PDA

View Full Version : ej20t or ej22t?

Black_Rain
05-10-2005, 10:50 PM
Ok... I have a 98 impreza L... w/ 151k on the odo... i was going to buy a turbo kit this week...could get it real cheap and a lot of fun...but then quickly realized...i'm on stock clutch and everything... yes tehre is 151k on my clutch...trust me

so anyway... i'm looking into doing a full out swap within the year... but i cannot decide between the ej22t or ej20t (current wrx)

Price is a big thing considering i'm in school...and broke... but i would really like to hear what you guys have to say about it... availability, reliability, cost, time, effort....that type of deal... thanks in advance

i also know an ej22t can be pounded w/ boost...but i'm not looking for a 500 hp beast... just a nice...very sporty car...

i have the suspension...now i need the engine...

thanks again

TROLL
05-10-2005, 11:13 PM
the EJ22T is going to have more displacement and is also a much stronger block. even if you arent looking for crazy power i still think it would be an excellent choice.
when you say that price is a factory, which costs more? i honestly dont know what prices are for either of these...
and if you are doing a swap definitely look into some version 6 RA gears... they wont cost that much more than stock wrx gears probably and they are much better (not invincible, but definitely stronger).
bryan

capaGC8
05-11-2005, 12:21 AM
ej205 + rs tranny/rear diff + upgraded clutch = budget swap
this way is also upgradeable with a ej257 block if the 2.0l isn't enough for ya, and bolt-on parts are a lot easier to find then any hybrid, which can sometimes cause fitment issues.

the ej22t is also a good option... with rs/wrx heads you could run a USDM 02+ wrx ecu with an ecu reflash and handle a decent amount of power, but reliablity is definitely an issue.

is this going to be your daily driver?

the mike
05-11-2005, 09:28 AM
Where's Pete? He is in the middle of trying to do the logistics on a 5speed swap and an EJ22T swap.

teh DIRT
05-11-2005, 10:41 AM
here i am! wait what are we talking about. :finga:

okay heres the dealio from my perspective:

the ej205 (current WRX motor) isnt where its at. Its a pretty weak motor (i hope im not offending anyone) and it doesnt pack the punch of a 2.2 and 2.5 liter. So for me thats outa the question.

Now we look into price, an ej257 is going to run you a few grand while an ej22t from a 91 legacy (oil cooler and piston squirters bishes) will cost at the most 800. So now you saved a bunch of cash on the motor and have a few dolares left for a rebuild. The bottom end should be fine since its forged to hell. Pistons may be a good idea and heads are a must. USDM single cam RS heads flow the best out of all subaru heads.(tested by Cobb) Now just throwing them on is a bad idea since they have NA cams. You can swap Cobb's turbo cams on there with an improved valvetrain and have great heads for you turbo ej22t.

You probably thinking ej22t block and ej25 heads wont work. They do, they bolt up, its that easy. Only sacrifice is a little compression because there is a squish area. If you are serious about this goto www.car-parts.com and search for your engine. Then email all of the yards that have it or better yet call them. These people can be talked down a significant amount.

Good luck with you decision, its a lot of hard work but its worth it in the end.
-pete

teh DIRT
05-11-2005, 11:03 AM
oh and turboing you stock ej22e is a horrible idea.
-pete

Black_Rain
05-11-2005, 11:13 AM
thanks....this thread helped me a lot...i think the decision now is obvious... ej22t...

i'll start saving and doing research... thanks!

teh DIRT
05-11-2005, 11:14 AM
if you are on www.rs25.com. Talk to "wedge" he did this exact swap and made 300hp easy.
-pete

the mike
05-11-2005, 11:34 AM
Don't forget to take your tranny into consideration.
I would use the 2.5RS trans over a WRX trans(or find an STi 6 speed :cool: ).

teh DIRT
05-11-2005, 12:18 PM
yeah. when you get into the 300hp brackets you want to consider, as bryan said, RA gears.
-pete

Black_Rain
05-11-2005, 02:54 PM
yeah...thanks... i'm pretty sure my tranny wont hold any more power than stock right now... hopefully my clutch holds out until i start the swap

capaGC8
05-11-2005, 04:55 PM
as much as i love the ej22t the ej257 is still a better option - think about it... you can get a ej257 block for less than $1500 from various vendors and it's brand new. as opposed to the ej22t, which are usually either high mileage or tired as all hell.

so instead of swapping in the ej22t and either rebuilding it right awawy/down the road or you can have a brand new block and not have to worry about anything... granted the ej22t comes with forged internals and is closed deck, but the ej257 has already proven to be a very potent motor in stock form except in extreme applications.

are you sure the rs heads are the best? did they test the v8 spec-c heads in that comparison?

if you are going the rs head route you might want to consider swapping to a shim under bucket design for extra durability when considering high revs you'll lose when going with na heads...

another reputable vendor - http://www.techworkseng.com/Products/Subaru_Engine_Cams.htm

TROLL
05-11-2005, 05:04 PM
i think i read above that price is an issue here... i dont know the specifics on the options, but i'd guess that you are tripling the cost of the parts here with the direction you are headed...
bryan

Black_Rain
05-11-2005, 06:33 PM
well thanks for the info guys... i'm really just testing the waters... i know i want to do a swap...and i'm serious about doing it... but i need the money first... so next major mod will be the swap... i wanted to do a prelim. "investigation" of the options before i make up my mind... This thread was really helpful...thanks to all that contributed...