zerioustt
10-03-2006, 01:31 PM
Interesting read...should make for some interesting discussion

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Loserkidwac
10-03-2006, 01:53 PM
Interesting read...should make for some interesting discussion

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

I read that a while back, someone posted it on HMT...it is very interesting and he acctually has evidence from several motors to support his methods...

TurboTagTeam
10-03-2006, 10:52 PM
I read that awhile back. It's a big debate on rotary engines too. I allways broke in my motors softly, better safe than sorry.

OptiCon
10-04-2006, 09:52 AM
I like his little "other engine myths" thing at the bottom...
Smaller Intake Ports Gain 7 % More Power !!
O RLY!? I'll have to try that on my turbo car!!

Ass.

Loserkidwac
10-04-2006, 10:10 AM
I like his little "other engine myths" thing at the bottom...

O RLY!? I'll have to try that on my turbo car!!

Ass.

FI and N/A cars have completely different therories...for FI there is never "to big" but for N/A there is, have any proof to back up your criticism, does he reference that to turbo cars?

sponsored1
10-05-2006, 05:02 PM
FI and N/A cars have completely different therories...for FI there is never "to big" but for N/A there is, have any proof to back up your criticism, does he reference that to turbo cars?

In both applications the ports can be "too big." If the volume of the port is shaped a little incorrectly, the airflow will actually "ramp" over certain areas of the port. In some heads you can gain some velocity by filling in the areas of the port that the moving air isnt actually touching, thus making the head more effiecient. The flow numbers will increase slightly and the velocity of the port will go up as well.

Same goes for forced induction, just on a lower level. It doenst hurt it as much because the air is pressurized, but if the port size is larger then the area the valve can flow, your still limited as to airflow. This will create pockets of "dead air" in the ports, hurting performance. Remember, the pressure in your intake manifold is a function of effiencency. The more effiecient the engine, the the less boost you will need for the same amount of airflow.

noclutch
10-05-2006, 08:27 PM
I always break engines in via the "mototune" method. My current engine was broken in that way on the street, then trailered to the dyno then right to the track. Still has perfect compression after 3 beatings at the track.

And like sponsored said port size is important on ANY head. Too big and you lose velocity, FI or otherwise.