PDA

View Full Version : motor build... need some help..

boostme05
08-13-2006, 12:41 PM
i have a 1995 acura integra with the b18b1... but i have a b18a1 motor that i want to build up... first question... will it be a straight swap... or will i have to rewire things?... second... i wanna boost the hell out of the engine.. and i know forged interonals is the way to go.. but whats would be the best build up to runthat block at 20 psi?.. i know that im sending the head out to headgames for them to do the full race head... and 3rd... now i need a tranny to beable to take that hp.. and displace it without busting gears.. whats the best way to build up a tranny to handle it? thanks!

BCSpeed
08-13-2006, 08:03 PM
The only wiring differences between the engines are b18b1 obd1 engine, the coolant temp sensor in on the cylinder head and the b18a1 obd0 engine the coolant temp sensor in on the back of the block. You Going to have to change the wiring for the sensor other than that the wiring is the same. The block you need a good set up rods to hold up at high rpms (crower,Manley)..., a set of low compression pistions ( je,cp)... And becasuse you are running an ls block i would reccomend you purchasing an main gurdle inorder to hold the rotating assembly tight togther. Gsr and type r blocks come factory with the gurdle the ls dose not. Are you installing a vtec head on the block or you plain on running a straight ls? With the ls head they flow alot less cfm and it takes a good bit of effort to make them flow as much as a fatory vtec head would.And As far as your tranny you can either put honda gears back in it or gear speed carbon gears, and a quaife lsd. Theres not much that you can do to hold up to the abuse you will just have to do things to aid the abuse.

highmilehatch
08-13-2006, 11:01 PM
Try making 300+whp on a stock block first and get used to that. In the meantime build up your spare block. How much power do you want? Powerband? What do you mean by "full race" head? A serious race-prepped cylinder head with aggressive cams will not make for a streetable experience. What kind of driving are you going to be doing? PSI is irrelevant unless you just want to be able to tell people you run 20 psi. Your selection of parts for your turbo kit and tuning method is going to lay the foundation for the power output.

BCSpeed
08-14-2006, 09:16 PM
There are alot of unanswered questions you need to figure out,inorder to see what your going to do with the car and then you can determine what to do with the build.

Cypher
09-07-2006, 12:46 AM
for all ur honda questions check out www.clubcivic.com

highmilehatch
09-09-2006, 08:49 AM
I just read a few threads at clubcivic.com. Please do yourself a favor and don't read any of the garbage posted there, as it will completely lead you in the wrong direction.

Cypher
09-09-2006, 10:45 PM
lol those guys are crazy and go mad off topic sometimes but alot of the guys are amazingly gifted and know what they are doing. honestly sometimes i go on there and just laugh because they go so far off topic.

turboteg
09-20-2006, 10:48 PM
[advertising is not allowed on TST without becoming a vendor, post deleted]

BCSpeed
09-21-2006, 12:12 AM
Are you a vendor????

turboteg
09-21-2006, 07:33 AM
The only wiring differences between the engines are b18b1 obd1 engine, the coolant temp sensor in on the cylinder head and the b18a1 obd0 engine the coolant temp sensor in on the back of the block. You Going to have to change the wiring for the sensor other than that the wiring is the same. The block you need a good set up rods to hold up at high rpms (crower,Manley)..., a set of low compression pistions ( je,cp)... And becasuse you are running an ls block i would reccomend you purchasing an main gurdle inorder to hold the rotating assembly tight togther. Gsr and type r blocks come factory with the gurdle the ls dose not. Are you installing a vtec head on the block or you plain on running a straight ls? With the ls head they flow alot less cfm and it takes a good bit of effort to make them flow as much as a fatory vtec head would.And As far as your tranny you can either put honda gears back in it or gear speed carbon gears, and a quaife lsd. Theres not much that you can do to hold up to the abuse you will just have to do things to aid the abuse.

no, I'm just trying to save this guy some money your list includes alot of stuff that just isn't nessesery. do you actully know what goes into installing a block girdle properly they just don't bolt on, machine the caps,align hone and a new oil pick up plus the only one worth buying is a ERL one because it covers all 5 caps not 3 like those ebay junks that cover 3 that are simular to type R and gsr set ups and the whole deal would be $600-700 wich wont make a difference unless he had 700hp. it would be a waste offf money

and what are carbon gear speed gears, gear speed uses honda gears. I think you ment carbon syncros. I know guys with 9 sec hondas with stock gear sets.
and if all he wants to do is run 20psi all he needs is eagle rods not manley or crower there great but there at $300 more than the eagles

