PDA

View Full Version : Philly dyno works Reputation?

jc8889
09-21-2006, 01:22 AM
Give me your input for philly dyno works. thanks

eastsidesuby19
09-21-2006, 01:23 AM
I went there last December, Dyno day...dudes are pretty cool. Not sure of the head guys name, But there all pretty chill guys. I think its like 85 for four pulls, with A/F

StealthTC
09-21-2006, 02:21 AM
Made 2 appts to have my car dynoed there, both occasions I show up and there was a "scheduling" issue.
I went to CARv2 in Delaware, 3 runs for $75 on the Dynamometer with A/F
Not too sure about the AWD dyno if you have a GSX.

andru1313
09-21-2006, 09:02 AM
Good place we had an event there last year. Had a group rate on the dyno. I would recomend it!!!

TalonTsi97
09-21-2006, 09:15 AM
I been there at least 8 times, dynoed twice and had friends dyno. Nothing but good things to say. They go out of there way to help anyone, i seen them do some very generous things.
jc8889 why dont you join in on the philadelphiadsm dyno day?

TrboChicsRock
09-21-2006, 09:18 AM
I had my car dynoed there. They were all really cool guys.

MrGudbar99
09-21-2006, 09:23 AM
i've never heard anything bad about them. we have events down there a lot, in fact, we are planning another dyno day there right now. if you wanna go, get ya name on the list...there are a bunch that have already signed up. it's open to all cars, not just dsms.

here's the link...

http://philadelphiadsm.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5371

from the one we just had a couple months ago...
http://philadelphiadsm.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4753&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180

Intercooled T
09-21-2006, 09:23 AM
yea, I went to the event last year too, was pretty good, their name is 'cinq' on here I believe...hit 'em up, good guys

Raven18940
09-21-2006, 09:50 AM
Other than trying to taking out my ignition cartidge while my car was running they were good. Actually it's a very easy mistake to make as my car is strange that way and I don't blame them at all. Good people, I'd recommend them, just watch them if you've got a SAAB.

RayArroyo
09-21-2006, 10:11 AM
awsome guys

SexyDSM95
09-21-2006, 10:12 AM
They lovvveee my license plate

Intercooled T
09-21-2006, 10:20 AM
Other than trying to taking out my ignition cartidge while my car was running they were good. Actually it's a very easy mistake to make as my car is strange that way and I don't blame them at all. Good people, I'd recommend them, just watch them if you've got a SAAB.

I remember when that happened, you were like No. They were like Yes. You were like No, trust me. lol

jc8889
09-21-2006, 12:08 PM
Im asking because my buddy dynooed his near stock wrx, and his dyno numbers read something like 218hp, and 392 torque. WHICH is WAY off.

underpressure02
09-21-2006, 12:25 PM
Im asking because my buddy dynooed his near stock wrx, and his dyno numbers read something like 218hp, and 392 torque. WHICH is WAY off.

They are very good guys. Richy and Eric go out of their way to help you. I held a dyno day there when I flew mase up to tune my race car and other cars. We had issues with my motor and I had to pull my head. They not only let me pull my head at their shop and use all of their tools they also helped which they totally did not have to. We did not could not get the head back on the car that night and I had to come down on Sunday which was Mothers day. They were not even planning on being opened. They opened the shop so I could finish up the head and threw the car back on the dyno and we tuned for hours.

They also bought everyone at the dyno day food and drinks which again they did not need to.

Just remember a dyno is supposed to be used a tuning tool not as a penis measuring tool. If you want that go out and run your car and see what your trap speed is. I see tons of people that post high dyno numbers then go out and run their car and their trap speed is no where near what the dyno said they were making.

jc8889
09-21-2006, 12:43 PM
They are very good guys. Richy and Eric go out of their way to help you. I held a dyno day there when I flew mase up to tune my race car and other cars. We had issues with my motor and I had to pull my head. They not only let me pull my head at their shop and use all of their tools they also helped which they totally did not have to. We did not could not get the head back on the car that night and I had to come down on Sunday which was Mothers day. They were not even planning on being opened. They opened the shop so I could finish up the head and threw the car back on the dyno and we tuned for hours.

They also bought everyone at the dyno day food and drinks which again they did not need to.

