PDA

View Full Version : tires

HatchSurfer3
09-27-2006, 02:40 AM
Ok well i need new tires, right now im on khumo ecsta 712s. They saw a little bit of snow, but not too much and they seemed to do ok. Im wondering if i really need an all season tire or if i really can use a a summer tire in winter and get away with it. I was thinking of maybe switching to the parada spec-2s or the AVS ES100s. What does everyone thing?

TROLL
09-27-2006, 02:58 AM
this is not general car related chat...

HatchSurfer3
09-27-2006, 02:46 PM
Well i went thru and didnt see anything for tires.....figured suspension and brakes were for just that...but ok

92dxman
09-28-2006, 10:00 AM
Ive never done it before but using a summer tire for the winter isnt the best idea. You would be better off with an all season tire with a better tread.

Here is a search over on Tirerack for a 94 SI:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/SelectTireSize.jsp?autoMake=Honda&autoModel=Civic+Si+Hatchback&autoYear=1994&autoModClar=

You could always go with Falken Ziex 512's. Great money for the cheap:
http://www.vulcantire.com/ze512_60_t.htm

HatchSurfer3
09-29-2006, 02:56 PM
yea i search tirerack already, but i hae 16s so its not so much car specific anymore, thanks tho.

Im just curious if anyone used any of the tires in winter at all so i know if its ridiculously bad, or just somewhat not as good as the summer tires

D Money
09-29-2006, 03:00 PM
I used to have Yokahama Prada spec 2's and I loved them. With my new wider wheels however they don't make them in the correct size so I went with Falken Azenis rt-615's.

HatchSurfer3
09-29-2006, 03:10 PM
I used to have Yokahama Prada spec 2's and I loved them. With my new wider wheels however they don't make them in the correct size so I went with Falken Azenis rt-615's.

How are they during the winter d?

D Money
09-29-2006, 03:21 PM
Um, good. I used to rip off-ramps in March at like 80-90mph lol.

I was always a summer tire guy all year round, **** this all season **** lol.

spoolinLSsol
09-29-2006, 04:09 PM
the rt-615's are real nice thats what i run all year

D Money
09-29-2006, 04:28 PM

Since when did you have them?

TROLL
09-29-2006, 05:02 PM

all year? whats the over/under on you making it through the winter like that?

D Money
09-30-2006, 05:05 AM
I run mine all year too Troll. Why is that so hard to believe?

TROLL
09-30-2006, 01:02 PM
because if you drive your car in temperatures below 40-50 degrees the rubber on the tires hardens up into bricks and has 0 traction, even on dry roads... its not meant for it. and on snow or ice they are even more of a death trap. i'm not sure there is anything less intelligent you could possibly do in your car.
unless of course it just sits in the garage all winter, then you're ok i guess. i would never run summers when the weathers is in the 40s or below though...

05OCsrt-4
09-30-2006, 01:30 PM
i run whatever is cheaper on my honda, for those of you that have seen it, you know why

EvlEgl
09-30-2006, 02:30 PM
I worked for goodyear...People think tires arent all that important and hat rubber is rubber...but think about it. Its the only part of your car touching the road and its the most important thing when driving.

When I bought the talon it had Kumho's on it...they had plenty of tread left...But I drove it in my first rain storm and went to work the next day and bought 4 Goodyear Triple Treads and Love them.

The ES100's arent a bad tire I put 2 on a GTO for the front's the only thing I heard him say was they would flatspot sometimes when the temperture changed...but after about 10 minutes of driving it would be fine...and they would catch the grooves in the road on occassion.

Personally I like Falken Tires, for the summer there rubber compound is soft and they get sticky quick. I put 4 Azenia's on an Evo awhile back and he Love'ed them...P.s to all Evo Owners 275's on an EVO = BadAss.

Anyway Just think about what your doing with winter coming up...Most tire places will cut you a deal if you need your tires switched like if you have a set of winter tires and a set of summer tires...Take the time to do it right.

EvlEgl
09-30-2006, 02:32 PM
Oh and D...your comparing AWD to FWD...granted when its snowing AWD can still spin...but It's always been my belief that you can get awau with a more aggressive performance tire on an AWD car before you can on a FWD or RWD car.

But I'd still rather have All seasons on there during rain and snow.

TROLL
09-30-2006, 03:18 PM
and regardless of fwd, rwd, or awd... every car brakes with all 4 wheels / tires... and thats where it counts a lot of the time in an emergency situation on a public road. dont assume that awd is unstoppable with any tire in any conditions...

D Money
09-30-2006, 03:40 PM
sorry for the debate. haha

I was just kiddin because I don't drive my car in snow. lol

Orbit
09-30-2006, 07:00 PM
love my pirreli pzero nero m+s. They work awesome at the track, in the rain and are good in the snow.

TROLL
09-30-2006, 08:53 PM
sorry for the debate. haha

I was just kiddin because I don't drive my car in snow. lol

yeah daily driven my ass. maybe you meant to say monthly driven (but only on average).

SmokeyBandit
10-01-2006, 05:19 PM
Ok well i need new tires, right now im on khumo ecsta 712s. They saw a little bit of snow, but not too much and they seemed to do ok. Im wondering if i really need an all season tire or if i really can use a a summer tire in winter and get away with it. I was thinking of maybe switching to the parada spec-2s or the AVS ES100s. What does everyone thing?

It's your money & insurance rates. At minimum you need all-seasons. All-seasons are made for light snow.

Summer tires + snow is a recipe for disaster. My roommate tried it on his STI...it wasn't fun the day after a snow storm.

Remember, accelerating, braking, steering, etc... all are dependent on traction.

I do 17" summer tires and in the winter 16" snow tires--- also because I go snowboarding a lot

HatchSurfer3
10-02-2006, 11:27 PM
well i dont wanna go blizzaks or anything, i dont have 2 sets of wheels, so i need something i can use all year round. Im probably gonna go with some high performance all seasons