I'm not trying to step on your toes but just trying to save this guy from false info
if he needs to buy parts I guess your the guy he needs to talk to but, engine building is alot more than buying the stuff the magazines tells you is the best

BCSpeed
09-21-2006, 05:47 PM
Your not trying to save to guy money you are trying to sell him on a half assed build, and in your mind you think that you are helping him out. You think because you have put 1 or 2 engines together that you are some kind of engine god. Do you machine any of your engines or do you think because you assemble an engine that you build engines now?? I have been putting these cars together for about 7 years now, with about 5 years of R&D,and testing. So unlike your self what is stated are facts! Not some bull**** mag write ups or honda-tech posts.Eagle rods and products may work on american cars but they do not hold up on hondas. Mabey at 8psi or so but with anything over that the rod caps disfigure,cause bearings to spin and....... There oiling holes the the rods do not let the rotating assembly to properly cool. The z10 block gurdle or function 7 3 main cap gurdles are a quality product, there is no need to run the erl 5 main unless you are trying to make a hole lot of power. The ls bottom end over time from not running a gurdle will cause the crank to have movent from the assemble not being tight enough under high pressures. Holy **** a typo!!! I do sell the syncro sets and i do know the difference. Like i stated before if it is a high whp car no matter what you put in the trans it will not last forever!!!!

turboteg
09-21-2006, 06:09 PM
Your not trying to save to guy money you are trying to sell him on a half assed build, and in your mind you think that you are helping him out. You think because you have put 1 or 2 engines together that you are some kind of engine god. Do you machine any of your engines or do you think because you assemble an engine that you build engines now?? I have been putting these cars together for about 7 years now, with about 5 years of R&D,and testing. So unlike your self what is stated are facts! Not some bull**** mag write ups or honda-tech posts.Eagle rods and products may work on american cars but they do not hold up on hondas. Mabey at 8psi or so but with anything over that the rod caps disfigure,cause bearings to spin and....... There oiling holes the the rods do not let the rotating assembly to properly cool. The z10 block gurdle or function 7 3 main cap gurdles are a quality product, there is no need to run the erl 5 main unless you are trying to make a hole lot of power. The ls bottom end over time from not running a gurdle will cause the crank to have movent from the assemble not being tight enough under high pressures. Holy **** a typo!!! I do sell the syncro sets and i do know the difference. Like i stated before if it is a high whp car no matter what you put in the trans it will not last forever!!!!

I work at a machine shop with a engine dyno I do all my own machine work and assembly. and the reason the bearing spun in the eagle rods you had was because you checked your clearence with plastic gauge.

plus I have a ls vtec with eagle rods 22psi 430whp no block girdle been driving to and from work everydayfor about 2yrs and I tuned it my self.

Its ok I'll drop it your the man ,you know it all The amount of knowlage you have is over welming. Your right I"m trying to sell him a crappy engine because thats what I loved to do I'm busted.

you may beable to feed that bullsh*t to other guys on the forum but I actually know what I'm talking about and can call you on it

ya 8psi your retarded

highmilehatch
09-21-2006, 06:35 PM
[post deleted]

First thing you should do is become a vendor before offering your services.

jc8889
09-21-2006, 07:28 PM

Hey my man, Nick is a nice guy not to mention he can BUILD a bad ass race motor. So before you go and get all offended and jump on his **** you should know the facts. He works for Mahler engine service in Glenolden and he has built more than a "couple" engines. A matter of fact he built my custom 2.4 setup in my Mitsubishi. He's not trying to beat anyone out of a sale, he's just stating that alot of those over priced products are unnecessary. Not everyone out there can throw a couple extra thousand dollars out the window on fancy parts. If a cheaper part can get the job done in a street car, why not use that? Its not like its being displayed for the world to see. Alot of the time your paying for a name. And thats the TRUTH. So please dont be offended by anything I just said, Im just backing my engine builder up.

Gorilla Unit 33
09-21-2006, 07:48 PM
First thing you should do is become a vendor before offering your services.

please are you trying to become the next moderator? lol god turboteg was offering to lend someone a hand with a build.