Just remember a dyno is supposed to be used a tuning tool not as a penis measuring tool. If you want that go out and run your car and see what your trap speed is. I see tons of people that post high dyno numbers then go out and run their car and their trap speed is no where near what the dyno said they were making.

I usually go to xotic, but there prices have gone up alot. I just need an hour to tune my car, with realistic corrrect #'s.

TalonTsi97
09-21-2006, 01:27 PM

Me and eric talked all about this, most places would never do anything like that for you.
My buddy dyoned there but and his torque numbers were up but they said it was cause of the signal the plug wires gave. I seen a few cars come out with more toque then it looked but i seen more cars come out fine then with soemthign that looked off.

D Money
09-21-2006, 01:45 PM
Edit: I don't care enought to fight about how accurate PDW's dyno is.

TalonTsi97
09-21-2006, 02:58 PM
Philly dyno works reads high last time I checked. Xotic is the dyno to go to. Stage 4 wrx's with fmic's were putting down 240whp, at philly dyno works they would be 300whp+ lol.

lol im doubtin that, from a lot of cars i seen that put out exactly what was expected and even dynoing my car at xotic and then at pdw. Im pretty sure its good.
There prices are great, the owners are really cool, and its a very relaxed place. I have nothing bad to say bout xotic either, but pdw is so close and have a lot of good things going for it. I say if your in no major rush to have it dynoed then come to the philadelphiadsm dyno day in november and see for yourself, then maybe even throw it on that day.

D Money
09-21-2006, 03:08 PM
I never said the shop or owners weren't cool. I have also heard that they are a stand up place and good to work with. All I said was that their dyno reads high, even the thread started stated his buddies stock wrx dyno'd 215whp and 390wtq which is way wrong. A stock wrx maybe puts down 170whp and close to that in wtq.

jc8889
09-21-2006, 03:28 PM
When I dyno, I want to have accurate #'s

D Money
09-21-2006, 03:30 PM
Edit: I don't care enough to fight about how accurate PDW's dyno is.

TalonTsi97
09-21-2006, 03:41 PM
That whole message wasnt directed towards you just what i said about the dyno reading low. If it reads high then some people spent way to much money on there setups and my motor must be blown. I guess it depends on the car and what signal it picks up and shows on the screen. Obviously everyone who goes to a dyno wants accurate numbers. Everything i seen from there has been pretty much exactly where it should be. Just my opinion, like i said if your in no rush come out to the dyno day and see what you see and then decide.

eastsidesuby19
09-21-2006, 04:20 PM
Demitiri your *ucking crazy, your brain washed by the places you go to. Philly dyno works are very accurate. I dynoed at 2 places before i got tuned and they were both the same. And for the price, and the location of Pdw....you cant beat it. And either way your cars slow, just sell it and start over with somting fast.

underpressure02
09-21-2006, 04:24 PM
Me and eric talked all about this, most places would never do anything like that for you.
My buddy dyoned there but and his torque numbers were up but they said it was cause of the signal the plug wires gave. I seen a few cars come out with more toque then it looked but i seen more cars come out fine then with soemthign that looked off.

Obviously most places would not do this for you. That is why I pointed it out. I have been several dynos all around the country with Mase and also on my own and I don't know of any shop that would have went out of their way like PDW did.

I actually use to go to xotic back when they were working out of the chicken coupe. I even had a dyno day there a few years ago at the new shop. While it was good we also had a huge conflict with Art and he flipped out like he usually does and told everyone to leave and almost got into blows with Mase outside. Not a good enviroment to hold a dyno day and to much drama that I did not need to deal with when paying them hundreds of dollars to rent the dyno for the day.

D Money
09-21-2006, 04:40 PM
Demitiri your *ucking crazy, your brain washed by the places you go to. Philly dyno works are very accurate. I dynoed at 2 places before i got tuned and they were both the same. And for the price, and the location of Pdw....you cant beat it. And either way your cars slow, just sell it and start over with somting fast.

haha you dynod at txs too, that dyno reads incredibly high. Didnt you claim 317whp on a vf34? Ask any knowledeable subaru owner knows a vf34 at max will never clear 300whp on a dyno that reads right. You think my car is slow? That means alot coming from someone with a stock sti....

