PDA

View Full Version : DO NOT go to Performance Specialties in PA.

05GT
07-26-2006, 07:19 PM
LONG RANT:

I'll start from the beginning. When I had the Vortech put on my car...after only a day it blew my stock motor...Performace Specialties in PA did the work, and tune.
At the time...I was reluctant to think that it was the tune...seeming as even JDM says 473rwhp is too much for the stock block...but anyway...I should have realized then...when #1 The bill was suppose to be $1100-$1400 for the work...and it came out to be a little over $2000. #2 My motor blew the next day.

Well here is where I'm PISSED!!
After almost 4 months and $14k later...I FINALLY get my car back. Performance Specialties told me that the bill would be $1400-$1600 (worse case). That is the ONLY reason I went back to him. SO....after having the car for 2 months, and waiting on parts, they all arive and its time to start.
About 2 weeks into the project ...I'm told the bill will be about $2000. I'm a little upset but ok, I go with it.

Here comes the BS. So after a month, car is NOT done. Here is what went on..I call and ask for an update....Well he needs 2 tools to do the job, hes having them next day aired to him. I give him 2 days...still waiting for the "other" tool. I give him another 3 days...and he says hes going to begin finally.

A week of calls preceeding, work is slow. I'm told I'm being charged for the dipstick not fitting correctly, and him having to adjust it...ok.

Following week....motor is going together...heads, dressings, etc.

Another week...stuff is going in car....great. Well, he puts everything in the car...calls me up, and tells me that the short block was upgraded to a 8 bolt crank, and the aluminum flywheel won't work, its a 6 bolt (thats the stock config for a 3v). So another gets put in, a correct one. He says he had to drive a total of 3hrs to get the other 2 bolts needed...and charged me $11 for the 2 bolts, and $70 freakin dollars for his driving. (I paid for and ordered all the parts, all came to me expect the block).

So about a month now after the parts...the car is finally all put together. Well I get a call saying there is a problem.
When he turned on the car...all 6qts of oil come shooting out the back of one of the heads. Apparently, he never checked for missing oil plugs and there was one missing. Well, he has to take apart some of the engine to get to it. He CHARGES me over $300 for having to take it apart...AND for the spilled oil. He should have checked the damn parts 1st.

The he goes to tune the car...and it wont tune. So after like 2 days of not knowing why...and talking to other people...he takes the engine apart enough to get to the timing chain. The other head had no pressure because the other one leaked...and it caused the tensors to not tighten the chain..and it was causing major tune problems. Well he fixes that...AND CHARGES ME FOR IT AGAIN!!!!

Back to tuning...STILL can't tune it doesnt know why. Another like day or so, and come to find out...he has to take the intake manifold off..because the plug that controls the IMRC wasn't plug in all the way..and was restricting air flow...I GET CHARGED AGAIN!!!

FINALLY....I drive up there to get my car....he says he got the tune down.

I go get my car...and upon getting the bill, I was even charged for the overnight shipping of the 2 tools that HE NEEDED!!!!

Bill comes to a total of $3,100. Almost double what he orginaly said it was going to be....he also tells me once I'm there...that either I pay him more money for the time on the dyno, or he can just keep my BRAND NEW flywheel that didnt fit, and my 42lbs fuel injectors that I swapped out for the 60#s.
I had no more money to give him...so he got to have those also.

I get home and I take my car the next day to another shop & SCT tuner. Well my car is running 12lbs boost....which makes NO SENSE...when I have ported heads and cams and it should be flowing more air...its only a 10lb pulley. So stock I say 10lbs on old motor, and now...I'm seeing 12lbs..when I should be seeing like 8lbs?
Not to mention my inlet temps cruising are 150ish and at a full run they are near 192 OMFG!!! The intercooler is not here yet, and the car should NOT be running that hot...upon further examination...something is blocking the flow into the engine..hence the more boost and not less.
Tomorrow the car is getting Steeda charge motion plates, as we think the IMRC are not functioning properly. The car is also being 100% retuned...as it is not fast enough after spending $14k.
DO NOT GO TO PERFORMACE SPECIALTIES. My car was used as a freakin guinea pig.

I'm done...I think....

wgknestrick
07-26-2006, 08:03 PM
My only advice to you is to open up your internet browser and/or your toolbox before you open up your wallet.

You have to be responsible for who you take your car to and what they do to it. I still only trust one person with this stuff........me. You can't just assume that since someone is in the business, they know jack squat about your car, or even cars in general. It sucks, but that's the way it is.

