PDA

View Full Version : Computer Gurus-- why is my computer beeping at me (like a warning system)?

TROLL
08-03-2006, 04:21 AM
I'm ripping a DVD, and my computer is doing this high-low tone alternating beep... and its coming from the tower. It only happens when I'm ripping the DVD and not when I'm burning it onto a blank disc. If I pause the ripping it stops pretty quickly so its gotta be associated with the DVD drive in one way or another.
Anyone have any clues? Is it a heat issue or a power issue? The computer is a ~2 year old custom built 3.0 Gig P4 with an Abit mobo, 1 gb ram, DVD drive and a DVD burner, and two 250 gb WD harddrives in RAID, and a 36 gb 10k rpm WD harddrive. Cant remember the power source but it think its 400 whatevers... haha.
TIA
Bryan

gary
08-03-2006, 05:11 AM
Stop burning copyrighted material... haha.

I unfortunately wouldn't know where to start. Maybe consult your abit manual. That is the only thing in your computer with a speaker.

Good luck, maybe someone smarter knows...

Ender81
08-03-2006, 05:25 AM
Good luck, maybe someone smarter knows...

Nope I couldn't figure it out either :rotfl:

Scapegoat
08-03-2006, 07:30 AM
maybe its coming from the cd drive itself, try playing a dvd, cd, game cd, etc in there and see if it does it again. Maybe the laser needs to be cleaned and its beeping? maybe something is rubbing against something else in there and causing the sound, dunno.

R33P3R007
08-03-2006, 08:01 AM
the beep is fine.. isn't it the stopping of the beep that yeilds explosive results

olsookie
08-03-2006, 08:52 AM
what prog are you using to burn?

Renegade_
08-03-2006, 09:17 AM
does it sound like the board is posting? Or is the beep different?

Intercooled T
08-03-2006, 09:45 AM
Bryan, is the beep a constant beep or a series of beeps?

If you're using Nero, try burning at a lower speed. If this doesn't help, google for a program called NeroRegClean, its most likely a software conflict. I've also heard of this on Abit AN7 boards, is that what your board is?

Bizee
08-03-2006, 09:48 AM
sounds like its obviously your burner.. some drives make different sounds. some sound like helicopter some sound like little beeps..

the reason you only hear it while your ripping the cd is because its spinning much faster to grab the data as fast as you can... if you want the noise to stop try RIPPING it at a slower speed.

Bizee
08-03-2006, 09:51 AM
and if he is ripping a video dvd chances are he is not using nero

Intercooled T
08-03-2006, 09:59 AM
i use Nero 7 Premium to rip video dvds....

R33P3R007
08-03-2006, 10:00 AM
so do i... ^

TROLL
08-03-2006, 10:10 AM
its an Abit IC7-G mobo... and the box to the dvd drive doesnt say what model, unfortunately i'm kinda in a rush this morning so i cant really look for it.
using DVDShrink to rip and Nero to burn... and come on guys, they're just backups!
thanks for the help so far... i've been burning at 2x and thats not the problem, only when its ripping it is the problem, which it does at like 4x-8x which is constantly varying.

smoger
08-03-2006, 10:18 AM
if it's an obvious BEEP, then its coming from the internal speaker attached to the motherboard. they beep to give you warnings about all kinds of conditions..

as others have said,.. ripping is a pretty strenuous process, so perhaps there is an issue with excessive current draw while you're ripping. take a look through the manual for your motherboard and see if any of the warnings described match what you are hearing. i doubt its a heat issue but if you want to make sure you could download a temp. program to watch the temps(if your mobo/processor have probes, which i believe most if not all modern ones do)

igo4bmx
08-03-2006, 10:39 AM
danger to manifold!

olsookie
08-03-2006, 12:28 PM
you better turn the boost down... i think it's going to blow at 2x.... lol

you should try using dvd decrypt w/ dvd shrink :)

have you check nero for any options it might have to make noises when doing certain functions??

TROLL
08-03-2006, 09:41 PM
if it's an obvious BEEP, then its coming from the internal speaker attached to the motherboard. they beep to give you warnings about all kinds of conditions..

as others have said,.. ripping is a pretty strenuous process, so perhaps there is an issue with excessive current draw while you're ripping. take a look through the manual for your motherboard and see if any of the warnings described match what you are hearing. i doubt its a heat issue but if you want to make sure you could download a temp. program to watch the temps(if your mobo/processor have probes, which i believe most if not all modern ones do)

based on what i've seen, this seems to be the case, i'll bust out the manual and see whats up. i got the friggin case with the friggin bigger power supply so i wouldnt have problems like this! bah...

Honest_Bob
08-03-2006, 09:48 PM
Do you have any motherboard monitoring software installed? Stuff that tells you the temps and voltages. If a threshold isnt where it should be some software will beep at you. I would also make shure all the fans are spinning and heatsinks dust free, could be a heat issue. Ripping may be just enough load to bring out the warning. Is the PC in a cool place? I know its been very hot latley.

gary
08-03-2006, 09:52 PM
If you think its heat related then run a program called prime95.exe, found on the net, for a couple of minutes. This will tell you if the beeping is heat related or not.

smoger
08-03-2006, 10:02 PM
based on what i've seen, this seems to be the case, i'll bust out the manual and see whats up. i got the friggin case with the friggin bigger power supply so i wouldnt have problems like this! bah...

yeah, bigger is not necesarrily always better, so could be power

Spocknasty
08-04-2006, 12:17 AM
My computer beeped when it was overheating last summer. A short time later the motherboard went.

Maybe take part of your case off and run a fan onto your comp and try to replicate the problem.

All I can suggest is check all your connections.

lagos
08-04-2006, 12:24 AM
i have the same m/b. its beeping to let you know its overheating... but this might not be as bad as it sounds. from the factory they set the warning temp a little to low in some early bios versions. all you have to do, is go into your bios and change the warning temp. then just keep an eye on your temps to see how hot its really running. as long as it dosnt start crashing on you, then your fine as far as heat goes.

Renegade_
08-04-2006, 12:31 AM
if you are paranoid lower the emergency shutoff temp in the BIOS to something like....60. Stock emergency shutoff I believe is a standard 85. Some boards may be lower but that is the upper limit on any board. If your computer randomly shuts off, you found your problem.

If this is the case, get a copper HS+F and some AS5

Buster
08-04-2006, 01:30 AM
or maybe you could just buy movies like the rest of us.