PDA

View Full Version : TYPES of HEADERS

JSeoul
10-12-2006, 08:45 PM
Hey Everyone. I currently looking into purchasing DC Sports 4-2-1 Headers. I was just wondering what the differences are between the Ceramic, Brushed & Polished types of Headers besides the pricing. I've searched the Forums and didn't find any threads on it. Can anyone help. Its for my new 06 Acura RSX Type-S. :thumbup: -JSeoul

Crzyguy972
10-12-2006, 08:50 PM
idk but welcome to tst

TROLL
10-12-2006, 08:51 PM
woah... in the future just try to put your posts into the right section... i'll move this one over for you.

JSeoul
10-12-2006, 09:20 PM
Yeah, i'm sorry. I still havn't figured this whole Forum out yet. Thanks Troll.

xEJ20x
10-12-2006, 10:02 PM
Hey Everyone. I currently looking into purchasing DC Sports 4-2-1 Headers. I was just wondering what the differences are between the Ceramic, Brushed & Polished types of Headers besides the pricing. I've searched the Forums and didn't find any threads on it. Can anyone help. Its for my new 06 Acura RSX Type-S. :thumbup: -JSeoul

You're gonna want a header that has good heat retention properties. Because keeping heat in the piping allows the exhaust energy to remain higher, which promoted better exhaust flow.

Coated mild steel will be at the bottom of the list. The best material for any form of exhaust is either 304 (which is the minimum grade that should be used, 321 is the preferred grade) stainless steel or inconel (which will only be used in custom-made applications).

Shop around and ask questions from the manufacturers about what the headers are made from and what your power goals are.

But before I forget to answer your main question. For your current header of choice. I would pass on the Ceramic coated DC header. Its made from mild steel. The polished is made of the 304 stainless and would be a good choice.

I'll avoid gettin into products from Burn's Stainless, but DC should be fine for your application.

libteclipse
10-13-2006, 12:35 PM
DC (race and shorty), Mugen (race), Toda (race), SSR (sixsigmaracing), Comptech (race and shorty), Jackson Racing (discontinued), BuddyClub, ITR 4-2 and 2-1 or you, if you wanna stay 'legal', keep the ITR 2-1 with cat and put on the Spoon 4-2, Spoon also makes a 2-1 catless.. ther mite be more..

with any raceheader, you will need either esmm's (energy suspension motor mounts) and/or a TD (torque dampener) in order to keep the header from cracking under torque load..

if i think of anythin else ill post it..

JSeoul
10-13-2006, 06:33 PM
I appreciate all the information from you guys. My brother told me to get a racing Header and not a shorty due to the shorty not really doing anything but making the headers "prettier than stock". Is that true? I also didn't know I had to buy ESMM's. I am new to the tuning world and been reading blogs & treads like crazy. So hopefully DC Sports 304 stainless steel should be good? DC Sports Headers are ones I've heard are good. Do you guys suggest any other Headers. Thanks. - John

xEJ20x
10-13-2006, 09:40 PM
Mugen, Spoon, and Toda are always high quality parts.

libteclipse
10-14-2006, 02:14 PM
yea, shorties do absolutely nothin really.. RH is where the gains are. For the horsepower/dollar ratio, DCRH is your best bet.

ESMM's only cost about 20some bucks, but installation is harder than a torque dampner which costs about 120..

CHR!S
10-15-2006, 08:46 AM
Mugen, Spoon, and Toda are always high quality parts.

theyre overpriced, and you can easily get other headers that will perform the same/better for cheaper.

dc race, ssr, dtm, hytech, comptech, jackson racing... all good headers for the k20 motors. ssr, dtm, and hytech are about $1k though

lude98SH
10-15-2006, 11:08 PM
How far do u plan to go with the car ? In the future do u plan on staying N/A or go turbo ? What future mods ? Do you want to stay street legal ? These are all questions you must answer before you buy a header. Also DC typically isnt a very good upgrade from stock its really the best cheap header you can buy IMO.

JSeoul
10-16-2006, 01:33 PM
Well I plan to get the basics such as the CAI, Headers and Exhaust for now. I don't plan on getting Turbo/SC for about 7 years or warranty runs out. I guess I just want to pull away from the other Type-S' in my area.