Ive Known Turbo teg for about 6 years now and ever since ive met him he has known his **** about cars and building insane motors. He's right when he says you dont need half the bull**** BCspeed is trying to con you into buying. I understand the starter of this thread has hopes of pushing 20psi and the build that turboteg was talking about is tottally possible of 20 psi. Some people have to step back from there powertrip mindset thinking they know everything and think. Everyone is going to have there own opinion on what will and wont work but beings that bcspeed probably never tried turbotegs way i doubt his experience in building and testing things with out the advice of a magazine. I Know TurboTeg, I trust him with any install/build on my car that iam not capable at times to do because i know his background well and Know for a fact if he says sumtin is going to work it will. Theres no need to down/doubt him cause hes not a vendor, being a vendor just means you sell **** on here for all i care.

keep in mind back when Bc speed was new here i heard big talk about a 600whp integra which i heard was there "shop car", then i showed up to the charity dyno and was dissapointed with a low 415whp. its not really low but it was dissapointing considering all the big talk i was hearing.

ej20wrx123
09-21-2006, 07:57 PM
ya 8psi your retarded

Yea dont the stock blocks hold 12psi?

turboteg
09-21-2006, 08:41 PM
Yea dont the stock blocks hold 12psi?

oh ya I forgot to mention my block has stock sleeves with just forged internals
having to get a honda block sleeved and block girdled is a big misconception
and a waste of money unless you have a race only engine thats going to see detination alot

boost doesn't crack sleeves or blow up engines detination does if the tuners good he can really push a stock engine. I have a friend with a stock ls integra all it has is dsm 450cc injectors fuel reg and a 18g greddy turbo kit with hondata
he put down 335whp @ 23 psi he did it about 5-6 months ago and its still going

jc8889
09-21-2006, 08:56 PM
LJ you go boy, I like the Moderator comment. Have you ever seen that movie " you got served".

highmilehatch
09-21-2006, 09:31 PM
LJ you go boy, I like the Moderator comment. Have you ever seen that movie " you got served".

What are you in high school? I'm not trying to become a moderator. BC Speed isn't giving bad advice, he's giving personal advice. There is no need to come in here and start bashing someone's idea of a good build because you don't agree with it. Building engines/cars whatever based on what has worked for you personally in the past is a pretty solid way of doing things. I try not to deviate too much from something that has worked for me either. Theres nothing wrong with suggesting other parts that will work just as well. But don't try to discredit someone who suggests something thats has worked for them.

Gorilla Unit 33
09-21-2006, 10:20 PM
But don't try to discredit someone who suggests something thats has worked for them.

Im not saying Bc Speed's way is wrong but he was discrediting turboteg's way of a build basically calling his b.s. when its not. Also he doubted his skills of building engines and what not, when i and others on here know that he is very good at what he does and shouldnt be doubted. Of course Bc Speed took the vendor standpoint like he would trying to convince the kid into buying some things that are expensive and just not necessary, in hope to make a couple bucks probably. i cant hate on him for trying to make money off a forum he PAYS to advertise on. And no were not in highschool we have a sense of humor.

highmilehatch
09-21-2006, 10:38 PM
Alright then. Can't we all just get along?

BCSpeed
09-21-2006, 10:41 PM
Not one bearing supn all eagles we have ever used. I didnt know plasta gauge comes in a $2600.00 inside mic. kit. Never said that i was the man but you dont have a clue! Sleeving is a big waste of money i will agreee with that but i would never run an ls block wth out a gurdle. We just started selling parts just to inform! When i made the post i didnt even sell any parts i was trying to help a guy out, they reason we do now sell parts is to make it eaiser on us not to make a million dollars. WHen we went to the charity event due to the slicks and a dyno jet my tires spun on the rollers causing an inaccuracte reading! I have no reason to make some bull**** numbers! If anyone would like any day of the week they can come to my shop and see the car the dyno graphs whatever!!!!!!! Stock block will hold more than 12psi. who ever said that boost cracks sleeves?????? Im done talking about all this bull**** facts still remain facts and you have proved nothing to me or anyone that really builds these cars!! Get some real building under your belt than we can talk and if you ever want some help LEARING to build engines im at the shop 7 days a week! get a life!

TROLL
09-22-2006, 01:03 AM
sigh... i read the first few posts in this thread and i was like wow awesome, serious tech advice from the guys who know, this is great... this is the kind of thing i really want to see on the forum more and more so please contribute that as much and as often as possible.
as for the downward spiral from then on, come on guys... sounds like a bunch of very educated experienced people who have different experiences... respect each other and if you make a point back it up. keep it civil and give each other the benefit of the doubt.
cool? good.
now back to the quality tech info. if you disagree thats fine, just dont bring it down to a level thats below yourself... lets keep it mature and civil.
bryan