In the meantime, DO NOT drive your car around running that much boost or you will be back in the same situation very soon.

Bill

DocEwww
07-26-2006, 08:07 PM
Told ya the guy was a moron and your tune blew that engine apart. I have confidence Kevin will get it straight tho. Looks like our cars will be back on the road around the same time with similar power :supz:

You should post this over on svt and stangnet, I doubt this is helping the import guys much.

tTS2k3Vic
07-26-2006, 08:54 PM
where is that place at?

revenant
07-26-2006, 09:17 PM
its in pottstown,pa...alot of my mustang buddies mention it now and then and I've never heard anything negative. My friend has been considering taking his supercharged 5.0 there for a tune once he gets his new intake manifold. I'll be sure to tell him about your bad experience "05GT".

05GT
07-26-2006, 10:08 PM
its in pottstown,pa...alot of my mustang buddies mention it now and then and I've never heard anything negative. My friend has been considering taking his supercharged 5.0 there for a tune once he gets his new intake manifold. I'll be sure to tell him about your bad experience "05GT".

Thanks I appriciate that. The guy actually said to me "Well, I'll chalk all this extra time up to a learning experience, its ashame it was on your car."

Oh and WG, I did research thanks, but when you've never had this work done before, you have to choose someone. They are off of SCTs website, and they have their own website, and I also called many other shops, and at the time, it seemed like the best choice.

Drew, This rant is posted on 3 other forums already lol.

WRXD
07-26-2006, 10:40 PM
Sounds like you gotta stand up for yourself more! I never would have paid for HIS mistakes like that. I can't beleive a place like that would try and charge you for those things and still somehow stay in business.

driftingeric2k4
07-27-2006, 08:25 AM
Sounds like you gotta stand up for yourself more! I never would have paid for HIS mistakes like that. I can't beleive a place like that would try and charge you for those things and still somehow stay in business.

+1bajillion

No way in hell do you pay for what some other shmuck screws up. You pay for parts and you pay for the labor quoted, not for extra stuff like the oil squirtiung out of the engine. While the custoemr should research the facility, the facility should research the job. If they can't handle it, its professional to decline the client their services as they are inadequate. A dealer tried to do this to me several years ago. One mention of the Better Business Bureau, a lawyer, and the District Attorney and they were kissing MY azz and doing the work they promised to do.

ej20wrx123
07-27-2006, 06:53 PM
wow i'am not shocked at all! I and some others warned you about going back to that shop in your other thread....did they ever give you a printout of the pervious dyno runs w/ wideband? Paying for tools they needed LOL. I would have told them to f off and been gone like a virgin on prom night. Good luck i hope everything works out for the best.

gray1g
07-28-2006, 12:42 AM
Nothing good has ever come out of Pottstown and I mean nothing! Stay away from that POS town and if you live there move! The only thing Pottstown was good for was my trash.

jc8889
07-28-2006, 02:08 AM
YOu should do your own work, atleast you'll pay for your own mistakes.

GyrlSpeedRT
07-28-2006, 04:06 PM
That is absolutely effed up. First of all , after he said something was going to be one price and then tacked on the extra, you should have gotten your car and got the hell outta dodge! Even if you had to have it towed, you should have. He knew what he was doing the whole time and took you for as much cash as you would let him take. Charging you for driving to get parts, K.M.B.A. So I guess you get to whoop his a$$ for trickin up your car right...it's only fair. But anyways, once you get your car tuned and repaired, send him the bill because the work he supposedly did had to be redone and you shouldn't have to pay for it, let alone, pay for it twice...
That's my .02, .25, 278569284756923 cents!

highmilehatch
07-30-2006, 02:26 AM
Man, there really are a whole lot of half-assed shops out there.

DocEwww
07-30-2006, 10:19 AM
did they ever give you a printout of the pervious dyno runs w/ wideband

Thats 1 thing that really pissed me off.

05GT
07-30-2006, 11:41 AM
Thats 1 thing that really pissed me off.

Sucks but at least now I KNOW it was him...after Kevin had to retune it.

FASTERTHANU
08-27-2006, 05:58 PM
geez, I just took my car there and it seemed fine. i feel for you though

olsookie
08-28-2006, 10:10 AM
I still only trust one person with this stuff........me.

true that!!

