PDA

View Full Version : installing amp on stock headunit

Sberk06
10-13-2006, 09:53 AM
ok so im not really a nube here anymore but i didnt know were else to post this..
i was installing my amp and subs on my stock headunit and cant get it to work
i installed a line out converter connected to my stock amp running off of the rear right and rear left speaker wire to intercept the frequency.. i ran my remote wire to what appears to be the radio ignition wire behind my headunit (the blue wire) and installed a switch in between that and the amp so i have the ability to turn the amp off when i dont want to hear it.. i have all of the wires run, its grounded good, the rcas are plugged in, and the power wire is connected, as well as the speakers being connected...
im running into 2 problems right now though..
(yes i had the amp tested the other day and it works fine, i took it to HR audio and everything works perfect, i heard in powering subs.)

1.) nothing comes out of the subs whether its on the radio or a cd but the amp still powers on soo im guessing it has something to do with the line out converter..
2.) whenever my car is off for a few hours, the headunit CODE pops up so basically everymorning i have to put the code in again and the time.. which is such a pain in the.

does anyyone have an idea what is wrong?
im really trying to keep this headunit because honestly i like it, and it matches the car the best.

Cutlass372
10-17-2006, 12:33 AM
I hooked my subs up the same way and it works great, however, Instead of hooking the ignition to the headunit i just ran off the stock amp since that already has one (didnt have to remove the headunit). Im not really sure what it could be if everything has a good connection and is tight. It might just be that u have a bad convertor? or the converter is not turned up? Make sure that the converter is turned up or it wont play (should have knobs or screws to turn it up or down). Other then that you might just wanna get a new convertor.

Cutlass372
10-17-2006, 12:37 AM
Just read your post again. I think you may have spliced the remote wire into the constant power? (that is how the time is kept and presets, etc). I would suggest just taking the remote wire off the headunit and sticking it on the stock amp. Give it a try... it cant hurt.

Sberk06
10-18-2006, 12:21 AM
thanks man, i think i figure out the problem... the converter for some reason wasnt picking up the frequencys off the wires for some reason. i swapped them around a little and it works great now..
but that was a waste of time lol, im getting a pioneer 6800 on saturday lol.. thanks again