PDA

View Full Version : smelly clutch

joe tom
05-05-2005, 11:58 PM
tonight i ran my car at atco for the first time, i ran three times, but after the first run, my car reaked of burnt clutch all night, how can i prevent this in the future?

just to let you know, here are my times:
1st run: 13.75 :supz:
2nd run: 13.41 :mrgreen:
3rd run: 13.89 :thumbdow:

i think i was concentrating too much on the clutch in my third run, and thats why my time was higher.

oh yeah, i also through a check engine light on my first run, any ideas?

SmokeyBandit
05-06-2005, 12:02 AM
don't take it to atco and race for the best time.

We know... the best times are produced by slipping the clutch at high rpms -- that is very bad for the clutch and its life.

MuddyREX
05-06-2005, 08:12 AM
I really really really really reccommend getting some engine management, or finding out if your car really has it already.

That said, your times aren't too bad. Once you get the hang of launching it, you won't burn the clutch as much. How were your R/Ts and 60ft times?

sisforsurfing
05-06-2005, 11:35 AM
Nice times. It would have been funny/suprising to see you run those times had we thought you were just running the exhaust, not the injectors/turbo/etc. What turbo did you end up figuring it was? VF30?

272sWrx
05-06-2005, 11:49 AM
what mods are you running?

joe tom
05-06-2005, 12:18 PM
i did find out that it is a vf34 thanks to troll, i also have a jdm sti intercooler, sti pink injectors, 3inch tbe, (magnaflow), k&n typhoon intake, and turbo xs mbc, (i was only running 15 psi), and there are a **** load of suspension items that i don't have time to mention, due to a final that i'm already late for. i'll post them later.

97TSi
05-06-2005, 12:26 PM
What time were you there??
I don't remember seeing any wrx wagons?

272sWrx
05-06-2005, 12:48 PM
how are you running upgraded injectors with no ecu controll. no wonder your getting cell's

joe tom
05-06-2005, 02:31 PM
i got there pretty late, around 9:00, but i was still able to manage three runs. i was there with my girlfriend, (2K5_tC), but she didn't have her car, and a silver srt4 (john) and a yellow mazda protege speed (nick). nick is aka mazdaprospeed on tst.

and as for the injectors, i don't know if the car has ever had em, so i'm looking into getting a cobb access port, or seeing if someone would like to let me borrow theirs... :banana:

capaGC8
05-07-2005, 11:51 AM
I found that it's the best to "prep the tranny" when you are going to launch extremely hard. You can practice this before you're at the gates too.

1.) find the sweet spot (RPM) of torque
2.) once the lights start going down shift into 1st
3.) here's the trick - *you want to disengage the clutch just enough so the car does not bog* this takes away any space between the gears that could cause damage from dumping the clutch.
4.) after you see green - dump it from this point
5.) as you're shifting gears do not take your foot off of the gas as much as you would during regular driving - leave it close to 75% or whereever the shift engages the smoothest.
6.) reap the rewards and smell like a winner

Best times:
2002 WRX - 13.4@99.8mph; Mods: UPPIPE, TBE, ECUTEK, STI MOUNTS
2004 STi - 12.65@105mph; Mods: TBE, ECUTEK, JDM V8 STRUTS/SPRINGS (V-LIMITED), VF39 P&P/WG/PE wheel