JDM87
09-21-2006, 04:59 PM
ill rep pdw till the day i day. Im a good friend of erics', hes a stand up guy and does what ever it takes to make the customer happy. I had both my cars dynoed there and they were acurate numbers. I would recommend them over anyone else.

G1GSX
09-21-2006, 06:15 PM
iv been to two dyno days there and dynoed once never had a problem. here is the thing no one will like every where and someone will always complain about something you wont know till you try it out don't take someones word for it.

a2low240
09-22-2006, 09:45 AM
While it was good we also had a huge conflict with Art and he flipped out like he usually does and told everyone to leave and almost got into blows with Mase outside. Not a good enviroment to hold a dyno day and to much drama that I did not need to deal with when paying them hundreds of dollars to rent the dyno for the day.

hah I can totally see this happening.

As far PDW's dyno, the numbers are SPOT on. I have dyno'ed plenty of cars there and not one car read low or high. In todays world I'm sure you all have dealt with your average grumpy mechanic / performace shop owner. Eric and Richie are very patient with their customers and really that's a breath of fresh air in this industry. There are dyno's closer to me but I still goto PDW. The fact is that these guys love this $hit as much as you do. There will always be smack talk beacause it's not easy to please everyone.

koho2731
09-22-2006, 09:54 AM
okay when I went to them to have my Spec V tuned they had no clue on how to tune. Which ment I had to do all the tuning myself. The dyno was setup wrong with the atl and humidity way off so I have know idea how much my car really put down. All I know it was atleast 25 whp low due to trap speed and every other turbo'd Spec V made more power then me. I will say the guys were cool, but I'll be going to Xotic Motorsports to get the Talon dyno'd when ever that may be.

*edit* I should add that I was like the 3rd car on thet dyno ever so that really didn't help them out much *edit*

TalonTsi97
09-22-2006, 01:55 PM
okay when I went to them to have my Spec V tuned they had no clue on how to tune. Which ment I had to do all the tuning myself. The dyno was setup wrong with the atl and humidity way off so I have know idea how much my car really put down. All I know it was atleast 25 whp low due to trap speed and every other turbo'd Spec V made more power then me. I will say the guys were cool, but I'll be going to Xotic Motorsports to get the Talon dyno'd when ever that may be.

*edit* I should add that I was like the 3rd car on thet dyno ever so that really didn't help them out much *edit*

I figured you were one of the first there with that. They have been tuning a lot of cars lately from what im hearing, and if they dont knwo how to tune it they can bring someone in who specializes in whatever engine managment you have to do.

koho2731
09-22-2006, 05:35 PM
I figured you were one of the first there with that. They have been tuning a lot of cars lately from what im hearing, and if they dont knwo how to tune it they can bring someone in who specializes in whatever engine managment you have to do.
It was just a SAFC II so very basic. That is cool if they can bring some one else in to tune, but it really didn't help me out much.

Gizmo-tC
09-23-2006, 03:46 PM
i had my tC tuned there last week end. They were very helpfull and just really cool guys.

lagos
09-23-2006, 09:25 PM
When I dyno, I want to have accurate #'s

there are a lot of things that can give you different dyno numbers. time of day, weather are 2 basic ones. the other thing you have to remember is the Correction Factor. some people use STD, SAE, or UNCORRECTED. those are ment as adjustments for different altitude levels. and last but not least.... the type of dyno can give you different numbers. philly dynoworks uses a dynojet, while something like a Mustang dyno, or Dynapack, will not be 110% the same, because of how they are designed.

there is also the possiblity of a problem with the car, that made if produce different power levels. ive even seen the igniton pick up, mess up for a second and give someone very strange numbers. post a copy of his dyno sheet and runfiles (all 4 of them) and tell us how much power do you think he sould have made.
===========

i dynoed my car there once. very AWESOME guys and great customer service. you can tell that they really care about your car. on my first run i had suffered unexpected detonation. they went out of their way to help me troubble shoot the issue, and never rushed me through the runs. my final numbers were right in the ball park of what i expected from the car. ill definetly be going back there again

koho2731
09-23-2006, 11:34 PM
there are a lot of things that can give you different dyno numbers. time of day, weather are 2 basic ones. the other thing you have to remember is the Correction Factor. some people use STD, SAE, or UNCORRECTED. those are ment as adjustments for different altitude levels. and last but not least.... the type of dyno can give you different numbers. philly dynoworks uses a dynojet, while something like a Mustang dyno, or Dynapack, will not be 110% the same, because of how they are designed.

