PDA

View Full Version : Srt4 Ewg

Renegade_
08-16-2006, 02:26 PM
Alright, in the coming days my friend (capman on here) is going to be installing an external wastegate on his SRT4. Currently he is running it up to 19 PSI dropping to 16 PSI at redline (which is why we are getting the external gate, the internal gate sucks the big one and fluctuates like a mother).

So anyone with SRT4 tuning experience or that has one - What is a safe PSI to set it at? Is setting it to about 20 PSI realistic? This is with stock turbo. When I say safe I mean safe to the point where you are not jeopardizing the engine but getting more power out of it.

For extra info -
3 Inch Turboback
Mopar Stage I
Ignition
HKS SSQV
Injen Intake
CCA Front Mount (It's big)

Thats all the engine work I can think of. Any input is appreciated.

Broken5hift
08-16-2006, 02:47 PM
unless your running a fuel return line and a map clamp IMO on a stock turbo you should keep it at 18psi tops.

D Money
08-16-2006, 02:49 PM
Externally gating the stock turbo?

So his plan is to weld the internal gate shut, buy and ewg setup, and then run more boost? Who makes the ewg kits for srt-4's?

Broken5hift
08-16-2006, 03:27 PM
yea having an external waste gate doesnt make much sense on a stock turbo

Renegade_
08-16-2006, 03:35 PM
Externally gating the stock turbo?

So his plan is to weld the internal gate shut, buy and ewg setup, and then run more boost? Who makes the ewg kits for srt-4's?
I don't know who makes the EWG, I'll have him post it up. The previous owner had the stock turbo and was running an EWG and said it was a world of difference and would hold his 18lbs of boost to redline without dying off at the end.

Last I know of TD04s have had external gates done on them before (check NASIOC, there are a good amount of posts), so it shouldn't be hard. Every person that owns an SRT4 that he talked to (which had an external gate) said externally gating it made a world of difference for them in being able to hold it to redline

*edit*

Dirka Dirka

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?mode=hybrid&t=992613

Renegade_
08-16-2006, 03:43 PM
Going over the 18psi mark without return line isnt safe. like broken said tell your friend to get the fuel return line, SAFC II or mapclamp, and a wideband to tune the mapclamp, if he wants to go over 18psi
he mentioned the mapclamp, and he is getting it. What wideband O2 sensor you reccomend?

Broken5hift
08-16-2006, 03:48 PM
he mentioned the mapclamp, and he is getting it. What wideband O2 sensor you reccomend?

a mapclamp is useless without a fuel return line, they work together. the AEM wideband works fine.

you dont want to hold 18 psi to redline unless you have the proper support mods, which your friend doesnt. who ever owned the car before your friend and was running the car at 18psi till redline without proper supporting mods probably took about 40k miles off that engines life span

Broken5hift
08-16-2006, 03:49 PM
On a side note. Henry, hanging around the shop with you and Mike makes me feel smarter about srt info lol:prayer:

LOL. well, it was a ton of trial and error for us all. but in the end it was alot of fun :supz:

Renegade_
08-16-2006, 03:51 PM
a mapclamp is useless without a fuel return line, they work together. the AEM wideband works fine.

you dont want to hold 18 psi to redline unless you have the proper support mods, which your friend doesnt. who ever owned the car before your friend and was running the car at 18psi till redline without proper supporting mods probably took about 40k miles off that engines life span
Nah, the turbo falls off at redline currently. When he shifts its around 16, not higher.

I seriously should get him to post, I am being the dumbass for him asking all the questions, it's his damn car...:screwy:

Broken5hift
08-16-2006, 03:54 PM
Nah, the turbo falls off at redline currently. When he shifts its around 16, not higher.

I seriously should get him to post, I am being the dumbass for him asking all the questions, it's his damn car...:screwy:

well its important to understand the car and what your doing before you do something stupid and blow the car up. so asking questions is smarter than blind actions :mrgreen:

Broken5hift
08-16-2006, 03:56 PM
just for the hell of it (max2k1's ride):

before
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d74/Broken5hift/1.jpg

after
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d74/Broken5hift/3.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d74/Broken5hift/4.jpg

so sexy

Renegade_
08-16-2006, 03:59 PM
Goddamn, i forgot to mention the Front mount. he has a giganto front mount...

How could I forget that...

Broken5hift
08-16-2006, 04:01 PM
Goddamn, i forgot to mention the Front mount. he has a giganto front mount...

How could I forget that...

yea but it doesnt affect the air/fuel ratio which needs to be corrected for increasing boost (just saying)

Renegade_
08-16-2006, 04:02 PM
I don't know the exact measure but from his A/F ratio gauge he is still running rich at full boost (the autometer gauge doesnt say 11:1, 12:1 so I dont know the exact ratio)

Broken5hift
08-16-2006, 04:06 PM
an autometer cool haxor lightbright gauge wont do. it needs to be a wideband

D Money
08-16-2006, 04:11 PM
That fmic kit was sick. It comes with a new bumper beam and it cannot be seen! I wish they made something like that for a subaru.

