PDA

View Full Version : Rear Coil Spring Removal

Yellow_S4
08-28-2006, 10:42 AM
Okay I have a 2004 Audi S4 which has a double wishbone rear suspension with a separate coil spring and shock setup (ie they are not coilovers). I purchased sport springs and shocks for the car and am trying to install them myself. I have put the fronts together no problem, but I can't get the damn rear springs out! I should mention that I am using a generic spring compressor which uses two McPherson strut type compressors that compress the springs from the outside. The problem is that I can't get both compressors on the rear springs since the lower control arm is in the way. I have looked around for a better set of compressors, but have only found the professional ones for ~$400. I imagine there is some sort of trick to getting out the rear springs seeing as any car with a separate coil spring/ shock setup in the rear will have this problem. Any suggestions on how to remove the spring would be of great help

-G

SmokeyBandit
08-28-2006, 11:09 AM
http://www.audiworld.com/tech/wheel.html

Yellow_S4
08-28-2006, 02:05 PM
Hmmm I unfortunately all they have is spring removal of the old S4 :-/ I guess it was easy to remove the spring in the old setup.

Krissrock
09-02-2006, 11:09 AM
i had a similar problem when i was doing the springs on my TT..but i was able to get both compressors on the rear springs to compress it slightly, and then have someone step on the arm to push it down some, then simply pull the spring out from the perch....the arm may be able to come down further,. check and see if there are brake lines or wires that keep it from coming down. you may be able to disconnect them from their clips which may give more room.