PDA

View Full Version : How To: Crank Pulley Install

012.5RS
10-13-2006, 06:08 PM
PRE SWAP:
This swap is not difficult at all, it took me approx 1-1/2 hours and that is with removing both fans. If you follow my steps and use the pictures anyone can do it. If you don’t have many tools, the tools can be picked up from Sears(buy Craftsman, they’re worth the money). The belts and idler pulley can be picked up at any GOOD auto parts store. I hope this helps people and good luck. Some people recommend placing the breaker bar on the ground and just cranking the engine, but rather be safe since it is my crank pulley and do it slowly by hand. You can do it either way you wish.

Items Needed:
New Crank Pulley
10mm Socket
12mm Socket
22mm Socket
3" Extension
6" Extension
3/8" Ratchet
Breaker Bar
New Belts - Recommended
New Idler Pulley - Recommended

Step 1: Belt Shroud Removal
Remove bolts 1, 2, & 3 with a 12mm socket. Then loosen bolt 4 with a 12mm socket.
Step 2: Alternator Belt Removal
Loosen bolt 1(12mm) so the alternator can move freely. Then loosen bolt 2(12mm), this bolt will move the alternator up and down.
Step 3: A/C Belt Removal
Remove bolts 1(12mm) & 2(12mm) to remove the tensioner pulley. At this point I’d recommend replacing the tensioner pulley as with mine I could hear the bearings spinning.
Step 4: Coolant Overflow Bottle Removal
Remove bolts 1 & 2(12mm). Remove hose from bottle and pull out. Place bottle somewhere out of the way.
Step 5: Driver Side Fan Removal
Unplug the fan motor. Then remove bolts(10mm). Then it will take a little wiggling but you then can pull the fan straight up. Place it out of the way and remember which side it came off(just to make it easier going back in).
Step 6: Passenger Side Fan Removal
Same as previous step
Step 7: Pulley Removal
At this point you’ve got WIDE open room. Take the 22mm socket and place it on the crank bolt. Then put your breaker bar on the socket. Get someone to sit in the car, put it in 5th and hold the brake. Rotate the bar counter clockwise(standard thread). It will come out but you gotta be gentle. Rotate to the left about ½" then rotate back to the right the same. Repeat this about 2 or 3 times. Then it should be loosened up so you can turn back to the left and it should come out nice. You might get a sudden jerk when the nut breaks free since it was under A LOT of torque. At first I thought I snapped the bolt off but it was perfectly fine.
Step 8: Pulley Installation
Place new pulley on the engine. Remember there is a key hole, so if it doesnt go flush the first time rotate it a little. Now thread the pulley bolt back on, and with the same person in the car with it in 5th and holding the brake torque it down with the breaker bar.
Step 9: Reinstallation Of Everything
Basically this is the exact same steps just reversed so you can use the same pics if you need to. But one thing I found that will make life so much easier is put the A/C belt tensioner back on first(before you put the fans back in) that way you can adjust while its on the engine and not have to keep taking it off and putting it on. After that just reverse your steps and enjoy your quicker revving engine.

012.5RS
10-13-2006, 06:10 PM
the rest of the pics

Orbit
10-13-2006, 08:07 PM
Good write up. I did manage to skipp steps 4,5 and 6 when i did mine . you have a diffrent car though , so you might have less clearance. i dont know.

012.5RS
10-13-2006, 08:50 PM
thanx man, just trying to bring more tech info to the forum. no didnt have the clearance, i could get the socket on the bolt but then the breaker bar wouldnt fit.