sparco's would be sufice. They look nice and bolster good, try them out. I believe they are fairly inexpensive.

WKderF
10-20-2006, 12:20 AM
check out the new NRG carbon fiber one piece seats:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1079648

Pm me if u like and I can possibly get you an unbeatable price on them.

they are identical in size & comfort to the sparco EVO2s.

TROLL
10-20-2006, 01:32 AM
another thing to consider depending on how you want to race your car is getting seats that meet whatever race ratings you'll need... something you probably wont find with any knockoff seats.

JSeoul
10-20-2006, 01:12 PM
I thought those seats were pretty hot for being a NoNamedBrand. But always remember, you get what you pay for.....

wgknestrick
10-20-2006, 03:36 PM
I am selling two sets of brides for my friends, one set is spoken for.

Bride Vios III non reclinable in black gradation. $1,450 +shipping with rails. Used for about 4 shows and taken out.

Bride Brix II, brand new never sat in. Someone has dibs already and I will not say who, but they are selling for $1,300 with rails. When I say these are new, they are new. lol I am sure that they are sold, but in the event that they aren't then maybe these might work out for you, but again they look almost definate.

Let me know if your interested in any of them. If I had to reccommend a seat, I would go with Bride XAX II's, the ones I currently own. I love the look and the low side bolsters for everyday driving.

EDIT: I apologize, I didn't read into your post enough. I guess since these seats are in the price range on what you do not want to spend, maybe a set of sparco's would be sufice. They look nice and bolster good, try them out. I believe they are fairly inexpensive.

Yeah, I am trying to avoid as much cost as possible, especially after just dumping $500 in a V-Mount intercooler, $XXX in a custom radiator, and about $200 in aluminum intake manifold supplies. But I am still looking at around $1000 for a decent set of buckets so why not just spend a little more and get a garanteed good seat?

Are the NRGs half decent? They look an aweful lot like the "Natami" brand CF replica shells with their own covers on them. Is the material a durable nylon or the general "Sparco" dirt absorbing cloth/fake suede?

Bill

D Money
10-20-2006, 03:41 PM
EDIT: Not buckets. lol

S4toSTI
10-20-2006, 03:55 PM
He wants buckets.

wgknestrick
10-21-2006, 11:32 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/911-996-BOXSTER-CARRERA-GT3-STYLE-CARBON-FIBER-SEATS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33701QQihZ012QQit emZ220034480805QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

What do you guys think about these? Supposedly they can be had for a little cheaper than posted. Real leather, memory foam, CF, oh and GT3 style recaros. They are probably something I'd never have the money to buy, but they shure look nice.

Bill

jimtweet
10-30-2006, 09:44 PM
i would not put my life in anything that comes from ebay man, sorry buy my life is way to important...if you want some seats i have a sparco hook up and will take you to a local distributor...let me know...

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y93/jimtweet18/Picture366.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y93/jimtweet18/Picture368.jpg

Jeffros Spec V
11-01-2006, 02:25 PM
I have CR1's by Corbeau, I like them :)

wgknestrick
11-01-2006, 07:11 PM
http://users.rcn.com/wgknestrick/NRG%20Seats%20001.JPG

http://users.rcn.com/wgknestrick/NRG%20Seats%20003.JPG

These just came in the mail today. I am sooooo happy I decided on these. I also got them for a steal and they are comfortable as hell being a Sparco EVO L bucket. Covers are of high quality and extremely light. Both of these weigh as much as one of my old seats.

I was able to get both shipped with side brackets for $830.

Bill

Ace
11-02-2006, 03:30 AM
Nice seats, but be very careful of what groups you plan to run with racing/hpde wise.

Those seats look VERY smiliar to teh SLP and MemoryFab C/F seat offerings....I am beginning to wodner if it's all the same stuff?

Granted they may or may not check, but all to often have we seen guys turned away at tech for having no name seats.

Ender81
11-02-2006, 04:23 AM
If I'm not mistaken he doesn't race