PDA

View Full Version : So I have this check...

Renegade_
08-28-2006, 10:42 AM
For 750$ from when I got rear ended. No frame damage (got it evaluated at the shop that would be doing the repairs - I know the guy and trust him) all I need is a new bumper cover and the little lights around the license plate.

Now I am thinking... Should I simply just give them the car, they repair it, done with that...

or...

Should I do it myself? I can buy a bumper for 180 bucks brand new from subaru. I would pay them to paint the bumper properly but thats all I would do. Then buy the tail lights and re-wire them and put the bumper on myself. How hard is it to remove rear bumpers and re-wire those tail lights? are they just plug in and go? If this is easy I might as well do this and buy myself a beefy cusco swaybar with some solid endlinks and a short shifter.

What you guys think? It will get repaired either way, but I have never done any body work (not body "work" but working with the car's exterior) so I don't know how hard the removal would be. What tools would I need? Just screwdrivers and a ratchet set?

Mac @ R/T Tuning
08-28-2006, 10:57 AM
If it is as simple as replacing the bumper and license plate lights and you can save that much money on it, I would just do it yourself. Easy to throw on a bumper and even if you have to play around with the wiring of the lights.

BTW if you want a sick deal on the sways hit me up and I will hook you up.

Renegade_
08-28-2006, 11:14 AM
If it is as simple as replacing the bumper and license plate lights and you can save that much money on it, I would just do it yourself. Easy to throw on a bumper and even if you have to play around with the wiring of the lights.

BTW if you want a sick deal on the sways hit me up and I will hook you up.
All that happened is the rear bumper and the lights cracked. There is 1 large crack where the bumper gave way (the hit wasn't hard - the bumper did it's job; that's why it's cracked) and both of the lights shattered. That's it.

Despite my license plate being kind of ghetto rigged (2 of the mounting holes for the plate cracked too) there is nothing else wrong.

driftingeric2k4
08-28-2006, 11:40 AM
I'd do it myself if I were you, especially if you can save a decent amount of money on it. Removing body panels and etc is easier than an oil change.

Mac @ R/T Tuning
08-28-2006, 11:52 AM
All that happened is the rear bumper and the lights cracked. There is 1 large crack where the bumper gave way (the hit wasn't hard - the bumper did it's job; that's why it's cracked) and both of the lights shattered. That's it.

Despite my license plate being kind of ghetto rigged (2 of the mounting holes for the plate cracked too) there is nothing else wrong.

Then I would definitely do it myself, no point in paying someone to throw a bumper on the car when you could do it yourself and save alot of loot.

Gaze
08-28-2006, 12:13 PM
reminds me of how i got rearended in my work truck last summer... I had the factory option bumper that would have cost $1800 to replace. I got a $1500 check, bought a $200 diamond plate bumper and paid off a bunch of bills!