05GT
08-28-2006, 11:25 AM
geez, I just took my car there and it seemed fine. i feel for you though

What did you have done?

DocEwww
08-28-2006, 05:38 PM
What did you have done?

Cold air intake and a license plate frame.

05GT
08-29-2006, 09:35 AM
Cold air intake and a license plate frame.

:rofl:

slavetothemuzic
08-29-2006, 10:38 AM
You should DEFINITELY not be paying for HIS mistakes, like that he failed to put in the plug, lost oil due to his mistake, tissues for him crying over his mistake, etc.

My advice is that you contact an attorney. You may save over $1000 by spending a couple hundred using an attorney. It will also show the guy you mean business and he can't dick you over without legal action being taken.

05GT
08-29-2006, 11:13 AM
You should DEFINITELY not be paying for HIS mistakes, like that he failed to put in the plug, lost oil due to his mistake, tissues for him crying over his mistake, etc.

My advice is that you contact an attorney. You may save over $1000 by spending a couple hundred using an attorney. It will also show the guy you mean business and he can't dick you over without legal action being taken.

Already have. Probably sueing him for around $20K.

slavetothemuzic
08-29-2006, 11:25 AM
Already have. Probably sueing him for around $20K.
Good call.

My g/f is a paralegal, so that was the first thing that came to mind.

Ronin Tactical
09-01-2006, 07:56 PM
NOT an advertisement.....I'm an expert witness who handles dealer (sales) and service shop fraud cases, as well as lemon law/breach of warranty stuff. Former service manager and sales manager/F&I guy.

That said, when you're given an estimate, and you ok it, and the final bill comes out more than 10% over what you were quoted, Mr Shop Guy gets to eat it. If they try to push it, call the police. Always get a written estimate, signed by both of you, and only ok additional work after doing some homework on the new situation.

There's no way in hell I'd pay $2,000 after being quoted $1500 or less. And no, without your authorization for the additional money, they DON'T have the right to hold your car or any of that other crap they claim...

I see this a lot in PA, for whatever reason, and as long as people keep paying bills that are higher than they were quoted, this practice won't stop. This happens a lot on state inspections, where they just say "your car failed, and it needed X", and the car owner just writes a check. Not good.

There are federal laws in place, outlined in the Uniform Commercial Code and fair Trade Practices Act, and state laws covered through your state's attorney general's office that cover this type of estimate scam. The consumer is in the right as long as you signed a written estimate along with the shop guy.

If a shop owner/manager won't give you a written estimate, it's because they don't intend to stick to it, and you should find yourself another shop.

In the meantime, the good news is that since you didn't authorize the additional work and can blame the mistakes on him, you can take the guy to small claims court (very easy to do) for the remainder of your money...

05GT
10-03-2006, 07:58 PM
Just a small bump on this....after talking with 2 laywers, I'm looking at a minimum $16k law suit....can't small claim court that.

slavetothemuzic
10-03-2006, 08:02 PM
Just a small bump on this....after talking with 2 laywers, I'm looking at a minimum $16k law suit....can't small claim court that.

Good luck. I hope you win and get some of that $$$ back.

MaxRPM
10-07-2006, 05:58 PM
HOly...mother.......

I'm glad thier paying for their mistake....

Ender81
10-08-2006, 09:30 AM
How about you take your POS car, and go whine someplace else....cuz no one cares what you think.

NIIIIICE way to bring up a comment that is WAY old, and that was a joke nontheless...yeah, you are intelligent.

[edited to keep it on topic -TROLL]

Now to bring it back on topic.....sue that SOB at the shop until there's a for sale sign out front and he's on a corner asking for spare change:devil: . Expecting you to pay for what he broke is like a pilot crashing a plane and expecting the passengers to pay for the repairs lol. Best of luck and keep us updated on how this goes down.

05GT
10-08-2006, 10:38 AM
Now to bring it back on topic.....sue that SOB at the shop until there's a for sale sign out front and he's on a corner asking for spare change:devil: . Expecting you to pay for what he broke is like a pilot crashing a plane and expecting the passengers to pay for the repairs lol. Best of luck and keep us updated on how this goes down.

Anyway, I hate vettes lol, thats why I would never get one, no matter that I can afford one, I just don't like them. Plus, when my car is done...I'll run circles around one so why take that money and get a stock vette?
But yeah, I get what you are saying...and as the saying goes....to each their own...I'm a mustang freak, always have been...have a few of em...so what can I say lol.