TurboTagTeam
10-16-2006, 03:15 PM
I'm not sure about the K series but differnt brands of headers put out a large range of power for the b series.

I'm prettty sure that DCSports headers are only a 7-10hp gain at tops. Were as High-Tech, Toda, spoon headers have been known to gain as much as 20hp.

JSeoul
10-16-2006, 03:29 PM
Okay, I think i'm starting to understand now. But i've been reading that there are headers that aren't street legal? Whats this all about. Will I not be able to buy certain aftermarket performance parts cause they aren't legal for my car. I'm lost on that.

TurboTagTeam
10-16-2006, 06:23 PM
Most headers are illegal. THere are some that are legal (greddy, DCSports) but most of the time the street legal ones suck.

We live in PA, not Cali. 99% of the time cops don't car what is under the hood as long as you are obeying the traffic laws.

JSeoul
10-16-2006, 07:35 PM
Oh ok. well thats gay. Sorry for all those in Cali then I guess.

AMF Racing
10-16-2006, 11:18 PM
all depends on how much money you want to spend.....dc actually makes the most power on the rsx, but is one of the cheapest. some people have broken them, others haven't had any problems.....i had a dc on my rsx for over a year the flex pipe cracked, but i had it replaced with a spring bolt connection and didnt have another prob with it. i now have a comptech which is a much better header, but cost about 3 times as much. i have a 2 week old ceramic dc race header in my closet i will sell for about 250 its in perfect condition, and new they sell for around 400......either way you go with race headers you are going to want some type of motor mount...i had the esmm inserts and tore 3 rears so i up-graded to the enjo race mounts. they are loud, but are far superior to the esmm....

edit: also with a race header your going to need some sort of device for your rear 02 sensor. either electronic($60) or mechanical($5). if you want my dc get some motor mount inserts, and bring $250 and i'll install it with the mounts for you, and make you a mechanical o2 defouler......

JSeoul
10-17-2006, 08:50 AM
Don't think I'd go with your ceramic for 250. After everyone feeding me knowledge on the types, Ceramic is a no go. Sorry. I found some DC Sports Brushed Stainless 304 on AutoAnything for $488.95 /fs. So soon as I find a better deal for those, I think I might be leading towards that. Thanks though.

AMF Racing
10-17-2006, 05:19 PM
Don't think I'd go with your ceramic for 250. After everyone feeding me knowledge on the types, Ceramic is a no go. Sorry. I found some DC Sports Brushed Stainless 304 on AutoAnything for $488.95 /fs. So soon as I find a better deal for those, I think I might be leading towards that. Thanks though.

yeah people have had probs with the ceramic, but i had the flex pipe replaced with a better connection for like $50, then it was fine and still way cheaper. stainless is def better, and if you watch you can find used comptech's for pretty cheap. i got mine with the adapter for like $450....if i were you i'd stay away from race headers with flex pipes, i have nothng bad probs with flex pipes......get a comptech and you'll have no probs....

CHR!S
10-17-2006, 05:27 PM
Most headers are illegal. THere are some that are legal (greddy, DCSports) but most of the time the street legal ones suck.

any 'race' header for the K is designed to replace the stock cat

JSeoul
10-17-2006, 07:48 PM
Yeah, I hear nothing but good things about Comptech. I'll definitly have to consider that. Hey CHR!S, i'm kind of lost on your post.... can you dumb it down for me?

Dan@FSM
10-18-2006, 02:52 AM
If you like I can give you a quote on either the DC stainless or the Comptech (we are direct dealers for them). We can get you an excellent price on either shipped to your door.

Dan

JSeoul
10-18-2006, 07:35 AM
Thanks Dan. I'll have to check you guys out. I looked on the FSM site but didn't find anything in the "store" tab. Is there another link? or do you have to call them up on it?

Dan@FSM
10-18-2006, 12:48 PM
Yeah sorry, our website is lacking to say the least. Its best to call us, thanks.

JSeoul
10-20-2006, 01:32 PM
Yeah, i'll try and give you guys a call later on next week. I don't get paid til the 1st. Thanks again. - John