Good points, but when they have the dyno set up for 4500ft and atmospheric conditions of 30.1 in-Hg absolute pressure , 0.3 in-Hg vapor pressure, 91.9 *F, and 17% humidity it makes it impossible to make accurate corrections. Using a correction calculator it came up with a 1.206 putting me @ 343.028 whp over the 284.48 whp uncorrected :roll:

lagos
09-24-2006, 12:09 AM
umm... well ... i dont know much about the dynojet setup process or how they decied to factor in weather conditions, but if you notice a problem, its probably a good idea just to email them about it or say something during your runs.

you can really tell those guys are not out to trick or cheat anyone. maybe there was a problem or mistake on their part. im sure they would quickly correct it if anyone pointed out a problem to them. but by no means are they a bad place to dyno your car.

koho2731
09-24-2006, 08:40 AM
umm... well ... i dont know much about the dynojet setup process or how they decied to factor in weather conditions, but if you notice a problem, its probably a good idea just to email them about it or say something during your runs.

you can really tell those guys are not out to trick or cheat anyone. maybe there was a problem or mistake on their part. im sure they would quickly correct it if anyone pointed out a problem to them. but by no means are they a bad place to dyno your car.

I did say something to them about the alt setup and they said it didn't mater :roll: and all the rest of the rest of the crap I did see until I opened up the files at the house. BTW I'm not trying to say they are a bad shop just I had a some what bad experance from them. They were how every very nice and help full and as I said before I was like the 3rd car on the dyno so they were still learning how to run the dyno

turbo4g63
09-24-2006, 09:21 AM
i would probly go there to get my car tuned but i just can't stand alex...when i posted on phillydsm.com he acted like a complete douchebag when i had to back out on a dyno day...i couldn't make it b/c my clutch took a **** on me...he was blowing me crap because i wouldn't dyno my car w/ a clutch that would slip horribly if i boosted at all

JDM87
09-24-2006, 06:25 PM
whos alex? i dont know of anyone that works there named alex...

SpendOne
09-24-2006, 07:35 PM
Alex works there ocassionaly since he lives in Maryland. He tunes DSMLink and AEM.

lude98SH
09-27-2006, 12:20 AM
Ive heard some bad things about their business practices from other shops but Ive never been there personally

underpressure02
09-27-2006, 04:45 PM
Ive heard some bad things about their business practices from other shops but Ive never been there personally

Such as? You can not just post you heard bad business practices and not post any information.

koho2731
09-27-2006, 04:50 PM
Such as? You can not just post you heard bad business practices and not post any information.

No **** what did they do? You need to have details to say things like that.

lude98SH
09-27-2006, 07:40 PM
I was talking to a guy at a shop in newark and he said that he doesnt like their business practices. He said he didnt feel it was his place to really talk about other shops in a negative light. So he didnt really give me any specific things, I would still check it out though.

lude98SH
09-27-2006, 07:41 PM
Im not badmouthing them or anything im just restating what was said to me, in order to hopefully better inform people.

TurboTagTeam
09-27-2006, 09:56 PM
I'v heard many negative things about philly dyno works. A few of the guys from rx7forum.com were about to sue them. I'v heard of many cars blowing up on that dyno while in a tunning session.

lagos
09-27-2006, 10:03 PM
I'v heard many negative things about philly dyno works. A few of the guys from rx7forum.com were about to sue them. I'v heard of many cars blowing up on that dyno while in a tunning session.

umm...how could someone sue over their car blowing up, when they are the ones who push their cars to the max? if that was the case, then every dyno in the world would get sued. when you put your car on a dyno, and push it to the max, chances are it WILL blow up.

