PDA

View Full Version : attention: i want to mod.

CHAOS
09-06-2006, 12:40 PM
so ive decided that im going to ditch the warranty and start modding. more info when i get home from work and post a list of the stuff i plan on purchasing :)

Ender81
09-06-2006, 12:47 PM
Is this a Notice of Intent as if you were building an office complex or applying for a liquor license? Will there be public debate later, on what you should get and wether or not you should be allowed to do it? lol post up that list man, let's see what you are thinking.

Renegade_
09-06-2006, 12:50 PM
Sweet - If you ever need help, send me a PM or the such

JoeScooby
09-06-2006, 01:13 PM
:wink: Access Port

TROLL
09-06-2006, 01:20 PM
shall i start typing my argument for exhaust, alcohol, and a tune now? :)
i'm pretty sure you've already heard it but what a simple list of mods for ~330 whp and ~360 tq. if i owned an STi that would be my complete power mod list...

D Money
09-06-2006, 02:07 PM
That one kid made 330whp, 400wtq on 93 and 50/50 meth. That setup costs no more than $2,000 with the tune included.

Ender81
09-06-2006, 02:24 PM
That one kid made 330whp, 400wtq on 93 and 50/50 meth. That setup costs no more than $2,000 with the tune included.

*drool* :devil:

CHAOS
09-06-2006, 04:11 PM
well im not 100% on brands right now but here are the power mods i want to do:
- uppipe
- external wastegate
- bellmouth DP with a provision for the EWG
- intermediate pipe to my Genome axleback
- alcohol injection
- ecutek tune (access port is pointless when Xotic is so close to me)
- stealth/black FMIC
- some sort of intake
i definitely want to get SS brake lines,new pads (hawk HPS), and maybe some slotted rotors, im definitely getting some new shift bushings and rear end bushings...

as far as other key exterior mods go:
jdm lightweight bumper beam
jdm fogs
v-limited lip
06 rear roof spoiler
and a few others

i think ill be doing pretty well after that...

oh and many thanks so far to people who have been helping me learn (brian, jake, justin, andy, etc)

let me know what you think

D Money
09-06-2006, 04:16 PM
Sounds like a sick setup. I guarantee Andy would recommend a Perrin Big maf for that setup, which most of us run.

sesolcSTI
09-06-2006, 04:20 PM
Why not save the uppipe money......you're already catless in that department. :wink:

sesolcSTI
09-06-2006, 04:22 PM
P.S. Do yourself and get some steering rack bushings, such a great/cheap mod. Your steering will be 293723967239672369723592183 X's better!

CHAOS
09-06-2006, 04:23 PM
Sounds like a sick setup. I guarantee Andy would recommend a Perrin Big maf for that setup, which most of us run.

word ill look into that..

CHAOS
09-06-2006, 04:23 PM
P.S. Do yourself and get some steering rack bushings, such a great/cheap mod. Your steering will be 293723967239672369723592183 X's better!

any brand u recommend?

CHAOS
09-06-2006, 04:24 PM
Why not save the uppipe money......you're already catless in that department. :wink:

im sure the stock up pipe design can be improved upon as far as smoothness of flow and **** like that

sesolcSTI
09-06-2006, 04:28 PM
any brand u recommend?

I have the Prodrive rack bushings, like $40ish. Im very very happy with them, unbelievable improvement!

D Money
09-06-2006, 04:31 PM
I was looking into those, what do they do? Can you tell that much of a difference?

sesolcSTI
im sure the stock up pipe design can be improved upon as far as smoothness of flow and **** like that

Im sure, but as far as how much improvement, i dont think its much. The uppipe is exactly the easiest part to swap out either. I made pretty good numbers with just a catless dp, catback, and Accessport Stage 2 (see sig). Those would be my first mods.....or you could do Ecutek instead of the Accessport. And def some springs, haha. That will get you a good start until you decide to add alky, etc. Just my opinion, best of luck to you! :thumbup:

TROLL
well you should get an uppipe so it can be welded for EWG if you decide to go through with that, otherrwise i would recommend you just leave the stock uppipe in place.
as for steering rack bushings... whiteline.
as for front mount... save your money, its not going to be very beneficial on the stock turbo.

sesolcSTI
09-06-2006, 04:32 PM
I was looking into those, what do they do? Can you tell that much of a difference?

D, the steering response is greatly improved. Ex. You know how when you are at highway speeds and the steering feels "floaty" or sloppy? It stiffens all that up, so if you turn your wheel a little, you ACTUALLY turn, hahaha. Hard to explain.