Renegade_
08-16-2006, 04:12 PM
That fmic kit was sick. It comes with a new bumper beam and it cannot be seen! I wish they made something like that for a subaru.
JDM Lightweight bumper beam?

D Money
08-16-2006, 04:21 PM
JDM Lightweight bumper beam?
That won't work with an fmic on a subaru.

When I bought my front mount it said it included the crash beam. Well when I got it, I hardly call it a crash beam as if I wanted to I could bend it in half. :wink:

TalonTsi97
08-16-2006, 07:12 PM
I didnt want to drive around without a crashbar. so I had to pony up nearly $200 for it:wiggle:
I think its worth it and if someone made a nice one for my car i be all over it.

and to keep this on topic, i have never seen a stock turbo srt-4 runnign a external wastegate. Sure its possible and probably works but most people just dotn spend the money or take the time. I wanna see how this turns out.

RayArroyo
08-17-2006, 09:49 AM
we externally gated a stock turbo to see what happened and it was a waste. sounded cool but the stock turbo the most you can run is 20 psi with out loosing efficency. even with the ewg setup boost dropped to about 18 psi to redline. to run 20 psi on stock turbo the stock injectors are enough, you need stage 1 ecu to prevent over boost codes the right way, a map clamp or piggyback , i radther use a piggyback and a fuel return even though i never used one on my stock turbo. my wideband of choice is made by innovate

Renegade_
08-17-2006, 10:00 AM
I don't know about the mopar stages but I am under the impression that the mopar stage 1 is a basic more aggressive reflash. He has mopar stage 1

capman
08-18-2006, 01:59 PM
So, you guys are saying I would need what excatly run 19psi to redline? Just mapclamp, return line, mopar stage1, and wideband?

Broken5hift
08-18-2006, 02:09 PM
yep

with those mods you could run 22psi safely

capman
08-18-2006, 03:33 PM
okay good, thank you

capman
08-19-2006, 12:36 AM
Where can I get a mapclamp, any suggestions?

SilverTurboRidin
08-19-2006, 12:47 AM
go on srtforums look up dasmopar in the vender section...

or try revit up i dont know if they carry them or not

Renegade_
08-20-2006, 04:12 PM
By running 20 PSI I am pretty sure you a breaching the efficiency range of the current turbo or really pushing it. What turbo would you be able to run 20 PSI without going outside of the operating range? Dis-regarding things like GT30/35rs (aka big turbos), would a 16 or 18G do the trick?

RayArroyo
09-04-2006, 12:08 PM
By running 20 PSI I am pretty sure you a breaching the efficiency range of the current turbo or really pushing it. What turbo would you be able to run 20 PSI without going outside of the operating range? Dis-regarding things like GT30/35rs (aka big turbos), would a 16 or 18G do the trick?
yes but they will require for you to change the manifold at that point hrc would be the way to go but for that just go 50 trim

Brazen06
09-08-2006, 05:51 PM
50 trim is the best turbo for the street on the srt's IMO (i used to own one) plus all you need with that is a nice log manifold...for under 2 grand you can have yourself a nasty car

Brazen06
09-08-2006, 05:57 PM
hmm not sure about the external wastegate why would you need to do it? its really not worth the gain for the ammount of modification neccesary to do it...its almost as cheap to get a new turbo

RayArroyo
09-09-2006, 12:16 PM
50 trim is the best turbo for the street on the srt's IMO (i used to own one) plus all you need with that is a nice log manifold...for under 2 grand you can have yourself a nasty car

i loved my gt40r on my srt but 50 is really nice

peteyturbo
09-09-2006, 02:25 PM
If the guy is not getting boost creep, installing an EWG on that stock turbo is just like poking a hole in the exhaust near the cat..Noisy, and pointless, unless rice plays a factor here:)

wgknestrick
09-09-2006, 04:23 PM
I think your boost falling off at readline is more of function of the stock turbo size than the stock wastegate. In the end you are going to spend a ton of money and not get anything in return.

Generally stock turbos fall off in boost in the upper RPMs on "all" cars because they generally have small exhaust housings that choke flow up there. This causes the turbo to operate out of it's efficency range and it blows substantially hotter air towards redline. You just can't get them to hold boost.

For reference, all turbos tend to want to "hump" their boost pressure as the turbo goes in and out of it's peak efficency acrosss the RPM band. Where and how drastic the hump is depends on the turbo's size. On smaller turbos this is more pronounced.

I'm not try to talk you out of an EWG, because they are the way to go, BUT you need to also put in a turbo at that time as well.

RayArroyo
09-09-2006, 06:15 PM
i already said it ewg in an srt on stock turbo = waste

SilverTurboRidin
09-09-2006, 11:56 PM
i already said it ewg in an srt on stock turbo = waste

Yup listen to this dude...he knows his **** even though he traded us fellow skittle owners haha YOUR MY BOY BLUE!!! hahaha

Tiny
09-10-2006, 08:40 AM
Uh. Why would you want to run 20psi on the street? Not only is it a little dangerous EGT wise, but it makes no sense. Try launching your car on street tires at 20psi and you'll see what I mean.

Save your money and get a turbo kit. I'm looking at a new BW turbo that will spool like a 50 trim and have the potential to make up to 580hp. Should be fun.