G1GSX
09-27-2006, 10:22 PM
:roll: im sueing the gas station because i ran out of gas

TurboTagTeam
09-28-2006, 04:26 PM
A professional should be able to tune cars without them blowing up.

lagos
09-28-2006, 10:33 PM

your kidding right? anything can happen when u build up a car to make more then factory power, and try to tune it. thats the risk we all take, when we decide to modify our cars. even the best "tuner" in the world has a few blown motors under his belt.

sleeperstyle
09-30-2006, 12:56 PM
tune your own car on the dyno-

i've been there a bunch of times watching friends dyno (turbo vr6, evo) and they are all good guys.

turboteg
10-02-2006, 10:24 PM
I guy thats comes in my work sometimes deals with them and he only had nice things to say. his car puts down good numbers for whats hes got

has anybody had a aem ems tuned there before
or has anybody heard about there ems tuning skills ?

TROLL
10-02-2006, 10:42 PM
heresay is for the lose in the internet!!

TalonTsi97
10-02-2006, 10:45 PM
I guy thats comes in my work sometimes deals with them and he only had nice things to say. his car puts down good numbers for whats hes got

I knwo the guy who tunes aem and dsmlink there. He went to cali to aem's facility to be trained to use it. I seen him tune alot of cars from safc's, to dsmlink to aem. Great guy and he knows what hes doing.

Gorilla Unit 33
10-02-2006, 11:21 PM

Nick there Main guy there (richie) has a 400+whp GSR motor in his Del sol. im going there in two weeks to have them chip and tune my p72. if you want to go we can go the same day if u want.

lagos
10-03-2006, 02:24 AM
best thing about that del sol, is that it looks bone stock and beat up..lol

turboteg
10-03-2006, 08:00 AM
best thing about that del sol, is that it looks bone stock and beat up..lol

my car should fit right in

KawBoy
10-17-2006, 05:31 PM
When's the next Dyno Day? Looking for a place to Dyno Tune my TSI AWD with DSMlink

JDM87
10-17-2006, 10:24 PM
my mr2 was ems tuned. Runs flawlessly

TalonTsi97
10-17-2006, 10:51 PM
When's the next Dyno Day? Looking for a place to Dyno Tune my TSI AWD with DSMlink

check philadelphiadsm.com Everyone is trying to get one set up for sometime in November

C'DALERIDER
10-18-2006, 11:01 AM

This is true to a point. The fellow dynoing the car should be looking at gauges, a/f and monitoring knock some how (extremly important if you ask me!!), and any sign of trouble he should back off right away. However, anything can happen and im sure it does. The last thing someone wants it to mess up a car and get oil all over his dyno, so i doubt anyone is doing in intensionaly :finga:
I dont have any input on the shop the OP is refering to however, with Andy at the helm (new owner) of Xotic, its alot lot better :supz: . A dyno is a tuning tool. if you go to one dyno reading at 300hp and leave after a tune at 320, you probably gained 20 hp:mrgreen: Who cares what it reads on another dyno, go to the track and get some real numbers, or race D or Huff :thumbup:

TurboTagTeam
10-18-2006, 11:16 AM
THe reason for my post was that i'v heard alot of bad things about them. I certainly would not take my car there after hearing the things I have heard. but if it's differnt people running it now than that's different.

TalonTsi97
10-18-2006, 02:53 PM
THe reason for my post was that i'v heard alot of bad things about them. I certainly would not take my car there after hearing the things I have heard. but if it's differnt people running it now than that's different.

The same people have always been running pdw since it opened. The guy Eric who is the owner, and richie who i always see working on the cars that are there for work. Im just curious to what people are hearing thats bad, i been there enough times that i woulda picked up on something.

SPOOLINnPULLIN
10-28-2006, 09:20 PM
yo just dyno your car, stop bein a plug, besides my talon is gonna bust your ass anyway.

jc8889
11-07-2006, 09:51 PM
yo just dyno your car, stop bein a plug, besides my talon is gonna bust your ass anyway.

You still drive your little sisters car?

BoM
11-13-2006, 10:00 PM
i dynoed there in the summer with my friends GTI. All them were nice peepz.
It's a great local dyno.

underpressure02
11-14-2006, 03:23 PM
i dynoed there in the summer with my friends GTI. All them were nice peepz.
It's a great local dyno.

BOM why don't you return my pms or phone calls.