D Money
09-06-2006, 04:34 PM
D, the steering response is greatly improved. Ex. You know how when you are at highway speeds and the steering feels "floaty" or sloppy? It stiffens all that up, so if you turn your wheel a little, you ACTUALLY turn, hahaha. Hard to explain.
really? Kinda like the response you get when you turn an evo? How hard are they to put in and where can I get them? I mean, you can't beat $40. Sign me up, lol.

CHAOS
09-06-2006, 04:37 PM
well you should get an uppipe so it can be welded for EWG if you decide to go through with that, otherrwise i would recommend you just leave the stock uppipe in place.
as for steering rack bushings... whiteline.
as for front mount... save your money, its not going to be very beneficial on the stock turbo.

after what ive learned about the ewg i cant not do that lol...

D Money
09-06-2006, 04:40 PM
Yeah. I went to xotic with Greg and Andy kept talking about it, then we heard Greg's car and I was like wtf is that! I am getting that, then I read more and more and they are so benificial to our cars. Sooo, now everyone has/wants one lol.

sesolcSTI
09-06-2006, 04:40 PM
really? Kinda like the response you get when you turn an evo? How hard are they to put in and where can I get them? I mean, you can't beat $40. Sign me up, lol.

Haha, not quite to evo status, but very much imporved (on the STi's rack anyhow). Mike and I did mine and the one bushing is a breeze to put in, the second takes some coaxing, but if you are patient you can get it. Do a search for steering rack bushings. Prodrive, Whiteline, etc. will probably all be just as good. Think i got mine from rallysportdirect.com? Try some vendors out on here, they can probably snag some for you.

CHAOS
09-06-2006, 04:45 PM
Yeah. I went to xotic with Greg and Andy kept talking about it, then we heard Greg's car and I was like wtf is that! I am getting that, then I read more and more and they are so benificial to our cars. Sooo, now everyone has/wants one lol.

does it still sound the same with it routed back into the exhaust?

D Money
09-06-2006, 04:48 PM
Thanks bro! I think I have seen them before, but I didn't want to try the job out because it seemed like it would be a mess. I guess I will just have one of my friends slave it out, because I have no patience and would kick a huge dent on the fresh paint if I got mad enough lol.

D Money
09-06-2006, 04:49 PM
does it still sound the same with it routed back into the exhaust?
No, then it's quiet and doesn't make noise. I assume you will get the flutter still but no loudness like you want.

ScoobyNubieToo!
09-06-2006, 04:56 PM
Yeah but he'll need a different up pipe if he's going EWG.

CHAOS
09-06-2006, 05:01 PM
yea i def dont want it too loud. it should sound pretty mean with the genome.

sesolcSTI
09-06-2006, 05:05 PM
Yeah but he'll need a different up pipe if he's going EWG.

Right, I understand that. Unless he is doing the ewg right off the bat, then dont worry about doing the uppipe. Thats all. It's all good in the hood. :)

CHAOS
09-06-2006, 05:23 PM
why not do it right off the bat... no sense in tuning twice if you dont have to

TROLL
09-06-2006, 05:47 PM
the power gains to be had from an EWG can only be realized if it is dumped, and if you do that it will be loud when you go full throttle, no way around it. you could get a small muffler to put on your dump tube which will quiet it down some, but it will still be considerably louder.
if you plumb the EWG dump back into the exhaust you will gain good boost control from it, but you will not gain the efficiency and lowered backpressure (= more power) like you would by dumping it to the ground.

chaos, if you're ready to pick up some of the bushings now, i am placing the order for the fender braces very soon and could probably save you shipping costs. check out www.turninconcepts.com to see what they carry and let me know.

D Money
09-06-2006, 05:56 PM
Thanks for asking if I wanted bushings BT.

CHAOS
09-06-2006, 05:57 PM
yea i was goin to buy from them... i dont really have the money right yet

CHAOS
09-06-2006, 05:58 PM
Thanks for asking if I wanted bushings BT.
theres a bulk buy :partyman:

D Money
09-06-2006, 06:00 PM
theres a bulk buy :partyman:
Yeah I know, but me and BT go way back! He used to babysit me when I was just a young todler.

CHAOS
09-06-2006, 06:04 PM
the power gains to be had from an EWG can only be realized if it is dumped, and if you do that it will be loud when you go full throttle, no way around it. you could get a small muffler to put on your dump tube which will quiet it down some, but it will still be considerably louder.
if you plumb the EWG dump back into the exhaust you will gain good boost control from it, but you will not gain the efficiency and lowered backpressure (= more power) like you would by dumping it to the ground.

well **** lol... i guess ill have to deal with it being loud...