turboteg
09-22-2006, 07:38 AM

the only reason I think you full of **** is the eagle rod thing, you can really say they only hadle 8psi come on. and your not smart enough to admit
you just fu*ked up that engine. usually more inteligent people learn from there mistakes not ,point fingers and blame faulty parts. also the oil thats fed through the crank lubracates and cools the rod so that does even make a difference if theres a little oil hole in the rod or not I can honestly say I've seen probley 50 engines leave my shop with eagle rods and not one had any kind of rod failure now about half of those where v8s and the other half where all imports mostly hondas but any one who knows there shi*t knows power is power. and you say you need a girdle to keep the bottom end from coming loose under pressure ya ,that dont happen unless the engine is detinating its balls off now I can admit I'm not that good knowing everything about cars them selfs. but all I do 10-12 hours a day is machine work and build engines thats all I do. and I dont now what you meant by inside mic and $2600 ya ok I use a outside mic to check the crank and then set a bore gauge to check the bearings and thats what every race engine shop uses to check clearences
a inside mic is definetly the wrong way to check clearence you should really look in to buying
a reg mic set and a bore gauge so you dont blow up any more engines

and if everyone wants to know this guy is full of sh*t google inside micrometer and look at all the prices

BCSpeed
09-22-2006, 12:17 PM
WOW! you just proved that you dont know ****! Im done with this discussion and the offer still stands if you want to stop by and learn how to build motors stop by.

jc8889
09-22-2006, 01:13 PM
Nick dont even waste your time with this tool bag, he already made a fool of himself on the forum and we all can see that he cannot spell.

TROLL
09-22-2006, 01:16 PM
i'm very disappointed... but leaving the thread open so that they OP may get some help here....
you guys done with the pissing contest?

jc8889
09-22-2006, 01:47 PM
Sorry Bryan, I just didnt like the way this guy was burning on my engine builder/friend.

turboteg
09-22-2006, 06:46 PM
how did I just prove I dont know sh*t
I'm done with the pissing match I just dont know what this guys problem is if he wasn't acting like gods gift to engine buildiing I could probley help him out.
I'll be the first to admit I'm not the man at swaps and and I"m not a master mechanic. machine work and engine building is what I do all day long and what I've been doing for close to 10 yrs. I cant be that bad I never had a come back. I was just trying to give the guy who started the post some advice since it was about engine building and that what I do for a living.

I'll be the first to admit when I dont know what I'm doing but when it comes to engines I do. if he was looking to have a swap done I wouldn't have posted anything

I just got on this forum I'm not looking to bump heads with anybody
sorry you didn't agree with my advice

BCSpeed
09-22-2006, 10:06 PM
You do what you do and we do what we do. In this total post we have done nothing but argue like little women. No hard feeling or bad blood!

turboteg
09-23-2006, 07:35 AM
You do what you do and we do what we do. In this total post we have done nothing but argue like little women. No hard feeling or bad blood!

ok thats cool I didn't come on here to start trouble

IntegrasAreBest
09-23-2006, 01:25 PM
i dont want to start up a flame or anything but based on advice and the way he conducted himself, i would go with turbo teg to do my build.

sponsored1
09-23-2006, 03:17 PM
i dont want to start up a flame or anything but based on advice and the way he conducted himself, i would go with turbo teg to do my build.

I agree i think he conducted himself in a non-business like manner and it speaks poorly of his business. I would encourage everyone who represents a business to be more business oriented and no one is going to take you seriously if you act this way on a public forum (this goes for both bc speed and turboteg).

BCSpeed
09-23-2006, 06:26 PM
I agree i think he conducted himself in a non-business like manner and it speaks poorly of his business. I would encourage everyone who represents a business to be more business oriented and no one is going to take you seriously if you act this way on a public forum (this goes for both bc speed and turboteg).

I do agree with that this is why i wanted to end this dispute. No matter what anyone knows or dosent know of that matter someone is going to disagree. Without understanding why people feel as they do and trying to understand people just go into these total mind sets that everyone is out to get them. All the vendors on this site do pay money every month and try to help people out that best that we can. With this said it bothers us when people try to sell there business without contributing to the site.

TROLL
09-23-2006, 08:47 PM
I normally let someone mention what they are up to even if its a shop in their intro thread, and i did send turboteg a PM asking him to not advertise his work any further without becoming a vendor... dont want you guys to think I was leaving you out to dry.
At this point I have decided to delete his post since it is crossing the line a bit.
It seems like there are a lot of knowledgeable people in this thread, I'd ask that you take some time to write up some interesting FAQs or Tutorials or just articles in general about how things work that you think might be of interest to any of our members here.
Thanks,
Bryan