TROLL
09-06-2006, 06:05 PM
ha, d if you want bushings let me know.

as for the EWG, i dont understand why people are concerned about the noise... i mean anyone who has any type of exhaust on their car... its loud when you go full throttle. nobody is low profile at full throttle because even the subtle exhausts start ripping at full throttle and high rpms... this is the only time the EWG gets loud, so what? your car wont be kind of loud--it'll be really loud--but only at full throttle which is kind of a violent experience alltogether.

wgknestrick
09-06-2006, 06:07 PM

chaos, if you're ready to pick up some of the bushings now, i am placing the order for the fender braces very soon and could probably save you shipping costs. check out www.turninconcepts.com to see what they carry and let me know.

I don't agree with this statement. You WILL realize power gains from an EWG reguardless of where the wastegate gasses are plumbed.

All turbos that run off EWGs have much smoother internal geometry compared to internally gated ones. They will always make more power all else being equal because they are naturally more efficient. The EWG system flow is much smoother compared to that of an internal. The dump tube only starts to become an issue once you start getting to the maximum flow of your exhaust. On a 3" exhaust, this isn't until up around 600hp worth of CFM. You CAN raise the flow ceiling of your exhaust system by a dump tube because you effectively add another 2" DIA exhaust worth of flow to it. My point is that not everyone will be at this point with their car.

You may loose a HP or 2 compared to a dump tube, with the delta increasing the higher the HP output. But back in reality it isn't much of a difference at 400-450hp which is about the HP limit of pump gas on our cars.

BTW, I made 393 whp on a mustang dyno with my EWG system plumbed back in before I built my engine.

CHAOS
09-06-2006, 06:11 PM
interesting... anyone have more info on dumped vs plumbed?

CHAOS
09-06-2006, 06:12 PM
ha, d if you want bushings let me know.

as for the EWG, i dont understand why people are concerned about the noise... i mean anyone who has any type of exhaust on their car... its loud when you go full throttle. nobody is low profile at full throttle because even the subtle exhausts start ripping at full throttle and high rpms... this is the only time the EWG gets loud, so what? your car wont be kind of loud--it'll be really loud--but only at full throttle which is kind of a violent experience alltogether.

it not about being loud... its about the sound... like i dont want that sound i want the sound of my exhaust ya know, external waste gates are so loud they drown out the actual exhaust

TROLL
09-06-2006, 06:15 PM
My conclusion was based off of the discussions I have had regarding exhaust backpressure, efficiency, and timing caused by turbulence of wastegate gases mixing with exhaust gases, and my understanding was that this was the main component in making more power with an EWG setup.
I am also interested to hear more about how the efficiency of the wastegate will help power output, but regardless I know that wgkblahblahblah has more experience on the matter than I do.

CHAOS
09-06-2006, 06:23 PM
my ultimate resource is the dyno lol...maybe ill just put a mini electric cut out on the wastegate tube and see how it works

D Money
09-06-2006, 06:26 PM
my ultimate resource is the dyno lol...maybe ill just put a mini electric cut out on the wastegate tube and see how it works
haha. lol That might work lol.

CHAOS
09-06-2006, 06:43 PM
that gets my vote for cutest mod. lol

"aww look its opening.... HOLY **** YOU HEAR THAT?!"

cody
09-07-2006, 04:02 PM

If you get these, you should post up how you like them. There are many autocross connoisseurs, including me, out here in Colorado that have Subarus. Many of the 04-05 owners that have installed these bushings think that it was almost a waste of money. They said it helped the response very little. The 02-03's are different, and I have read reviews that these owners love them and they seem to make a bigger difference than the newer models. I may be considering getting some my self.

CHAOS
09-08-2006, 10:33 AM
the first parts have been purchased... TiC klunk killer kit, TiC super shifter kit and pivot bushing. i had to start somewhere :)

CHAOS
09-10-2006, 01:46 AM
so i found out today my credit limit got bumped like i wanted... im gonna order some **** now... i dont think itll be any power mods at first tho... we'll see.

CHAOS
09-10-2006, 07:20 PM
well so far the purchased list is:
- shift linkage bushings
- rear end bushings
- uber rare JDM gauges (youll have to wait to see them, those of you that know me should know what they are)

a few of the websites im browsing are being a pain.. so yea this list will get updated soon enough

CHAOS
09-11-2006, 11:03 AM
well i made some phone calls today... did some more ordering... at this point im sure im going to have Xotic do my EWG set up ... and probably the injection... and tuning ......it should be lots of fun.

so add to the list:
- JDM auto intercooler switch
- Vlimited lip
- new floor mats (mine are knock offs)
- jdm bumper beam

hopefully ill be getting JDM fogs ordered tonite... and talking to andy about my EWG set up some more... ive gotta figure out what everything is going to cost me from them.

edit: JDM fogs ordered.